1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus FL-300 anyone?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Art, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm thinking of picking up this flash for its TTL and bounce capability in a compact factor (less so for RC). There doesn't seem to be a lot of reports from users even though it's the only flash designed specifically for m43. To those who is using it, any issues? Do you find it sufficiently powerful when in bounce position?

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wouldn't get it if you plan to use it for bounce flash mainly. The beauty of it, is the RC flash feature and small size. I might consider the Nissin Speedlite Di 466 at a cheaper price, specifically for bounce flash.

3. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC

I have it, and use it when I don't want to use the heavier (but better) FL-36R.

Olympus sent me a brand new one (including new box, case, etc) due to heating issues, but overall I think its a pretty nice flash & its pretty small & portable as well!

If you don't have a flash, I would go for this one! :smile:

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm currently using Nikon SB-30 auto-flash. I use it outdoors and for macro primarily (love 1/400s Oly flash sync speed). For indoors I prefer TTL flash with bounce capability (SB-30 doesn't bounce). I haven't really explore RC function yet so it may be worth trying. I tried FL-36R once and returned it very quickly as it was too gigantic for a Pen.

flash1.
    flash2.

5. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you like the Nikon SB-30, you'll probably like the FL-300R. I primarily bought it as a small travel flash. And since you can trigger it wirelessly, just put some white cardboard over it, and hold it by hand to bounce flash in areas with high/no ceilings!

6. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just to give you an idea how the flash will look on your E-PM1 & E-PL2, here are a couple snaps:

E-PM1 -

E-PL2 -

7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It's a great little flash - my girlfriend bought it for me a few months ago. For small rooms, it can bounce ok. Obviously it's not as powerful as it's bigger brethren - but again, it's a compromise between size and "power". Something I suspect we m4/3 users are familiar with. :smile:

It's pretty darn small, and as Jonathan mentioned one of the biggest advantages of this flash other than the small size is the ability to remote trigger this via Olympus' RC system.

It takes two AAA batteries.

Edit: Oh yeah, it doesn't swivel fyi.

8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    It seems awkward that you have to tilt the whole flash rather than just the head to bounce...

9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    But on that note, you can fold it down and it automatically turns off. When you open it back up it turns on. It makes for a very compact package. It also has a built in diffuser which you can slide on.

10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Thanks. Good to know. I think I will give it a try.

11. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Hey guys, I've read some different guide numbers on this flash, is the guide number of this one 20 or 28?

Thanks in advance

12. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    It's 20 at ISO 100 and 28 at ISO 200 (which is the base ISO for modern PENs).

13. allan

allan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2009
    Thanks for the photos. When the flash is tilted all the way back in bounce mode, is there enough light thrown forward to produce catchlights in people's eyes? With my FL-36R, I have to resort to using the white business card and rubber band trick to throw a little light forward when the flash is pointed directly at the ceiling.

I like my FL-36R but wanted something a little more pocketable.

14. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    When the ceiling is high and I don't have anything I can bounce the light with, I actually just use my hand. :smile:

15. allan

allan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2009
    Thanks. Good tip! :smile:

I guess what I'm getting at is there seems to be no way to attach a bounce card to the FL-300R in order to prevent raccoon eyes when bouncing the light straight off the ceiling.

16. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    You could just have a business card scotched tape to the flash when you need to bounce? I wish these flashes came with built in white cards.

17. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    Depending on the flash/camera combination, I used to carry either a piece of card stock or plastic cut from a white laundry soap bottle and a rubber band. Both worked better than any built-in card I ever used and if I decide I was getting too much bounce I could always trim the card without feeling guilty. I haven't been carrying a flash with my PEN so I just tilt the built-in flash back to aim it up and hold a business card against the back for fill. This is good for about 10 feet with the 45mm @ f2 if the ceiling is light and not too high. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  18. allan

allan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2009
    I think I'll get the Metz 24 AF-1 instead. I don't like how the whole unit tilts back on the FL-300R, and how it doesn't point 90° straight upwards.

19. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I've been using FL-300R for over a month now with my E-PM1 abd E-PL2 and it's been great experience. The flash is MUCH better than Metz 24 (which I tried once). Wireless capability is invaluable and it's probably the easiest way to improve IQ. Also, with E-PM1 all in-camera flash settings work just like w/ built-in flash. Metz 24 is very basic and quite a bit larger (I don't flash exposure comp wirks with it)

20. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I'd get the Metz AF 44-1 for the same price. Fits in cargo pants pocket, does everything and wirelessly.

Look at this video, the 24 isn't enough smaller to justify losing features over the 44 (imho).

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LduCN2grJs0"]Metz Mecablitz 24 AF-1 välklamp Photokina fotomessil - YouTube[/ame]