1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Fl-36 Flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by specialkalways, Mar 7, 2011.

1. specialkalways

specialkalways Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2010
    New York
    Im using the Olympus Fl-36 flash on my epl-1 camera..

is there some kind of attachment that allows me to use my flash without it being in the hot shoe.

And if anyone has some easy steps on how to use the flash... it would be so helpful... :smile:

2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    You do not need it, the epl-1 has wireless sync with ttl. So you can set the fl36 as a slave, and control it with the built in flash.

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Unless you don't want the camera's flash to fire forward. I'm checking with Oly now, and I've been told on here that the olympus FL-CB05 cord does what you want. The cord is less than $50.00

4. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I think it can pre flash, and not fire as the shutter release. So you can have have the forward flash effect. Still waiting on the metz 44 to test it out.

5. specialkalways

Dec 21, 2010
    New York
    Is there a setting that i have to do in order for this to happen....
    or just have my pop up flash on with the fl-36.

another question. what would i need to get if i wanted to attach the flash to a tripod...

6. specialkalways

Dec 21, 2010
    New York
    Im not familiar with the term FIRE Forward????:confused:

What does that mean

7. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    the built in flash can be set to fire with the external slave flash but will preflash the data to the slave. But I believe like most ttl wireless flash, the system should be able to set to just pre flash and not fire as the camera takes the photo, but this all happen super fast.

• Like Like x 1
  8. specialkalways

Dec 21, 2010
    New York
    Thanks I will try this.....

9. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    On the fl36 you will need to put it into slave mode, and pick the channel, an you will have to match that channel on the olympus when you set the built in flash as a master. Sorry, I have not mess with the wireless flash setting yet. As I am waiting for the metz to get to the states before playing around with it.

10. jopasm

jopasm New to Mu-43

Mar 7, 2011
  11. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
  12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Just remember that all of this happens at about 186,000 miles per second.

A pre-flash that didn't affect the exposure would be awesome! I know in theory it has been around a while, I just prefer the off-camera cord routine.

I'm anxiously waiting for you to get your Metz!!! Can't wait to read the full review with pics!! (hint, hint)

13. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Yeah, I can't wait either. This is my year on off camera flash. Pick up a 60D, and have been messing around with off camera for 3 months now. And it lets you get very creative. I had on flash, but now end up getting a second flash, 2 flash stands, and reflectors. It is allot of fun to go off camera with my canon. The canon can be set to pre flash only and not fire with the main burst.

Hoping it will be just as easy with the olympus ttl. ;)

14. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    It's my understanding unless it's a FL-36R you can't fire it remotely. It would have to be wired. If it is a 36R, set the RC mode on both, pop up the PEN flash, and fire away.

15. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I do believe you are correct, I forgot that there was a regular FL before the FL-r's

16. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    One of the issues we were trying to de-code was if the PEN flash has to flash any light forward. I don't always want that added "fill" in the photo.

17. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    Just tested to make sure. There is absolutely no light in the image that is recorded coming from the E-PL1 itself. It's just a signal being sent to the flash an instant before it takes the actual picture to sync the two.

18. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    So I could really put the FL-36R or FL-50R on a Stroboframe Flip35 bracket with the camera, flash tilted straight up, raise the E-PL2 flash, set both for RC, and NOT need the FL-CB05 for proper exposures?

That is AWESOME!!! Seems weird... but AWESOME!! What else could possibly be wireless? I guess that explains why the cord isn't on the accessory sheet!

19. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    That is what I suspected, as I can set it to do that with my canon wireless ttl.

20. specialkalways

Dec 21, 2010
    New York
    I have the fl36. so i can just pop up the flash and it should work that way...