1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus EPL2 or EP3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pixl10, Sep 15, 2011.

1. pixl10

pixl10 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    Hi
    I am trying to decide between these two bodies. The price on epl2 is fantastic but the ep3 just looks great, I want a smaller body (just sold the GH2 as it was too big and way too advanced and the jpegs looked dull). I am still learning to process RAW) I will mainly use it as a travel camera and for pics of my kids. I have the Panny 20mm and Oly 9-18, will probably add oly 45 when it comes out. I will shoot videos mainly kids for memories rather than anything serious. I really love the oly form factor. Just not sure if I should buy the EPl2 for now and wait for the next gen Oly with the better sensor or just get the EP3 now. I am willing to spend the money if the ep3 is a lot better than the Epl2. I am getting the feeling online that it does not seem worth the upgrade but what about for someone buying . first Oly camera? I am not an advanced user. Just learning. I bought the GH2 on a friend's recommendation (who is an advanced user) I did have a GF1 before which I foolishly sold for the GH2. still regretting.... I also looked at the GF2 in a store but it feels too small, and uncomfortable to hold with the kit zoom, even my GF1 was like that but not as bad as GF2. I don't like the G3's looks, and I might add an external mic for recording school preformances and G3 does not allow that. Tilt screen not essential to me.

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    The video on new Oly series is much better compared to E-PL2. Not only it's full AVCHD but has much faster C-AF and stereo sound. Consider E-PM1 as well at $499.

3. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Since you can afford the difference in price, go with the EP3.

EPL2 vs EPM1 would have been a tougher choice however, especially considering what you want. You didn't like the size of the GF2 so the EPM1 wouldn't suit you yet you want decent video so the EPM1 > EPL2 in that regards.

4. pixl10

pixl10 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    One more question for those using the Ep3. Do your fingers knock on the various knobs and buttons and change settings accidentally? I had the problem with GH2. I beginning to believe that is going to be the way of life with MFT bodies.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It sounds like the E-P3 fits the bill for you perfectly! It will give you the best in Autofocus performance and speed, which will be a small improvement over your GH2 even (whereas the E-PL2 might feel like a slight downgrade in AF speed), it has a very robust body with interchangeable grips and extensive control dials, and it has a better touch-screen than your GH2. Only problem with the grips is that the larger grip (like the E-PL2) I believe is an optional accessory with the E-P3. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong as I don't own this body, but I don't think you get the larger grip in the basic kit. The E-PL2 comes with a fair sized grip built in.

For your videos, either body will allow an external mic (use the EMA-1 mic adapter to plug in any 3.5mm stereo mic, or you can buy the SEMA-1 mic kit which includes a stereo condenser mic. as well as the EMA-1 adapter). The E-P3 will allow 1080 HD video though, while the E-PL2 does 720p HD. I don't know if that makes a difference to you.

Don't hold your breath for a better sensor... yes, it'll probably be improved down the road but these improvements are always minor. The E-PL2 and E-P3 already have a high quality imaging system with a super-weak AA filter which produces very sharp, detailed images with no chroma or luma noise at high ISO. I use the E-PL2 in my professional work, and it holds up beautifully to other bodies and systems which cost 3 to 5 times as much.

Instead of waiting for an improved sensor, go for the body which gives you the best speed, performance, and handling. That would probably be the E-P3 unless you want the better grip from the E-PL2.

6. pixl10

pixl10 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    Thanks Ned. I am certainly leaning toward the EP3. I have an Azden external microphone, will I need the adapter for it. Doesn't the mic directly plug into the body? Is the Olympus microphone any good? The Azden is pretty decent, especially for concerts, would the Oly mic be a better choice?
    Thx

7. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    I believe you need the adapter to the flash socket, but I'm not sure.

E-PL2 price feature ratio is better than E-P3, but yes, the latter is better. Doesn't mean E-PL2 is bad, it's actually quite good. If money is an issue, the choice is easy. If not, the choice is easy also, different though :biggrin:

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The adapter you will need for it is called the EMA-1. It plugs into your accessory port/hotshoe just like the VF-2 viewfinder (of course you won't need flash when shooting video, just continuous lights, so this won't get in the way).

Since you already have a good external mic, I wouldn't bother with the Olympus mic, though yes it is good. However, in some areas like mine they may not sell the EMA-1 on its own, but only bundled in the SEMA-1 kit which includes the Olympus stereo condenser mic. So you may not have a choice. ;) If you do have a choice though, just pick up the EMA-1. Your Azden should be perfect with that, as long as it's a 3.5mm plug.

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Here's my experience with an E-P2 regarding external mic's.
    I have the SEMA-1 which includes the ME 51S mic. along with the extension cord and tie clip. The mic works VERY well either when connected to the extension cord or directly to the EMA-1. No noise, no static, just clean sound. You may pick up wind noise when outside during windy conditions, but it's a great compact mic for the PEN's.
    I also have an Audio-Technica ATR25 stereo mic that I like very much, but when used on the E-P2, the volume is a bit lower as compared to the SEMA-1 & ME 51S mic. It may be due to the impedance or sensitivity.
    The Audio-Technica ATR25 has an impedance of 600 ohm +/- 30% ....... sensitivity -50db +/-3db @ 1kHz
    The SEMA-1 & ME 51S has an impedance of 2.2K ohm ....... sensitivity -40db @ 1kHz
    You may want to compare the impedance to that of your Azden.

10. pixl10

pixl10 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    Thanks I will probably get the Sema1 mic.

11. wallet

wallet New to Mu-43

Jan 21, 2012
    hi, i used to have a GF1 too. I missed it. but i am considering either ep3 or gx1. i presumed you have bought your lovely ep3 by now. care to share your experience with us.

12. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Yes, the larger grip for the E-P3 is optional, and it's a very nice accessory indeed!

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I wish it were nicely styled like the contoured grip on the E-PL2 though. The E-P3 grip looks like the one off the E-PL1 which I thought was kinda ugly... but still very functional. The E-PL2 is both stylish and functional. However, I could imagine the E-PL2 grip would look funny mounted with the screw-mount system, so I can see why they opted for the other style...

14. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    There are times when function trumps form...:smile: It's nice, though, that the grips are interchangeable; using the E-P3 with pancakes or other lightweight lenses works fine with the standard grip.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Or taking the grip off might work better with some leatherettes and half-body cases (I'm assuming, here). :)

16. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Just went through this same dilemma... I sent my E-PL2 in for service, and immediately needed a camera for an event. I looked at E-P3s and E-PL2s. As much as I wanted the E-P3, I couldn't deny a mint-condition E-PL2 WITH LENS for $325. That's what I'm faced with, is there going to be nearly three times the improvement in ANY category from my beloved E-PL2? Not likely. Lastly, the OM-D will likely drop the interest in the E-P3 a bit, and hopefully drive down the prices of used cameras. I'll ride this one out for a bit and hunt for a good price on a used E-P3 without a lens.

• Like Like x 1
  17. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I've looked at photos of the half-cases and leatherette, but must admit...I don't get it. Personal preference, I suppose; if I buy a small, sleek camera, I don't want to "dress it up". Horses for courses....:smile:

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I use black electrical tape (unnoticeable) to get a better grip on my E-PM1, so I guess I'm in the same boat. ;)

19. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Do you put the tape on every surface or just in the gripping area? :smile:

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Just the gripping area. On a black PEN, of course. ;) The black is actually very deep on the E-PM1, making the electrical tape completely unnoticeable. Nobody's ever commented on it yet except to say that the camera looks new, lol.