Olympus F2.8 60mm Macro

newphoto1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Colin
I just ordered my second copy of this lens, after selling the first one. My plan was to let the 40-150 Pro serve my macro needs, but planning a trip to Costa Rica this summer and I just think I might find a macro very useful. My first copy was only used once on a tripod to photograph wildflowers. I used it on a tripod and I thought the images were a little soft. I manually focused using focus peaking, and I did not turn off IBIS. Shutter speeds would have put me in the shutter shock range. I also found the 1To1 switch function a little confusing. I can return this lens any time for two weeks. What am I missing here? This lens is pretty highly rated by websites and users, although some report difficulty using manual focus. Would welcome any opinions.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Macro is not the easiest thing to do. Technique is important, as is practice. IBIS is good, tripod is good. Small aperture is good. Flash is good, or very good light. The 60mm macro is an excellent lens - persevere!!

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
The 60mm will reset itself whenever you turn your camera off. So you will need to reselect close-up with the focus limiter. It also turns back on Auto Focus every time you move it. I get very frustrated by mine, but the photos that I get are worth it. And it gets significantly closer than the 40-150 PRO.

Real Name
Chris
I had this lens too. It was really sharp sometimes and then blurry other times. This was not all due to my poor form. I believe this thing had a shutter shock issue when coupled to my E-P5. This was before the "fix" to the E-P5. I ended up selling it because I was disappointed too many times. Looking back, I think shutter shock was the issue that caused me grief. I now have the 75mm and don't need a macro that bad so my interest in the 60 is gone. It was a nice lens when it worked for me.

newphoto1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Colin
Yes macro photography is difficult. I have been doing it and teaching it for many years. I don't think technique had much to do with my soft results, but maybe the zero second shock setting will help. I also wasn't aware that it reset auto focus with movement, or resetting the focus limiter when turned off. All good info, but I can't help wondering what Olympus engineers were thinking when they designed it this way???

johnvanatta

Mu-43 Veteran
It's a serious contender for the sharpest lens I've ever shot, at least in the center at close focus. Never had it go soft except when focus didn't latch.

Did you try testing it outside of shutter shock speeds? You don't have to do anything fancier than just walking around outside in daylight. That's the first priority, to decide if it's a lens issue or a camera issue.

Ted

Mu-43 Regular
I got mine a few weeks ago and have so much fun when I take it out to play, though I'm pretty rubbish with it! I was really surprised by how difficult macro photography really is, but it's so worth it when you move the images over to your computer and just gawk at the detail. Thinking I might need to get a monopod to keep it steady though and I still need to invest in some sort of flash for it..

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
The issue the OP had with his lens was probably answered by the OP himself in the first post

He used it with his camera mounted on a tripod and didn't turn of IBIS, that was why he got soft results, IBIS would be turned of when a tripod is used. It is in the cameras instructions.

When all else fails read the instructions ;)

Last edited:

Ted

Mu-43 Regular
The issue the OP had with his lens was probably answered by the OP himself in the first post

He used it with his camera mounted on a tripod and didn't turn of IBIS, that was why he got soft results, IBIS would be turned of when a tripod is used. It is in the cameras instructions.

When all else fails read e instructions ;)

I had no idea you were supposed to do that! What about on a windy day if the camera is moving a little bit? Leave it on I assume?

banj911

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bennet Duhig
I think this is a stellar lens. I have found that I have the greatest success by using a flash to light the subject, as the flash duration essentially becomes the default shutter speed.
I have also found that, especially using the flash, that maximum sharpness is achieved by setting IBIS to off, even hand held.
One thing I have done is set FN Button 2 to enable manual focus, this way I can push the limiter wheel to enable max magnification, press the FN2 button and autofocus is disabled. This way I can quickly establish the focal distance and sway towards and away from the subject to nail focus on the live view screen prior to pressing the shutter. I never use image magnification for fine focus, the live screen is plenty good enough for me.
Cheers

newphoto1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Colin
I suppose IBIS on might have caused the soft results I got with macro on a tripod, but using the 12-40 F2.8 on a tripod with IBIS on does not affect sharpness at all???

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
When you use a macro lens you are magnifying everything, including any image or camera and with IBIS Turned on sensor movement, with the 12-40 it will still effect it but because of the lower magnification you probably will not see the effect under normal conditions, unless your tripod is pants that is ;)

newphoto1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Colin
When you use a macro lens you are magnifying everything, including any image or camera and with IBIS Turned on sensor movement, with the 12-40 it will still effect it but because of the lower magnification you probably will not see the effect under normal conditions, unless your tripod is pants that is ;)
Makes sense. I will be sure it is turned off on a tripod. Thanks.

faithblinded

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
I don't use it a lot, but I do love my Oly 60 when I do. It's sharp wide open for macro and portraiture. I go against the grain and leave IBIS on all the time, even tripod mounted, and have no issues with this lens showing soft performance. I do use a cable release when shooting tripod mounted macro.

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
I don't use it a lot, but I do love my Oly 60 when I do. It's sharp wide open for macro and portraiture. I go against the grain and leave IBIS on all the time, even tripod mounted, and have no issues with this lens showing soft performance. I do use a cable release when shooting tripod mounted macro.

I do the same. I would like to see an actual test that shows a tripod photo is better with IBIS off, than on. I would do it, but I'm just too lazy.

johnvanatta

Mu-43 Veteran
Perhaps my recent experience is relevant. I was using the Oly 60 at near 1:1 on some lichen spots. I have a metal screw-in hood mounted on it. I was stabilizing the camera by propping the edge of the hood on the rock. I had IBIS on initially, but I noticed when the camera was completely immobilized by pressure on the lens hood, things got visibly worse in the EVF. Turning IBIS off solved it.

Anecdotal, yes, but enough to convince me that there is merit to the idea that when there is no movement to correct, the IBIS starts making its own.

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
When I use my one Its always on my G6 so no Image Stabilization on or off worries (Its always off as the G6 & Lens has none) I try to always use flash so the duration of the flash acts as the effective shutter speed removing all camera shake issues and I if I am not using flash then I always try use the cameras electronic shutter as that gives a sharper image, as long as nothing is moving that is.

Paul

newphoto1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Colin
I do the same. I would like to see an actual test that shows a tripod photo is better with IBIS off, than on. I would do it, but I'm just too lazy.
When my new 60MM Macro gets delivered on Monday, I am going to test it on a tripod with same closeup, Ibis on and off. I will post the results if any.

zulfur666

Mu-43 Veteran
no tripod needed..... HOLD your breath, hold steady, keep IBIS on, Center AF on, fire at your hearts content. AF works great, never use MF on this lens. Just sayin.... :)
Heck I mostly use the 60mm Macro for underwater photography and thats a skill on its own.... never have a tripod there.... :) All great tack sharp images. One of my favorite lenses when underwater.
Here's an example, those sea slugs are half the size of your pinky :)

View media item 42111

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom