Olympus firmware updates - August 4, 2020.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Firmware updates available for E-M1X, E-M1 Mark III, E-M1 Mark II, and E-M5 Mark III.

https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/

ALL changes are just for those wanting to add the new 100-400mm lens to the camera. Nothing else is mentioned.

E-M1X update version 1.3:
Possible to use in-camera focus stacking mode with "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS".
Image stabilization performance when using "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS" has been improved.
* Roll compensation is available with the image stabilization function of the body, along with the pitch and yaw image stabilization function of the lens.
* The "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS" is not compatible with 5-axis Sync IS.

E- M1 Mark III update version 1.1:
Possible to use in-camera focus stacking mode with "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS".

E-M1 Mark II version 3.3:
Image stabilization performance when using "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS" has been improved.
* Roll compensation is available with the image stabilization function of the body, along with the pitch and yaw image stabilization function of the lens.
* The "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS" is not compatible with 5-axis Sync IS.

E-M5 Mark III version 1.2:

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Just braved my first wireless FW update with my E-M1 Mark III and the OI.Share app on my iPhone ?...

...worked no problem! ?

Worth being careful to use WiFi for the FW download though (100+Mb). And also careful to ensure reconnect to camera before uploading it.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
The dual sync IS situation is confusing to me. I hope there is some more clarifying information about us soon. Will it operate like the PL 100-400 does?

Focus Stacking is nice, but I prefer Bracketing. I also wonder if this means that the 100-400 will not be compatible with Pro Capture Low, since it wasn’t mentioned?

Since I already have the PL 100-400 mm, if dual sync IS and pro capture low are not supported, I won’t be getting this lens.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
So I think this is the fourth time I’ve posted/cross posted this now due to the Sync IS concerns. It’s not Sync IS but still can use lens+body IS. Olympus need to get their messaging sorted:

I found the real world stabilisation explanation from Gordon Laing pretty helpful

Last edited:

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
Think about it as a partial sync-is, just three axes not five. The three together should be better than the Panasonic without body ibis. It`s worth watching Gordon Laing`s (camera labs) video on youtube.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
Just watched Gordon’s and Robin’s videos, thanks. I thought the IBIS alone seemed to provide the best results On Gordon’s test, but Robin suggests at extended focal lengths the lens IS will be better.

I also asked Robin if he knew whether the lens is compatible with Pro Capture Low.

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
Wonder if Gordon had the new firmware in camera, the seems little strange that he get the worst result with lens + in body IS together.

My understanding is that it works with pro capture low...but not when used with TC as pro capture dont work with smaller aperture smaller than f8.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Wonder if Gordon had the new firmware in camera, the seems little strange that he get the worst result with lens + in body IS together.

My understanding is that it works with pro capture low...but not when used with TC as pro capture dont work with smaller aperture smaller than f8.
I’m not sure he got a worse result with lens+body IS. Looked to me that it was generally better but ‘jumped’ significantly every now and then. Presumably the sensor IS re-centring?

JonSnih

Mu-43 All-Pro
I also asked Robin if he knew whether the lens is compatible with Pro Capture Low.

Petr Bambousek wrote that it is compatible with all Oly functions:

+ Full Functionality with Oly Body – Olympus allows you to use all the features, Panasonic does not allow ProCapture L (ProCapture H only) and composite macro.
https://www.sulasula.com/en/olympus-100-400-is/

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
I’m not sure he got a worse result with lens+body IS. Looked to me that it was generally better but ‘jumped’ significantly every now and then. Presumably the sensor IS re-centring?

Yeah might be so, thought i looked worse with the conflict/jumping but migh be as you say that its overall better performing.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just did the updates to my E-M1 Mark II and the E-M1X. For whatever reason, the E-M1X took a lot longer to update, especially waiting to get to the OK part to finish it. Maybe a 10 minute wait, but it finally showed up.

Given the E-M1X took so long, I was hoping maybe they included the allegedly promised "Birds" to the Planes, Trains, Motorsports for the auto-focus/tracking but nothing. Same old stuff there.

There is also another update to the 12-100mm lens so if you have that, might help to have it mounted as it showed a firmware update to it for video.

12-100mm f/4 Pro lens update version 1.4:
Enhanced stability of AF operation when shooting video.

