Olympus Feature Request Poll

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BrundleFly, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Portrait rotation mode in viewfinder

13 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Backup Mysets to avoid losing settings when changing firmware or hardware

40 vote(s)
    58.0%
  3. Name Mysets

35 vote(s)
    50.7%
  4. Have metering follow the focus point in both Spot and CW

22 vote(s)
    31.9%
  5. Split view in magnification mode

18 vote(s)
    26.1%
  6. In camera panorama stitching

18 vote(s)
    26.1%
  7. Customizable Super Control Panel

40 vote(s)
    58.0%
  8. Adjust exposure compensation in M mode when ISO is set to auto

17 vote(s)
    24.6%
  9. More intuitive control over auto ISO parameters

17 vote(s)
    24.6%
  10. Link peaking to magnification when using legacy lenses

14 vote(s)
    20.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BrundleFly

BrundleFly Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Ontario
    With the upcoming Olympus summit approaching in a few weeks Olympus visionairy Jamie MacDonald had kindly extended an invitation to the community to share our ideas for new features in future Olympus products (hopefully in the form of firmware).

The following poll is based on ideas generated in another thread by myself and some fellow OMD users. If a feature you are looking for is not included send your suggestion to Jamie directly video embedded above.

Thanks for your participation!

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Dials that don't fall off, or stop functioning properly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Ability to have LCD display exposure info, while EVF displays liveview. Many other brands can do this. It's useful to be quickly reminded of the exposure info. If there's a way to setup an OMD like this I haven't found it.

For example (I know it's a DSLR, but you get the idea):

390404-nikon-d7100-rear-lcd.

4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I would like to be able to back up all of the settings, not just MySets settings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    1. Adjust exposure compensation in M mode when ISO is set to auto

2. More intuitive control over auto ISO parameters
    Those features might actually get me to switch over to an Olympus camera, especially now that they have the touchpad AF that Panasonic introduced!

I see #1 as the biggest lost opportunity with the GX8, since it actually has a dedicated exposure compensation dial.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Especially if they do it with firmware.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Then I'd like to get a new sensor with the next firmware. :flypig:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Being able to customize the SCP seemed like a natural thing to do almost from the minute I turned it on. Hopefully it would resize if a number of blocks were removed. It would be nice if total customizing could be effected through USB cable and the updater software. This should also allow for a complete storage of setup and the option to use the camera menu/buttons/dials or the program to make changes. Then no matter what happens to the camera, these settings could be available. And it would make setting up a second body a snap. Plug it in...upload settings...and you're done. I'm a long time radio hobbyist and this ability has been around for over 10 years in both scanners and amateur radio.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BrundleFly

BrundleFly Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Ontario
    Yah, it seems insane that a camera line with so many bells and whistles doesn't allow you to do something as simple as save menu settings. I wonder if it is something that is hard to program or something that Olympus engineers just never thought about. Maybe they could even implement a WIFI based solution through the mobile app.

I also don't understand why SCP customization will be available through tehering but not in camera, I hope that is a sign of things to come!

Turbofrog, didn't realize the GX8 didn't allow for that either. Cannot believe that too manufacturers so keen on attracting advanced users have yet to explore what I consider to be a pretty essential and practical feature.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  10. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    isn't there an option on some other cameras/brands to do just that, via the "save settings on memory card" trick?

11. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    The need is not just save and restore camera settings between firmware upgrades. If you go on an expensive or once in a lifetime trip, the last thing you want to carry is just one camera body. You need to get able to deal with a lost or damaged body by having a spare. Also you may need to have two separate lenses (i.e. 100-300 and 40-150) on two bodies to rapidly shoot both near and far. So you end with two bodies on a trip. You may own one and rent the other or own both. That does not matter.

But now you have programed one with all the default settings and MySets you want. So how do you make sure the second body is programmed the same? That would be a piece of cake if you could download and upload the camera settings to your computer. This simple approach could save you lots of time and frustration in moving from one firmware to another, or programming more than one body uniformly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree. Harmony remote controls from Logitech are programmed that way. Very easy. And very much saved.

13. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    I don't see Jamie MacDonald a visionary of anything, what a joke.

14. I'm a bit surprised that the idea of interfacing a camera and computer, for the purposes of set up and configuration, hasn't happened already. Similar tech has been going on in the big 3 radio companies...ICOM, Kenwood, and Yaesu...never mind Uniden...for several years now. And they're all Japanese companies...surprised that this thinking didn't migrate over to the camera companies. The idea of being able to change set ups quickly would be a real help to some pros I would imagine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I've got a new feature request: when in MF or when using a non-electronic lens, activate Focus Peaking when half-pressing the shutter.
    (As a configurable option.) This would free up a button I have mapped to peaking.

Barry

• Like Like x 2
  16. BrundleFly

BrundleFly Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Ontario
    I agree with all of you that transferring settings across cameras would be hugely beneficial. The one time I shot with two OMD's simultaneously, I had to spend a great deal of time configuring the second to my liking. All of you examples seem to suggest that allowing users to save settings would be very technically feasible. Do any other camera manufactures offer this feature?

Barry, I really like your idea. I usually rely on both peaking and magnification for critical focus when using legacy glass and having to constantly disengage and engage both with 2 different buttons is a pain.

17. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Wayne
    I've got a request for a feature that I don't see much talk about - wifi transfer of images directly to a computer a-la Fuji's sync to PC mode on their XT's. Would be a very helpful use of wifi rather than the hobbled social media tool it appears to be at the moment on the E-M5 MkII. I 'presume' this is just a software fix and not hardware related since the camera already has wifi?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. n3eg

n3eg Mu-43 Regular

I want an Olympus with IBIS and focus peaking the same size as the GM1.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BrundleFly

BrundleFly Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Ontario
    I didn't realize Fuji's had that function, that would be useful. I am no engineer but that definitely seems possible through a software update.

Based on this discussion, I think Olympus could really enhance the user experience if they offered an extensive cloud service where users could backup JPEG/RAWs directly from their camera and immediately download saved presets and even firmware updates.

20. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Wayne
    When I was looking at choosing a mirrorless system, I narrowed it down to the Olympus E-M5 MkII or Fuji XT10. The Fuji wireless transfer of images to a PC got me very excited about having a camera with wifi capabilities (up until then I was ambivalent about wifi). I unfortunately assumed that this feature would also come with the Olympus cameras, since it's 'wifi' capable - right?

Alas, no....:shakehead:

Doesn't make me regret me decision to go with Olympus - I adore the E-M5 MkII. Just wish the wifi was more photographer centric rather than social media centric.

And on a side note - really struggle to get my android phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) to sync with the E-M5 MkII?