Olympus EPL-5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by photoheron, Jun 29, 2013.

1. photoheron

photoheron Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    How many users are using the LCD only for shooting vs the clip on evf?
    What do you like and dislike about using the LCD to take pictures?
  2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    The color rendering on the LCD is truly
    bizarre, and it is small, but i have yet to plug in my VF-2 into it, because the touch screen has been surprisingly fun to use.
  3. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    Most of the time i use the lcd. It can be difficult to see in bright light so i then use the vf3. The touch screen features are very nice.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I generally use the reat LCD only in the studio. Not speaking of the E-PL5 but all Pen models as I really don't see how this topic could be model specific. It gives me freedom from the eye-level finder which I like, allowing more movement and creativity... But really the only reason I work that way is because of the lack of separate EVF and flash shoes, lol. I do prefer how easy it is to see through the EVF, so the rear LCD is just a "workaround". It works out though, as I'm not dealing with glare from bright light (ie, sunlight) at the same time I'm using flash. It's not really my preference, but it's not a method I particularly dislike either. It's nice being able to stay standing while shooting with my camera down at chest height for a more flattering angle on models. Model shooting often puts the camera at angles that is awkward for an eye-level finder, and with DSLRs I'm often on my knees or trying to find a place between standing and kneeling. I was walking on a cane for over two years (due to a vehicular assault made on myself and a friend) shortly after the first digital Pen came out, so this new freedom was particularly refreshing at the time. It saved me a lot of pain.
  5. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    I only use the LCD since I don't have the evf. But I haven't had too much issue with the sun or anything with it. The touch to focus and fire is quite awesome too.
  6. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    LCD 90% of the time. I do use my VF3 on occasion when it is hard to see the LCD outdoors under certain lighting conditions.

I also use the touch screen focus a lot, it eliminates the main cause of disappointment with autofocus equipment.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    The only time I use the LCD is when I'm using a flash. Other than that, I'm always peering through my VF-2.
  8. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    VF 2 and 3 recommended.You can basically get OMD performance in a more compact package. I don't perceive any problems with color rendition of the screen as I use mostly outdoors. To me the electronic view finder is to aim the camera.You can evaluate the scene better with the screen. One thing nice is that you can flip up the EVF and look down into it. You can be two feet from someone and they don't even know they are being photographed.
    Also comes in handy if you have bright back lighting. I even use it with the OMD sometimes due to flip up feature. Say you are in a restaurant. You lay the camera on the table. You can take pictures practically in the dark.
  9. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I use the VF-2 on my E-PL5 more than I use the LCD screen, especially as focal length increases. In addition to visual benefits, there is a stability gained from holding the camera against the face.

Each method (EVF and LCD screen) offers distinct benefits, under particular circumstances, therefore having both available is what I like. But for the most part, I prefer using an EVF.
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Shame that the LCDs on the recent E-PL and E-PM cameras are smaller than most, but I guess it does allow space for the accessory port and helps to keep the overall size down.
  11. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I was out in the sun in Atlanta today with my E-PL5. I did have the VF-2 connected, but most shots I took with the rear screen flipped up and resting against my body. This screen is very easy to see with in even midday sun.

It is nice to have the option, though, and it was easier to set focus with the vf (I was using a manual lens).
  12. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2013
    Belfast N.Ireland
    cant see LCD in bright sunlight

I recently purchased my E-PL5, I'm well pleased with it but was out yesterday in bright sunlight trying to take photos and the screen was very hard to see.
    I'm thinking of getting a VF3 as I dont mind using a view finder but could someone tell me how hard or easy it is to pick a focus point or adjust aperture, exposure comp etc whilst using the VF3.
    How would you rate the info you see in the VF3.
  13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I have an E-PL5 with the VF2 and it works very well. Exposure comp and aperture is exactly the same as using the rear LCD. Focus point selection works the same too, except of course you lose the touch-screen option. Except for the screen resolution, the VF2 and 3 work the same.

Interestingly, the Panasonic GH3 supports using the rear LCD for focus point selection even when composing using the in-built EVF. It sounds odd, but works very well.
  14. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2013
    Belfast N.Ireland
    Thanks for that info, could you tell me this please. When using the super control panel for example, can you see the information through the view finder that's on the screen, I think from what you told me already you can, just checking.
  15. n3eg

n3eg Mu-43 Regular

I have the E-PL5, and I hate viewfinders. I tried my camera in full sun, and I could still make out what I was shooting. This is the best LCD I've used so far, and I'll never need an EVF.

As for the touch screen, I don't like them. I will always use the alternative buttons and dials when possible. Same thing with the tilt feature - I had to try it once just so I could say I used it.
  16. badastronaut

badastronaut New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2013
    If i wanted an EVF i would've shelled out money for an OM-D.

the screen is fine, a tad small but good enough for composing shots and touch screen is great.
  17. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    If you're using the EVF, you see the SCP in it. Navigating with the scroll wheel/buttons.
  18. hirschaj

hirschaj New to Mu-43

Mar 30, 2013
    You can change the LCD color rendering in the menu so that it looks completely natural. I believe it is set to warm by default.
  19. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    i like using LCD to compose the picture. Only problem that i had so far was this summer trying to focus with OM 50mm 1,8 with harsch sun on the LCD. The only time a wished for an EVF.
  20. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2013
    Belfast N.Ireland
    lcd hard to see in sunlight

Thanks everybody for your comments, people say this is the best LCD they've looked at, I totally agree with you when I can see it properly but in bright sunlight it's hard to see. Could it be because I have a screen protector fitted to it, I must admit it's not the best make available maybe that's what's making the difference but I want to protect my screen. Is there a recommended screen protector, still gonna save up for a VF-3 though.