1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus File Naming System

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dogman, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    I'm wondering if others with Olympus cameras (e.g., E-PL5 and OM-D) have as much problem as I do in the way Olympus establishes its file naming system. The default is "Pmdd0000" where m=month and dd=date. Olympus then assigns a consecutive number to 0000, except I just discovered that the numbers don't go up to 9999. They go up only to 0999, and then start again at 0001.

I changed my file name to "OLY_0000" only to discover that I need to change the name after shooting 999 frames.

I'm curious to know what others on this forum use as your file naming system? Are you satisfied with the default file naming?

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I never mess with it in any of my cameras. Lightroom takes care of them when I import the files. EXIF and metadata are more important than file names.

3. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks for your thoughts. I had to change the Olympus file names because they duplicated and conflicted with the Panasonic file names.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I think I'm safe. I don't imagine that I will ever shoot more than 1000 with one camera in one day. I really like Oly's date format of file naming.

5. fluberman

fluberman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 19, 2012
    Indonesia
    Alex
    I have OM-D, GX1 and Olympus DSLR E-620. To prevent any possible filename conflicts, I set the prefixes of OMD-D and E-620 to different letters. So for OM-D: Amddxxxx, for E-620: Omddxxxx and for GX1: Pxxxxxx.

6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    My Oly pic numbers have always gone higher than 0999...ten agail I only have changed the first letter for my cameras to identify them as I have several Olys.

7. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Interesting observation.
    I changed my file naming to have my three initials at the start, then whatever Olympus wants after that. It turns out I get my initials, then a single digit for the day of the month (e.g., 3 for the third, thirteenth, or twenty-third, then more digits as in the first post.
    It looks like the last 4 digits continue in sequence (?till 9999), and when the date changes the 4th digit changes accordingly, but the later ones stay in sequence.
    Seems kind of an oddball system to me.
    Why the default "P" at the beginning?

8. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

+1 Same here. I never even knew what the file naming system was, TBH.