1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus financials

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Fmrvette, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
  2. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Not to worry. Olympus is out of harm's way. Sony is their backstop. Sony is, or will be, the largest shareholder of Olympus. That and the joint venture on the OMD sensor gives me Minolta flashbacks.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 As long as the cameras keep on coming! :eek:

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +2 And fast primes. :smile:

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

5. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    Thankfully, the worst is behind them. The OM-D and sensor were a god-send to Olympus. Couldn't ask for better timing.

6. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    I think the whole Pen line-up is good for Olympus. :thumbup:

7. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    While its helpful from the standpoint of capital expenditure in their consumer camera business, Olympus makes twice as much revenue, and 27 times more operating income, from medical imaging, with their best seller being endoscopes.

The OM-D EM-5 is nice for the division, but the survival of the company depends on doctors shoving endoscopes up people's rear apertures.

The quarterly presentation slides

8. w00cash666

w00cash666 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Lukasz Glowacki

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It should - people, Sony is not the savior for Olympus, but the grim reaper. Sony will buy it for the medical revenue and eliminate the losing camera division (and thereby a competitor for NEX). The best you can hope for out of this deal is Zuiko lenses for NEX.

10. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I personally think that Olympus achieved/created a different market and a quite giant one. I think they made the first serious/pro-travel-camera with the latest Pens and OMD. Which is something that works for amateurs and pros at the same time. For people that has FF and people that have P&S cameras. if they keep digging into that direction good things could come to them, instead of fighting against Canikon to see who's better. They deliver cameras both capables of sharing nice jpegs for facebook and museum-print-quality raw files. Not saying that no other camera can do that, its just that the latest Pens and specially the OMD do it better without the bulkiness of the DSLRS and without the short-featured P&S. if they move the pieces right, they could get something big....

11. tommydata

tommydata Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 12, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thomas Dattoli
    Just trying to understand, why would Sony care about the Zuiko label when they already have Carl Zeiss, which is much better know among amateurs? Regardless, they even seem to be phasing out the Zeiss name too. Mr. Sony's ego seems to assure that he makes certain his name goes on everything he makes. I think if Sony does gobble up Oly, what we may see are a continuation of the Pen and OM-D lines as Sony products. I wonder though, will they continue the m43 format? I heard that Panny is also interested in Oly. For us Oly enthusiasts, that would be much better.