Aside, I used my old version of Olympus Viewer 3 (Windows 10-64x here.) which has the older Updater version 2.1.3 within it. Olympus Workspace has a newer version and that one seems to conflict with the older one that takes precedence on the USB port so it won't work. Or at least that's how I suspect it works. All the MySets, etc. seemed saved - although I never use them lacking feeble memory for what's in them between the collection of cameras.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
So I think this is the fourth time I’ve posted/cross posted this now due to the Sync IS concerns. It’s not Sync IS but still can use lens+body IS. Olympus need to get their messaging sorted:

I found the real world stabilisation explanation from Gordon Laing pretty helpful
I agree with what Laing says in the video (based on his samples) - the IBIS BY ITSELF seems to be the best option. While I agree that it is too bad that the lens doesn't support SYNC IS, all of a sudden people seem to be reacting like Oly's IBIS is garbage. Well, it seems to me that IBIS works very well (and I'm guessing it works well at 400mm too). Is it terrible with the PL100-400? I'm asking (I don't have one). So it's not going to be a deal breaker for me if the Oly lens and the Oly body IS systems don't sync up (although it would be if I already had a PL100-400, of course).

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I just did the updates to my E-M1 Mark II and the E-M1X. For whatever reason, the E-M1X took a lot longer to update, especially waiting to get to the OK part to finish it. Maybe a 10 minute wait, but it finally showed up.

Given the E-M1X took so long, I was hoping maybe they included the allegedly promised "Birds" to the Planes, Trains, Motorsports for the auto-focus/tracking but nothing. Same old stuff there.

There is also another update to the 12-100mm lens so if you have that, might help to have it mounted as it showed a firmware update to it for video.

12-100mm f/4 Pro lens update version 1.4:
Enhanced stability of AF operation when shooting video.

Aside, I used my old version of Olympus Viewer 3 (Windows 10-64x here.) which has the older Updater version 2.1.3 within it. Olympus Workspace has a newer version and that one seems to conflict with the older one that takes precedence on the USB port so it won't work. Or at least that's how I suspect it works. All the MySets, etc. seemed saved - although I never use them lacking feeble memory for what's in them between the collection of cameras.
Thanks for the 12-100mm tip. I’ll try a wireless lens update with OI.Share shortly too then.

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
They'll probably link the IBIS up in their 150-400mm f/4.5 Pro lens. Have to keep some benefits left for the big brother to sell it.

I'll be curious to see what sort of resolution and IBIS comes out of it when compared to the others.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
...all of a sudden people seem to be reacting like Oly's IBIS is garbage. Well, it seems to me that IBIS works very well...
Snap.

FWIW I liked the lens+body IS best in that test but it was very marginal between that and the body IS alone. Either was beyond perfectly acceptable (for those FL’s) in my eyes.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
I agree with what Laing says in the video (based on his samples) - the IBIS BY ITSELF seems to be the best option. While I agree that it is too bad that the lens doesn't support SYNC IS, all of a sudden people seem to be reacting like Oly's IBIS is garbage. Well, it seems to me that IBIS works very well (and I'm guessing it works well at 400mm too). Is it terrible with the PL100-400? I'm asking (I don't have one). So it's not going to be a deal breaker for me if the Oly lens and the Oly body IS systems don't sync up (although it would be if I already had a PL100-400, of course).
It’s not that I think that Olympus IBIS is garbage. It’s just that I already have the Pan Leica, so I already am getting IBIS. I’m trying to determine whether it’s worth it to switch.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
It’s not that I think that Olympus IBIS is garbage. It’s just that I already have the Pan Leica, so I already am getting IBIS. I’m trying to determine whether it’s worth it to switch.
Yes, I understand that (that's why I said "although it would be [a deal breaker] if I already had a PL100-400, of course"). We both thought that the IBIS alone seemed the best from Robin and Gordon's results.

I saw in the comments on Robin's video what you mentioned that he said the lens IS is better at high mag. To me this almost implies that the latest camera firmware update might cause the camera to EXPECT that if you have that lens mounted that the lens will be doing the IS at high mag, and might actually stop doing the IBIS!

So even if you told us whether IBIS on your camera worked well with the PL100-400 at 400mm (does it?), it might NOT imply it would work well with the Oly 100-400 at 400. Yikes! You are right - we need clarification. We can hope that they just haven't gotten their act together on the software end for syncing, and that a future update will get the sync to work (I'm thinking that the lens can probably do it, hardware-wise). Or at the very least give us some clarification.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
Yes, and I wonder if the reviewer’s had this firmware update when they tested the lens?

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I updated an E-M1 II, the Olympus 12-100, and the Panasonic 12-32. All went smoothly.

Latest threads

Top Bottom