1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus EPL-7

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by photoeagle, Jan 14, 2016.

1. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    The EP L7 is one of the cameras on my list. For those that are using the camera how are mainly usng it.i

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  2. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    Great little camera. I use mine mostly on the street and at festivals. I pair it with a Panasonic 12-32 or 35-100, f/4-5.6 for a super compact kit. Good for one hand, low level, and over the head shots. Only drawback is the screen washes out in bright light at the beach. Image quality is on par with my E-M5II.

See some recent images of mine in another Olympus PL7 thread in this forum.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I had an E-PL5 which is pretty much the same camera. Great IQ, but shutter shock can be a problem around 1/180 sec. Make sure you're happy with no EVF though - whilst you can attach the VF2, 3 and 4 it makes the camera much bigger and a bit fragile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    E-PL7 has the newer firmware that eliminates the shutter shock issues. +2 on being happy with no EVF. I like the change in shooting style from my E-M5 II with its EVF, however. It is an entirely different experience and I rarely carry the two of them at the same time.

5. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    The E-PL7 also has the decent 3-axis stabilization, while the E-PL5 has 2-axis stabilization that doesn't do as much. The advantage of the E-PL5 is that you can upgrade the grip, if that matters to you.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    e-pL7 is my main camera when the light is dull or dark, due to fairly smooth high-ISO noise and excellent stabilisation.
    I use it almost always with a viewfinder on the top : VF-4 or VF-2
    For a tiny camera it is very powerful.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If you can go without an EVF, then the PL7 is a sweet spot camera. Small enough, IBIS/anti-shock are very effective, enough controls to be usable, and the same sensor as the higher end models. At least until the Pen F is released.:)

8. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    My shooting experience with the PL7, sans EVF, is a delightful change from using my E-M5 II with the viewfinder. Using the LCD only gives me a whole different outlook on what I'm shooting. Great little camera, on the street or in the museum.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I haven't tried that yet but I bet it's a great museum camera.

10. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I pair it with my Oly 25, 1.8 and it's a natural...small, light and fast.

11. jmoore5196

jmoore5196 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 4, 2013
    Does the VF-4 function without difficulty on the E-PL7? I can understand that it adds some bulk and a bit of fragility to the camera, but is it a worthwhile accessory?

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If you want an EVF, it works very well. Big and bright.

13. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Main issue with using EVF on EPL series is only single control wheel, so you cannot change its function (e.g. EV compensation to f-number) without removing camera from the eye.
    Another issue was that EVF eye detection didn't work with EPL5.
    All above made me to switch quickly to EP5 and you can find great deals for EP5+VF4 nowadays:
    E-P5 body with VF-4 $400 at Roberts Camera on Ebay (again)
    EP5/VF4/O17 1.8 for $599 at Roberts

14. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The VF-4 fully works with the E-PL7. It actually uses the same panel as in the E-M1 - it's a fantastic EVF, all things considered, though quite bulky and not cheap. The size and form factor is the thing I like least about the optional EVFs: They stick out towards the back considerably, with the VF-4 being the biggest of them all. But if you don't mind the extra bulk, you gain a lot in terms of convenience and usability, especially when it comes to framing in bright light.

That said, I hardly use my VF-2 (yes, the older one) on the E-PL7 because the E-M10 is so much more convenient if I want an EVF ... but the VF-2 is one clear step below the VF-4, and it also lacks two very handy features: a proximity sensor (sorely missed ...) and a hotshoe lock.

M.

15. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've never used the E-PL7, but I've used older E-P models and the E-M10 (which has many of the same features as the E-PL7). From all accounts it's a very nice camera. But I'll agree with Budeny,

With the current price you can find an E-P5 for I'd pick up an E-P5 over the E-PL7. I owned the E-P5 and it was one of my favorite m4/3 cameras Iit's been really hard resisting picking one up at the current prices.

16. jmoore5196

jmoore5196 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 4, 2013
    Thanks for the affirming feedback. I have an E-M5 ii, but I take the E-PL7 on a lot of short road trips. I imagine the VF-4 would help me a lot when shooting high contrast in bright sunshine.

• Agree Agree x 1