Olympus EP5X 17mm 1.2Fixed lens camera - Will you buy it?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, May 16, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys ..:smile
    Dont make my online life hell please ..hahahahaah :wink:
    In this era of fixed lens bigger sensor cameras , I was thinking if Olympus introduces an EP5X with fixed 17 mm 1.2 lens and MFT sensor ..What would be your reaction? We all like and love Fuji X100series , Nikon Coolpix A is nice , Sony RX1 rocks and Sigma DP series is cool.. So why not a MFT camera with FIXED lens? :tongue::tongue::tongue:If Olympus employes me ..this what I will offer to my loyal MFT loving customers . Infact Panasonic can do it as well .
  2. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    I'm afraid that I fall into the camp that wants either an interchangable lens camera or a non interchangable zoom lens not a fixed lens.

The X100 and similar fixed lens cameras simply aren't on my 'desire list'.

I'd rather see an EPM-2 sized camera with a fully retracting zoom lens, a larger sensor competitor to the Sony RX100 as the RX100 is a larger sensor competitor to the Canon S110.
  3. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I used to think fixed focal compact was the way to go, but not anymore. It's a retro resurgence that frankly doesnt fit with modern lens reality. If I'm going to limit myself to a single camera & lens to carry around then I want it to have a zoom lens that is versatile to cover wide to medium telephoto. And now that it has been clearly shown that you can have a f1.4 3x zoom then why settle for a prime? Frankly the improvement in image quality from a prime, if it actually exists, is usually only at pixel peeking level.
    Olympus have shown in their 4/3 SHG zooms that they can perform as well, if not better, as many competing primes.

But I am hopeful that the rumored high end compact from Olympus may have an equivalent of their superb 12-60 lens - for me that would cover 95% of my photography.
  4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm with Geoff and wolfie. I had an X100. It's a super-cool camera, but it just wasn't all that useful for me. I'll take an m4/3s or a 1" sensor fixed lens zoom. I don't care who makes it, but my money is on Sony given what they've already shown us with the RX1 and 100.
  5. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    I would not be adverse to Olympus releasing a fixed 17mm f1.2 lens MFT camera.

I had a Fuji X100, and it was fun to challenge myself with one lens. Brought out the creativity in me not being able to stand in one spot and zoom in or out.
    While I loved the focal length (35mm eq.), that particular model, for me, had to many quirks that I could not live with.

My kit right now consists of the EP3 with Oly 17 f1.8 and the Oly 45 f1.8, so I have my favorite 35mm eq. -which pratically lives on the camera - and a short telephoto for portraits or a little extra reach.
  6. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    I would be surprised, but I definitely wouldn't buy it. I like the flexibility of the whole micro-four-thirds system, so it would take a lot to swing me towards purchasing a fixed E-P compact. One product I would love to see on the market though is a compact similar in size to the Ricoh GR which utilizes a micro-four-thirds sensor.

The new Sony sensors are pretty impressive; so much so that I actually prefer photos from it compared to the X100 in higher-ISO settings. Considering the fact that Ricoh used an APS-C sensor and had to design the lens to cover the larger sensor-size, you have to wonder what kind of design they could pull off with a smaller m43 sensor. Imagine a 20/2 or a 20/1.7 fixed compact that could slip in your pockets. And if it were ever developed by Panasonic, you know it'll have respectable video features on it also. For me, that would be something to get excited about. It's all a big pipe-dream at the moment though.
  7. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    If the price wasn't outrageous, I'd buy it, love it and then sell it for its lack of interchangeable lenses. Just like I did with the X100. But like the X100 it would have to have a built in viewfinder or I wouldn't even consider it.

I've restricted myself to one lens and an Mu-43 body on trips and not regretted it a bit. But after awhile I feel restricted by only one lens and no trip to look forward to use it .
  8. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    It would also be competing with a PEN mini + pancake lens.

Maybe if they really focused on compactness -- something like the XF1 using a 4/3 sensor.

Really, I think the direction that Sony and Fuji are going with their compacts is better than large sensor fixed lens compacts. There's a niche for those, but a larger market for big sensor compacts with some zoom.

Look how disappointed a lot of people were with the LF1, because it didn't use a larger sensor. And it will most likely be an excellent camera.

Luckily Nikon and Canon have missed the boat so far, so there is plenty of room for Olympus to come out with something.
  9. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    No - I have an X100s that has a magnificent hybrid viewfinder and larger sensor.
  10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Only problem is that m4/3 is a lens mount. Can't have a micro 4/3 camera with a fixed lens!

But in terms of a 4/3-sized sensor with a fast fixed prime lens, I think there are already more than enough good options out there. On the other hand, there's only one large-sensored compact camera with a zoom lens, so if they're looking for underserved markets, an XZ-3 with 1" or 1.33" sensor would be an obvious way to go. Don't think it will happen though.
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    For a fixed lens camera I want a zoom like the G1X. The recent fixed lens prime cameras are all 28 or 35mm (excluding Sigma) which make them more of an "everyman's" camera but if I had to have one I would want it to be 50mm or so.
  12. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am not interested. If I am going to spend money on a camera it needs to either have a zoom or have interchangeable lenses. I cannot stand being stuck with only one focal length.
  13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Having experienced what the RX100 can do, I think that's my real ideal compact solution. Pocketable, decent zoom range, relatively large sensor, good high ISO performance.

My 'ideal world' situation would be:
    - RX100-like for compact, always carry, coat or loose pants pocket
    - Mu43 system (E-M5, with EVF) compact with high quality lenses and extreme range for all-round use and travel
    - Leica-like mirrorless fullframe system with small autofocus lenses, no need for supertele there. A three prime setup (35, 50, 135) would work very well for me. My 5DII fills the niche for now, but it's kinda bulky...
  14. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hey Bhup may I ask what's the problem of actually buying an ep5 and the 17mm and never change it? Just weld the thing down!
  15. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    The 17 1.8 could like rx1 be halfway build into the house and that would be a benefit.
  16. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Haaaaahh I agree with that . But this one is 1.2 lens and I am just wondering how many people will be interesting :thumbup: Everyone is introducing Fixed lens cameras why not MFT?
  17. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    No, what's the point? It would be only marginally smaller than a EPL-5 or other similar small offering (Yes, some are slightly smaller than others...) with a 17mm already on it.

It's a good idea, but not one I would see the point of, mainly due to size restrictions.
  18. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I tend to agree with this. But I bought a used X100 anyway, when the price dropped to not that much more than a new 17/1.8 (and less than the Zeiss 24/1.8, as NEX is my primary system right now). At that point I figured the X100 can be an option in my bag for 35mm with presumably better IQ and with no need to swap lenses.

As sound as that logic even seems now, it really didn't work for me in practice and the X100 is gone. RX100 replaced it. I'm :biggrin:
  19. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Really? 1 or 2 cm difference would make such a difference that you would buy a camera or not?...

but with the ep5 you can now shoot at iso 100 1/8000 and leave your lens wide open at f1.8 the whole time to shoot your with lots of "creamy bokeh" at midday!
  20. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Haha maybe not. Depends on prize IGuess. But for me that only use and own one lens it could be a deal. X100s would be ideal for me. My WiFe thinks not :p