Olympus fast 1.0, 1.2 prime lenses are coming

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Halaking, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Google translate from http://www.fotosidan.se/cldoc/olympus-chef-berattar-om-kommande-produkter.htm

Here is a article from mirrorless rumor talks about some Olympus fast primes patent. http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/olympus-promises-new-super-fast-mft-lenses

OLYMPUS CHIEF TALKS ABOUT UPCOMING PRODUCTS
    New supertelen, extraordinary lenses, multi-IS features and a higher resolution sensor. These are some of the things that Setsuya Kataoka, director of the Olympus OM-D series, talks about in an interview with Fotosidan.
    Setsuya Kataoka responsible for Olympus product planning and leading the development of the OM-D series. We meet him in connection with the launch of the Olympus E-M5 Mark II, but our discussion will quickly into the future.
    The image sensor determines the image quality and the features of a camera can provide. Setsuya Kataoka says that E-M5 Mark II has a new sensor compared to the E-M5. The new sensor will enable a silent electronic shutter.
    - Even if we try to be creative so put the sensor limits of what we can do. We come with desires to the sensor manufacturer, but do not always get what we wanted. I can say so much that we are going higher resolution come.
    Other items on the wish list are higher dynamic range, possibly through multiple readouts from the sensor and global shutter. Thus a sensor that can read out all pixels simultaneously. A global shutter would eliminate the problems associated with an electronic shutter, which jello-effects when filming.
    Setsuya Kataoka out that a global shutter would enable faster continuous shooting, but not necessarily provide faster autofocus.
    Extraordinary lenses
    Olympus has focused heavily on getting a pro series with weather sealed lens that matches the top model E-M1. Right now considering Olympus whether to develop a super telephoto high brightness, or a super-telephoto zoom with a little lower brightness.
    When the pro series is getting full, it may be necessary to develop a bit more specialized or extraordinary lens, such as lens with ultra-high brightness. When asked if it is possible to come up with tilt / shift lens screws Setsuya Kataoka at himself and says:
    - Not even Canon and Nikon are selling very many tilt / shift lens.
    Sales of cameras and lenses drops. In order to strengthen its economy going Olympus Camera developers to begin working with developers in other parts of the group, such as the medical business.
    Things to do more niche products is one way to increase profitability, but Setsuya Kataoka out that it is difficult for Olympus to develop a niche camera that Nikon DF and take properly paid. This is because Olympus has a smaller price range up to the top model than Canon and Nikon. Instead, focus Olympus accessories. We always try to have a systems approach, he says.
    I ask Setsuya Kataoka if there is no lens which he is particularly proud of. He delivers the answer with a broad smile: 40-150 mm f / 2.8 Pro.
    - When I ordered the lens from the development and specified cost limits, I did not think the picture quality would be so high as it was.
    Self he uses most 12mm f / 2nd
    New features at once
    Setsuya Kataoka highlights like to Olympus advanced image stabilization. New OM-D E-M5 Mark II has received the same 5-axis image stabilization as the E-P1. Now working with the Olympus how they can take advantage of image stabilization in more ways. In the E-M5 Mark II used image stabilization to move the sensor half a pixel for each exposure, thus increasing the resolution to 40 megapixels. In the future it may be necessary with a feature that enables you to astro-photography. Pentax has today such a function.
    With the 7D Mark II Canon introduced a technique that reduces the influence of flashing lamps. The camera analyzes flashes and avoid releasing the shutter when the lamp flashes. Setsuya Kataoka says that Olympus looking at a similar anti-flicker solution.
    Finally, I ask how the collaboration with Panasonic looks. Setsuya Kataoka mean they do not cooperate on product development. It's just about the need to make changes in the basic MFT system as they make contact.

• Like Like x 4
  2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    A small, affordable, 8-9mm lens (even if it wasn't fast...f2.8 would be plenty fast for us) would sell like hotcakes. People have been begging for that lens for years. But...it looks like we'll have to wait a little longer...

• Like Like x 3
  3. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    I NEED this lens!!!! An 8 or 9mm prime would be my favorite even if it was a 5.6 for landscapes!!!!! I don't need the Bokeh. I want a wide prime lens with DOF. I will put this on my wish list. I was wanting the 9-18 but the price is off the chart for me. I keep watching all the sales forums......

