Olympus FL-14

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by 0dBm, Sep 6, 2011.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Does anyone on this forum have actual experience using (not just opinion) this tiny flash?

I'm looking for compactness, very low weight, and the ability to preserve an already marginal battery life in my GH2.

I intend to use it as an EveryDay Carry (EDC) unit with the GH2 and 20/1.7. The pouch that I am currently preferring to use has just enough room for this unit.

Olympus FL-14 Electronic Flash for Micro Four Thirds

2. JayTee

JayTee Mu-43 Rookie

May 24, 2011
    Worcestershire
    I've owned a FL-14 for over a year now, I bought it at the same time as my e-p2, mainly as the e-p2 doesn't have an on board flash. It's light, very compact and takes two AAA batteries (which are also small and light). It's a nice little well made flash unit and fits in well with the e-p2.

However, the power isn't much greater than your GH2's flash and doesn't have any sort of bounce facility and feels to me quite expensive for what it is.

I've only used it a few times, and when I had to take a load of indoor shots recently I ended up going out and buying (secondhand) a FL-36R, because I didn't have the confidence that the FL-14 could do what I wanted.

I think if I had a camera with a built in flash and was worried about battery depletion, I would go for additional batteries which would be cheaper and take up less room.

That's my take on the FL-14 I'm certain other opinons will differ.

Anyway hope that is of help

Donna

• Like Like x 1
  3. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    FL14

I also bought one for my E-P2. I rarely take flash photos so I thought this tiny unit would be a good option for parties etc and also for occasional fill-in flash outdoors. I have to say it is rather weak for the high price but that aside it has done the job for me. It is particularly useful for taking pics of young children indoors to freeze movement.
    The 36 would definitely be a better choice of course if you don't mind the extra size but I personally would never carry it with me which defeats the object. Maybe having both would be my ideal option :smile:
    Hope this helps a bit anyway.
    M

• Like Like x 1