1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus F HALF Frame!! is this a good buy!?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Layer-cake, May 5, 2013.

1. Layer-cake

Layer-cake Mu-43 Rookie

Hey y'all, just looking for some opinions here. have a chance to buy a olympus F half frame camera with a 38mm 1.8 and 50–90mm F3.5 with original boxes and case in seriously mint condition for about $250 equivalent in my currency!? firstly not sure if this is a decent price to pay,only really want the 38mm lens for my lumix camera and was thinking I could sell the rest? have seen a couple on eBay but only at the higher buy now price, what could I expect to fetch? would really like to keep it but I am very much into my bargain buying and even 250 is way more than I would consider parting with for a system I wouldn't use enough to justify!!

it's the first of its kind of come across in south Africa so I'm really keen but I'm stuck between two worlds......:drinks:

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Why would I want to buy a half-frame without all the proper lenses for it? :wink: :biggrin:

3. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

The 38mm is a great walk-around lens on a Micro 4/3 body but there is no point in keeping the 50–90mm F3.5 zoom - it is heavy, soft and slow.

Use the "advanced search" function on eBay to search completed listings to see what the 50–90mm and the Pen F body will fetch separately, then don't forget to deduct the eBay and PayPal fees (15% or so).

I was pretty successful in building up a nice set of Pen F/FT lenses by doing exactly what you are considering (buying kits, selling the pieces), but it was a lot of work and the eBay costs make the proposition more expensive than it seems. But F/FT lens prices are definitely increasing so, if the lens is in exceptionally good condition AND you know you are going to stick with this format for at least a couple of years, I'd say to do it.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The price is pretty good (the Pen F is a bit of a collectible for some folks), but if you just want a ~40mm lens that can be adapted to m4/3, I think the Konica 40/1.8 is equally good, and considerably more affordable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. the.growler

The Konica 40/1.8 is a great lens, but I'm going to encourage the OP to go with the Zuiko 38/1.8 for two reasons: better contrast and handling.

Contrast: Like all pancake lenses, the Konica 40/1.8's front element is pushed right to the front of the lens and is subject to a lot of stray light from high angles of incidence which has the effect of reducing image contrast. And, as far as I am aware, there is no good lens hood option for the Konica 40/1.8 to block this stray light. The Zuiko 38/1.8, on the other hand, benefits from a "normal" lens design, with the front element being recessed and therefore better protected from incident light. Plus, there are two very attractive lens hood options: the insanely cool Olympus S-45 screw-clamp aluminum hood or, if one's budget can't stretch to an S-45, there are easily available (and cheap) collapsible rubber hoods in 43mm screw-mount.

Handling: Because the Konica 40/1.8 was designed for a "normal" SLR register, the adapter is about an inch deep. Even though the lens is fairly light, that means that the center of mass of the lens is pushed from the camera body and, given how light Micro 4/3 bodies are, I always felt that my Konica 40/1.8 made my camera nose-heavy. The Zuiko 38/1.8, on the other hand, has a register that is very similar to a rangefinder lens and the adapter is only 10mm deep. As a result, the center of mass of the lens is pulled close in to the body of the camera, which makes the camera sit back into your hands as opposed to tipping forward. This is obviously a very subjective impression, but it made a big difference to me when I was choosing between the two alternatives.

The bottom line is that either lens is a great lens - what counts is that you like what you buy and that it gets out to take more pictures. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Layer-cake

Layer-cake Mu-43 Rookie

honestly these are very nice answers:) many thanks guys!!

I do own a 40mm Konica and I have to agree it does seem to suffer from the stray light causing flare at extreme angles personally I prefer not to use a lens hood mainly due to the increase in size of the whole setup. that being said the lens I use the most is the Konica 50mm 1.4 which is large and properly heavy but it my favourite lens in my collection for many reasons plus it looks proper badass on my GF1;)

the whole mirrorless market really is having a direct impact on the prices of old lenses and the collect ability especially for rangefinder type and size lenses are probably always going to have a high demand and most likely will never drop in price so even of I hang onto the rest for a while I won't have to much to worry about.

the one thing I really liked from what I've read is the 38mm has a field of view of 55mm on half frame which will be roughly the same on micro 4/3 and considering the prices of even reasonably fast 21-24mm SLR lenses, 250 USD isn't a bad price to pay. the IQ is meant to be very good on Olympus lenses but I did see a couple of comments that the 38 is a bit softer than the 40mm but really these type of lenses other than from our expensive supplier/collectors down here are rarely seen, so I'm leaning more toward the direction of not passing it off.

