1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Evolt E-30 IS help

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rwingsfan, Oct 22, 2015.

1. rwingsfan

rwingsfan Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 4, 2015
    Tony
    I know this is a m43 forum, but I have a EM-1 also and know that a of you had Evolt series cameras at some point. See below

Picked up a E-30 the other day and trying to determine if the IS is working or not. All that I have read says that IS cannot be viewed through the VF like on my OMD-EM1 but that can be viewed and heard in LV. Anyway I switch to LV, hit the OK button for 10X magnification the picture jumps while focusing then for a brief instance stabilizes then returns to jumpy. I do not hear any IS working either. Now when I shut it off I hear a rattle. How can I test to make sure IS is functioning correctly?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, take some pictures handheld at very slow shutter speeds with and without IS... You should see a difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    With IS turned on, you should feel a slight movement of the camera when you turn it on or off.

You can hold down the IS button during live view to see the effect of the image stabilizer on the monitor. The IS button is on the back just to the left of the multi-connector.

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If you take a shot with a 1/2 or 1 sec. exposure you'll hear the IS. It'll sound like something's grinding inside. The first time I heard it on my new E600 I freaked out. After a few minutes I realized what was going on and my heart rate went back down.

Fred

5. rwingsfan

rwingsfan Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 4, 2015
    Tony
    Thanks all, confirmed working perfectly!