Olympus FL-300R or Metz 44 AF-1

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Dave in Wales, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Simple question, which one?

Use....Macro, off to side of camera.

Price....Nothing in it.

My heart says....... the FL-300R, GN20@ISO100, beautiful little thing, I love it.

My heart says........the Metz AF-1....GN44@ISO100.

As I type I conclude it's a bit of a no-brainer really, the only thing going for the Oly is it's diminutive size allowing me to perhaps to add a second on the other side of the camera....oh, and it tilts down
  2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Here in Germany, there is a not inconsiderable price difference. Although I prefer smaller (that's why I have an MFT!), I bought the Metz for price reasons. I seldom use flash, but when I need it, the Metz is great, even for fairly large rooms. I often use it remote and handheld, triggered by my EM5 miniflash. Yes, it's bigger, but it lasts long, recycles fast and feels solid.
  3. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    IMHO metz of those hands down since you might want to use on camera and be able to bounce ?
    flash can do a lot for photos if used well so you might find more than macro uses ?

but that is me :) as you say the other is small ?
  4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    If you are after size and even lighting in macro shots, then the FL-300R. Bigger size flashes work better with softboxes and reflectors and the guide number of the FL-300R is too low of a power if you add any diffusing device in front. it will work, but will push the small flash to work harder and will shorten the life of the bulb.