• Like Like x 2
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    halaking

your thread title is complete and utter nonsense

at no point are f/1.0 or other lenses mentioned.

That interview was at the best case a native Japanese speaker conversing in English to a native Swedish speaker in English thats then published in Swedish and returned to English by the magic of google.

Lets add in that I assume Olympus have approved him to speak to the press so he will say nothing beyond the corporate line.

k

• Like Like x 1
  5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

there is the bodycap lens

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_v325040bw000_bcl_0980_fisheye_body_cap.html

you really ought to think about your priorities... there is a reason why wide non fisheyes cost big bucks... they are difficult to make and have a very very limited audience.

you don't 'need' any particular lens... you just need to learn to take photos

:)

K

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I have the 7-14mm f4 and, to be honest, the number and type of landscapes that can be effectively taken at 7mm are few and far between. You actually need a completely different mindset to make effective use of ultra-wide lenses.

7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Does anybody care what the brand is, as long as we get a wide range of good lenses?

And, why isn't this thread in the 'Native Lenses' forum?

• Like Like x 2
  8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, I have the 9-18 (use it for travelling), and I like it, but I also have the 14 and the 20, which I like even more. If an 8-9 prime came out, I'd switch to an all-primes setup for travelling (8/9, 14, 20, 45), as opposed to my current 7.5, 9-18, 45. I'd love to shoot with the primes, but right now I can't justify taking all my lenses with me when I travel, so the 14/20 stay at home.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    My bad, I didn't read the whole translate, yes, it's not mention it at all.
    I was reading an article from http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/olympus-promises-new-super-fast-mft-lenses , and the first article was a link from the 2nd article, you can see some patent from Olympus for the fast primes.

Bildschirmfoto2014-02-21um093227_zps3e2175c5.

10. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    This is true. A more accurate translation is that "extremely bright lenses" could happen. Nothing more specific than that. Although still very vague, I'm sure we'll see brighter lenses in the future. I can't see why we wouldn't.

11. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    apart from having fast / bright aperture, i think olympus should add weatherproofing to the future pro prime lenses as well. fuji is already coming up with weathersealed prime lenses.

12. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Patents mean next to nothing. Companies file a hundred patents a day, 99.9% of which never see the light of day.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I think Olympus next step should be more profitable weather sealed bright pro prime lenses, that makes m43 become complete System, also more buyers from DSLR users.

• Like Like x 1
  14. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    I've been wanting a high quality 8/9mm prime THAT TAKES FILTERS for sea/landscapes ever since I got my EM5 15 months ago - f2.8/3.5 would be fine. Sort of considering the Kowa 8.5 but it's pretty pricey. The Black Magic 10.5 with the included variable ND seems good value, but it's difficult finding stills reviews for this lens and 21mm isn't ideal. Oh well....

15. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I would rather see semi-pro zooms eg 12-70 f4, 50-150 f4, excellent optics, slightly lighter 'enthusiast' construction, $750-ish.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Great suggest!!!

17. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Not going to happen. And, to be honest, I won't buy these f4 lens. For me it's either kick-ass f2.8 pro zoom (so I can justify weight and cost for IQ) or cheap f3.5-4.0++ lenses for leisure time around in good light.

18. adi10times

adi10times Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Michael Adi P.
    In the future, I'd love to have a mid grade zoom from Olympus, just like 4/3 (Standard, High Grade, Super High Grade).
    I mean :
    standard grade : 14-42 kit lens
    high grade : maybe a m4/3 version of 14-54/2.8-3.5
    super high grade : Pro 12-40/2.8

Make it small and non weather sealing, price could be around $500 (compete with Fujinon 18-55 :) )

19. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    +1

20. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I always find it amusing that forum photographers want more prime lenses, when in the real world, most professional photographers use zooms, apart from one or two primes (which are already available in m4/3) to complement their needs. I reckon if Olympus provided 1000 different prime lenses in every conceivable focal length and f stop, people would still complain that there aren't enough choices and/or there aren't enough cheap ones.

Olympus and Panasonic would well and truly have researched what lenses in the Nikon/Canon camp sell and which would be worth producing/considering. The interview hinted as much when asked about tilt/shift lenses - totally pointless.

• Like Like x 2