1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus FL-36 Flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mcrosa, Oct 14, 2014.

1. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    Is it possible to adjust this flash manually? Like 1/4 or 1/2 power? Reason I ask I am reading the Strobist 101 basic lighting course and he talks about being able to manually adjust the power output. I have been looking at my flash and I can't figure out if it is possible.

Thanks in advance.

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Yes. Set it to manual mode and adjust the dial for power setting. It has eight power settings.

3. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    When I put the FL36 in manual mode what pops up is GN settings. Is this what you are referring too? If you are how do I translate the gn numbers to power settings.

4. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    Well I kept searching for an answer as I think OzRay, living in Australia is probably sleeping. This is what I found out.

Press MODE button on flash until word MANUAL is indicated on LCD
    Then, press and hold MODE button. Flash unit will show some settings (ILL A will indicate)
    Hit Mode few times until you see GN On, change to GN OFF using dial, and then back to normal mode (press and hold MODE). Now the flash will work in manual mode, and you can change output power from 1/1 to 1/128.

Hope this helps.

5. MrTiger

MrTiger New to Mu-43

Jun 12, 2014
    Tuscany (Italy)
    I'm playing with it in this days, and was looking for this kind of information, really thanks for the info! :)

Was also wondering if there is any handbook, or better a proper guide to the use of that flash to find on-line or wherever, sort of those book they do for DSLR cameras.
    Would really be helpful.

6. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    I also would be interested in a book or online

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz