1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus EPL2 owners

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by goldjim, Jul 18, 2011.

1. goldjim

goldjim Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    Md.
    Anyone who owns this camera have any problems with the grip making creaking sounds during normal operation? Feels like the grip is not seated right and cracks when gripping it with minimal force.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Not I...

3. Scott105

Scott105 Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2011
    Alabama
    Mine has never done this.

4. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Nor mine....

5. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    neither mine...

6. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    nope...

7. odsagn

odsagn Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2011
    Los Angeles
    No, never. I love my E-PL2!

8. fcampbell48854

fcampbell48854 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2011
    Michigan
    No problem here, either. The new grips on the EP3 sound interesting, though. I find the grip a bit small for my hands. I wonder if anyone makes a good hand grip to attach to the E-PL2, probably attached via the tripod socket.

9. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    No noise

It all feels tight.

10. goldjim

goldjim Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    Md.
    Looks like I'm the only one. Will be returning mine for the second time for grip repair work.

11. vzipper

vzipper New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2011
    Nope, you're not the only one. I just picked up a used one and mine has a very slight click sound as well. It gives the feeling of being slightly less "solid" and no doubt, it's annoying. However, it's not enough for me to change mine out. I plan on using it for a while until I upgrade so I'll just live with it. Doesn't affect the pictures anyway. GL with yours

12. goldjim

goldjim Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    Md.
    Thanks. I sent it back to Olympus and waiting to hear their remarks on why this is happening. Is it a design problem or just poor QC? It doesn't affect anything other than feeling like a very cheaply made camera. I expect more from Olympus.

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Maybe it's not the grip, but the front plate of your camera that's loose?

My E-PL2 has no problems, and it is used heavily through all day studio and location work with small and large lenses. I use a padded hand strap though, to help alleviate the need to hold the grip much.

14. goldjim

goldjim Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    Md.
    Ned, they supposedly replaced the front plate a few months ago. It came back fine only to start over again a few weeks later.

15. goldjim

goldjim Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    Md.
    Update

Olympus is stating that the grip noise is within manufacturers specs. What a crock. They don't want to take responsibility for not fixing the camera properly the first time.

16. goldjim

goldjim Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    Md.
    Further update

My camera was checked by Olympus repair and they refused to fix the problem. The camera is being returned to me as it was sent to them unrepaired. I was told that if I send the camera back to them ,even if it gets worse ,they will send it back to me as no trouble found. What arrogance! Any suggestions?

17. goldjim

goldjim Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    Md.
    Further update

Olympus may be giving me a new camera after deciding that mine was defective. Will update if and when I receive it. Stay tuned.:cool:

18. goldjim

goldjim Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    Md.
    Ongoing

Olympus is claiming that the grip cracking noise is actually coming from the back of the camera by pressing on the control buttons with your thumb. Is this a possibilty or another attempt to not accept responsibility that the camera is defective? I will test it when the camera returns this week. Update coming soon.

19. goldjim

goldjim Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    Md.
    Ongoing

Looks like this saga is never ending. The cracking noise continues but it's only when gripping the camera with some force. Will ride this out and see how it acts down the road. I have a feeling that my camera and Olympus repair will have another get together in the near future.

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It's possible that the camera is not defective, Jim. Remember that the E-PL2 is a lower-grade body build and not as solid as say an E-P1 or E-P2. I haven't had much go wrong with mine, which appears quite solid to me, but I have had the plate fall off my mode dial. Little things like that do show a cheaper build quality than the high-end PENs... although the battery door actually feels a lot more solid than the E-P1 and E-P2. ;)