@the.growler many thanks for the incite on eBay, the only reason I even look on the site is for price references and have wondered what complications would arise.

had my camera with the 20mm lens for about 2 years and I've only gotten into manual focus lenses in the last 8 months and reckon my camera with my skill level will last me another 3 years unless I seriously cock up at some point with my camera!!

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm no expert on half-frame PENs, but a 38mm lens on a :43: body is going to give a "full frame" FOV of approximately 76mm (not 55mm). This is going to be just a bit tighter than the FOV of your Konica 40mm. The FOV the lens exhibited on its native system is immaterial.

8. Layer-cake

Layer-cake Mu-43 Rookie

I was a bit confused about that and did think it rather strange as my understanding of using film lenses on a 4/3 format would effectively double the FOV, here's the reference I was going off Olympus Pen F - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but in light of what you said I was probably reading/understanding it incorrectly.

9. Layer-cake

Layer-cake Mu-43 Rookie

it actually still confuses me because of the 35mm equivalent tab, does it mean this would actually have a FOV of 110mm or would I go off the normal 35mm equivalent of doubling it up on micro 4/3!? meaning it would be 76mm.

10. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The easiest way to think of it is just that "the focal length is the focal length." Any equivalency in FOV depends on the size of the film/sensor, but that doesn't change the focal length of the lens itself.

Sent from my phone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. the.growler

I've never noticed any difference between the sharpness of the 38mm versus the 40mm at equivalent apertures. The 40mm becomes very soft at f1.4, but that's typical of pretty much every fast lens. Plus, the 38mm is lighter than the 40mm and considerably cheaper.

My advice is not to knock yourself out pursuing theoretical perfection. :smile:

12. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    actually it's very confusing as that's what i had thought at first. I thought that the half frame pen f was 1/2 the size of full frame, but actually it's closer to a APS-C sized sensor, so it 1.5x crop.

It's very strange and it tripped me up when i first discovered that.

13. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Regardless of the system it is designed for, a 38mm lens will give the same field of view. It is inherent in the lens. Doesn't matter what the size of the sensor on a Pen F is, only the size of the m4/3 sensor. So yes, it will give the same field of view as 76mm on 35mm (though it wouldn't cover the whole sensor).

14. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This is correct, though I want to clarify your final point so as not to introduce more confusion into this subject. The Pen F lens is designed to cover a 35mm half frame: 18 x 24mm (portrait) rather than a 35mm's 36 x 24mm (landscape) image size. Given that the half-frame image area is larger than the 4/3 sensor (which measures 18 x 13.5mm), this lens WILL fully cover the 4/3 sensor.

I believe perhaps the point that Cruzan80 was trying to make is that if you were to try to adapt this lens for use on a full frame camera (perhaps some sort of rangefinder, although I'm not sure it's even possible to do so due to the register of the Pen F) then the image circle of the lens would likely not cover the 35mm/full frame sensor. However, since this use is not something that is being considered here, that's really immaterial.

15. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Yes, that was what I was trying to say. Sometimes it takes someone else reading what you wrote to spot the areas that need clarifying. In my defense, it sounded great in my head :rolleyes:.

16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Crop is measured by the sensor's diagonal. Size is measured by area.

The Pen F is exactly half frame - the frame is 18x24mm which is indeed half the size of 'full' 36x24mm film frame. That makes for a crop of 1.46x, or slightly larger than APS-C.

As to the 38/1.8, on m4/3 is gives you the view of a 76mm lens on full-frame, whereas on the Pen F it gives you the view of a 55mm lens on full-frame.

• Like Like x 1
  17. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    People should just read my article and stop getting so confused!

The PEN F 38mm is my standard lens on digital. I also have a PEN F film camera but am not partial to the portrait orientation of the shots. Plus the viewfinder is very small and almost impossible for me to use.

18. AdamSF

AdamSF Shutterbugger

Oct 13, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Adam
    Thanks, that's very clear and simple!