Olympus Fl-36 Flash

shoturtle

no you need the R model. The R tells you it can be a remote. You will most likely need the cord srhead mention

specialkalways

Mu-43 Regular
oh okay I see. So I will have to purchase to cord. Thank you guys so much for the information.

Im going to look into buyin the fl36r really soon.

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
PM me if you want to sell the non-R version, most of the time I'd use it on camera anyway.

or...srhedd@gmail.com

shoturtle

If your were going to get a new fl36r, you might want to look at the metz 50 AF-1 or the sigma 610. They both tilt and swivel. Which is a nice feature if you are shooting portrait style and want to bounce off the ceiling.

Vivalo

Olympus loser
If you can live with manual flash (no TTL), you could also use a radio trigger. The flash unit then doesn't have to be even visible to the cameras onboard flash. But if you need the TTL metering, then you either need the TTL cable or FL-36R flash unit.

Sammyboy

m43 Pro
If your were going to get a new fl36r, you might want to look at the metz 50 AF-1 or the sigma 610. They both tilt and swivel. Which is a nice feature if you are shooting portrait style and want to bounce off the ceiling.

The Olympus FL-36R also has these tilt and swivel features at a MUCH lower cost than the Metz flash, not familiar with the Sigma. I would most definitely look at the Olympus FL-36R or the larger, more expensive and more powerful FL-50R.

OPSSam

Mu-43 Regular
If you can live with manual flash (no TTL), you could also use a radio trigger. The flash unit then doesn't have to be even visible to the cameras onboard flash. But if you need the TTL metering, then you either need the TTL cable or FL-36R flash unit.

Not to mention the communication system is reliant on line of sight. If the sensor on the front of the flash can't see the flash, it won't fire. And yes, a radio trigger is a great alternative if you don't care to control the flash for TTL or manual settings. You just have to manually set that on the flash and adjust it that way too.

Don't forget too, in the FP mode you can bypass the normal limit on sync speed, and shoot wireless that way too.

shoturtle

But it is not as powerful, as the guild number is 36 vs 50 and 60 with the other flash. And they are not that much more.

The Olympus FL-36R also has these tilt and swivel features at a MUCH lower cost than the Metz flash, not familiar with the Sigma. I would most definitely look at the Olympus FL-36R or the larger, more expensive and more powerful FL-50R.

shoturtle

with line of sight, that is where the swivel is handy, you can true the sensor toward the camera and still have the head aimed at the subject. But any of the flash I mention can have wireless HSS as an option.

Radio triggers and stuff like that defeats the whole pen thing. You are adding allot more stuff to the setup. My idea for off camera flash is a hotshoe stand and a flash. On occasion mount the flash on a tripod or gorilla pod for different angles.

Think that is why I am waiting for the metz 44 AF-1 as it is smaller then the metz 50 AF-1. ;) As you put the flash further away, you will need a more powerful flash to off set the distance.

Not to mention the communication system is reliant on line of sight. If the sensor on the front of the flash can't see the flash, it won't fire. And yes, a radio trigger is a great alternative if you don't care to control the flash for TTL or manual settings. You just have to manually set that on the flash and adjust it that way too.

Don't forget too, in the FP mode you can bypass the normal limit on sync speed, and shoot wireless that way too.

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
okay! Time to buy a flash.

I'm leaning toward the Metz 44 AF-1 over the FL-36R. Bigger, stronger, faster. When you want/need flash, you NEED flash, right?

The size is a concern though, I'd really like a small, handy flash... hmmm...

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
This is interesting too!

interface.tiff
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

shoturtle

should work for most the pens except the epl-1 as the usb does not support cable release.

Jimboh

Mu-43 Regular
Metz

By the way, I'll also put in a suggestion you consider Metz flashes.
I won't suggest they are better/worse, but I've been using different versions on Nikon (film) for decades and currently have it on my GH-1 now that I've gone digital, as I find them reliable and consistely meters a nice strobe photo.

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Yeah, it is a done deal. The size was my only concern, and now knowing I'm getting much more power, 4AAs instead of 2, and listed Leica compatibility on the same unit (I have a D-LUX 5 as well). I'm ordering the Metz today.

Latest threads

Top Bottom