1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus EPL-7

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by photoeagle, Jan 9, 2016.

1. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    I decided on three different 4/3 cameras, out of those I will chose one. My questions is about the EPL-7.

For those shooting with the EPL-7 do you enjoy the camera? Does the lack of a viewfinder hinder your picture taking?

2. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I own the E-PL7 as well as the E-M10 (which is my main :mu43: body) and had the E-PM1 before. In my experience, the E-PL7 is a very good camera and marks the peak of the evolution of the small PENs so far. It handles great overall, and the lack of an EVF doesn't change that, though it does limit the usability of the camera in certain situation, specifically in (very) bright light.

I actually operate my E-PL7 quite differently from my E-M10 because of the former's lack of an EVF - for one thing, I use touch shutter (focus select and shutter release) a lot, so the touch screen functionality actually gets considerably more use on the E-PL7. I also tilt the screen more frequently for two reasons: It enables me to get shots I wouldn't be able to get when shooting at eye level (with a VF of any kind, the camera's always "at eye level"), and adjusting the angle also helps with enhancing visibility in bright light. That said, there are some issues with framing in bright light that you won't have with an EVF. Framing and judging focus accuracy is generally a bit more difficult on the LCD than through the EVF.

That's about it in terms of issues - other than that, the E-PL7 is a very compelling package for a very good price (at least around here). It's a very capable camera, well made, easy to handle - and crucially, more compact than even the E-M10, but not so small as to feel uncomfortable in the hand. In fact, the grip design is fantastic. I personally do prefer viewfinders, and specifically EVFs, but the E-PL7 performs so well that I'm fine with using it as my only camera when travelling (or whenever size is a decisive).

M.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    The E-PL7 is great. It really comes down to you though. Do you plan on using big lenses on it? Sometimes when using larger lenses, having the viewfinder as a stable point helps be steady. When the camera is up to your eye, and you two hands are on the camera you can really steady the camera compared to floating it out far enough for your eyes to see the screen correct.

Again, this is primarily more of an issue with larger lenses. I find if I am out and about shooting casually, its less a thought and I often use just the rear screen.

The lack of viewfinder has never actually hindered me taking pictures in any way. In fact if I am on a tripod, which is most of the time for any serious photography...I use the rear screen most of the time.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Firstly : these are not 4/3 cameras, just saying ... because 4/3rds cameras do exist. The e-pL7 is a micro-4/3rds camera.

I enjoy my e-pL7. Lack of viewfinder is absolutely disastrous for me, so I put a viewfinder on mine.

5. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I have 2 E-M5 II bodies and one PL7. For street and festival outings the PL7 is my go to. Simple & easy to use I usually pair it with a Panasonic 12-32 and my Panasonic 35-100 F/4 or perhaps the Oly 25, 1.8. One of the things I really like about the PL7 is that the on/off button is on the top right, where I can swing it up to eye level while turning it on, all with one sweep of my right hand. For festivals the tilt screen works great for overhead shots as will as low angle ones. However, I never take it to the beach on a sunny day as the screen just washes out.
    Here's a few shots from this weekends local motorcycle fest here in Sarasota.

P1090100.

P1090148.

P1090243.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1