1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus finally released the firmware 2.0 for the EM-1....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrPhotoBob, Sep 15, 2014.

1. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I was finally able to update my EM-1 to the new firmware 2.0 tonight. I checked it earlier and it was not there but I just looked for it again and to my surprise it was there waiting on me.... Everything updated just fine but it did remove all of my settings. Well, I guess we can't have everything.

• Like Like x 2
  2. chimopaul

chimopaul New to Mu-43

Aug 20, 2014
    I just got the update as well.

3. Rangerob

Rangerob Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2013
    Can anyone with the new update please let me know if the slow evf/screen refresh rate has been fixed during the use of manual focus with peaking? Is it now similar to panasonic, and sony's implementation?
    Thanks.

4. TheMightyShwa

TheMightyShwa New to Mu-43

Mar 25, 2014
    Yes peaking is now usable, slight drop in frame rate compared to normal live view but much, much better.

5. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Peaking finally usable--nice.

Having to set all of my configuration settings all over again--not nice.

6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    *runs to grab camera*

7. Yohan Pamudji

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Thought about making another thread on this, but I think this is a good place for it too.

I've noticed a couple undocumented features of v2.0 firmware, but I'm senile so I could just be forgetting that things worked this way before. Here's what I've noticed:

- In C-AF the black outline of the selected AF point remains after it acquires initial lock.

- With the 12-40mm it now indicates the current focal length on the screen/EVF when you change the zoom or focus.

Anybody notice anything else interesting in the new firmware?

8. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I'm sure the focal length for lens including 4/3s was displayed, the difference i've noticed is the zoom ring direction is now displayed above the length.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yohan Pamudji

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Is that what's different? All I could figure was that that area of the screen looked different so I thought it was the display of the mm, period. That arrow does look different.

10. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    Really? Do I understand correctly ... after the firmware update all user customizations are lost? Back to factory default settings like a new camera?

11. lex22

lex22 New to Mu-43

Nov 20, 2013
    Is it my imagination, or is the font in live view slightly different?

12. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm updating it right now :smile:

13. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    has anyone else noticed my total obsession with the silly vintage filter? my yard gnome, dog, and vase of flowers have noticed, thats for sure!
    OMG I LOVE IT
    i feel so silly!

*hangs head in shame... smiles slightly in utter glee*

• Like Like x 3
  14. Yohan Pamudji

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Indeed. That thing we always complain about where there's no way to save our settings externally... it bit me in the butt. I'm still trying to remember all of my settings.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gs3xr_fun

gs3xr_fun Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    juro
    It did reset the custom settings and now I can't get the full display when I press the shutter halfway after using magnify. I went through the menu several times and I can't find where the option is to reset Magnify with halfway press.

16. Tor

Tor Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 1, 2014
    The focal length was actually displayed before ver. 2, depending on your selected info on screen

17. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Olympus does give that warning, but you've got to look at the update details first before updating if you want to know all that will change & one thing that will definitely change are the user settings (except lens AF adjustment data). http://dl01.olympus-imaging.com/ww/ud2/ENU/0001/1090/index20a.html

Sorry, but I like to quote that little joke;

:biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  18. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    Thanks for letting me know.

In that case, the first item on the list of firmware improvements should have been:
    - new feature to allow export and import of saved user settings.

That should be fundamental on a camera with so many customization options.

19. shg2

shg2 Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2014
    NY
    The EVF lag when on CAF and half pressed for focusing is still there and probably worse than before. It does not look like this was fixed. I can't recall how the EVF lag was when peaking was on before the update so can't comment on that.

20. Rangerob

Rangerob Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2013
    With the new update, during manual focus with focus peaking, does the screens exposure/ illumination still kinda dim down a little and almost look like a black and white image?
    Thanks.