Olympus FL-36, FL-36R & FL50R are they both m4/3 compatible

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi all

I am looking to add a flashgun to my m4/3 kit and have been looking at the Olympus FL-36 because it can be had for a good price but also notice that they do a FL-36R which add Wireless operation but it quite a bit more expensive, and the more powerful FL-50R.

Can anyone confirm that these two guns are compatible with m4/3 and would work with my Lumix Cameras.

Thanks

Paul

ccunningham

Mu-43 Veteran
My only experience is with the fl36r on Olympus mft cameras. As far as I can tell, everything works properly even in wireless operation. I suspect the fl50r is the same and the fl36(except it doesn't support wireless,) but I haven't actually used them. And I haven't tried my fl36r out on a lumix series body. I have read that the fl36/50/r work fine on recent lumix models though.

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes they are compatible.

But since you have Lumix Cameras, you might just want get the cheaper non R versions, as the R versions are for wireless camera controls of the flash, which most Olympus cameras can utilize, but I think there is only one Lumix Camera that can do the wireless TTL. I don't know which camera you have.

I use Lumix Cameras too and went for a Metz Flash instead. I have purchased a 48AF and a 58AF, Each for under a hundred dollars used.
Personally I feel the only Olympus worthwhile for me to purchase is the FL50, because one can add the external battery pack to it, but since I found great deals on the Metz soI went that way instead.

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for that, one of my cameras is the GX7 which if I understand the instructions does support wireless flash.

Paul

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks for that, one of my cameras is the GX7 which if I understand the instructions does support wireless flash.

Paul

Yes, I believe that's the one Lumix that uses the same wireless flash protocol as Olympus cameras (I'm not sure if a there is another yet, and I do not feel like googling it now).
I do not have a GX7, yet, but when I do get one, my Metz flashes with work wireless using the same protocols. I would just have to update the firmware on my 48AF for that feature, since it's never been updated. (Metz added support for the Oly wireless feature in a firmware update that was available only months after the Flash was 1st released).

When I first decided to buy a flash for my µ4/3 system, I was originally searching for an Oly FL-50, but when I seen that the Metz 48AF-1 was going for two thirds the price (comparing used prices for both at the time) and it had both the wireless capability (which I could use with my future cameras that would have it) and an optical Slave trigger feature (which I can use with my current cameras) the same as the FL-50R but for, at least, half the price. I would only be sacrificing a guide number of 2 and an external power source port, but with double the internal battery power it would have longer battery life.

Ultimately My research helped me discover that METZ flashes offer at-least the same high quality as OLY but at a lower price point. Ideally I would have loved a flash with a Powerport option [Currently Oly only offers that with the FL-50R or the older FL-50] and even tho the Metz 48AF-1 did not have such an option it at least took 4 batteries rather than just 2, offering longer battery life.

I would go for a used Metz 50AF because it has the same guide number & wireless feature as the FL-50R but has strong Metal Foot, Or the 58AF with has more features including a external power port.. Unless you come across cheaper used prices for a used FL-50R. The market always fluctuates on used equipment and Price ofcourse would be a deciding factor, as all are great flashes.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
There are now several Panasonic Lumix G cameras that support the Wireless Protocol
These include the GX7 already mentioned, the G6, GH3 and GH4

Please note that there are Panasonic Equivalent models FL360 (exactly the same as Oly FL36)
and the more advanced FL360LE which has wireless connectivity, 4 battery compartment for faster charging and a video light (bit more expensive)
There is also the FL500 which is equivalent to the FL50
I think you will find that all of these flash guns are actually manufactured by Panasonic

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
There is also the Nissin i40 if you don't need to use it as a wireless optical TTL commander. Other than that, it matches or exceeds the FL-600R in most areas (including power and zoom range), in a smaller package.

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
There are now several Panasonic Lumix G cameras that support the Wireless Protocol
These include the GX7 already mentioned, the G6, GH3 and GH4

Please note that there are Panasonic Equivalent models FL360 (exactly the same as Oly FL36)
and the more advanced FL360LE which has wireless connectivity, 4 battery compartment for faster charging and a video light (bit more expensive)
There is also the FL500 which is equivalent to the FL50
I think you will find that all of these flash guns are actually manufactured by Panasonic

I think Panasonic makes compatible flashes for many camera companies, which then print their names on the flashes, including Nikon.

Latest threads

Top Bottom