Olympus ep-l3 and LR / Olympus viewer

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mosheva, Mar 17, 2014.

1. mosheva

mosheva New to Mu-43

Mar 17, 2014
    Hello,

I'm trying to edit the colors on RAW images that I took, I'm trying to edit them both with LR and Olympus viewer 3 and on both software I feel that the colors missing the punch, the thing that bother me the most is that the sky turns white instead of vivid blue.
    I have attached 1 file as example (RAW) of file that I cannot manage to highlight the sky.

Please guide me

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    What version of Lightroom? If you have 5.3 or later, try using a calibration other than 'Adobe Standard'. Lightroom's defaults are meant to be neutral, whereas Olympus's 'Vivid' preset obviously has something else entirely in mind.

3. mosheva

mosheva New to Mu-43

Mar 17, 2014
    Hi,

I have tried the camera calibration as the LR 5.3 supports PEN EPL3, still its is look dead...
    any ideas?

Attached Files:

• LR.
      LR.jpg
      File size:
      128 KB
      Views:
  4. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Looks a bit overexposed - if you look at the histogram it's all over to the right hand side (unless this was deliberate) normally I would have expected the camera to under expose given the subject matter.

would suggest reducing the exposure before trying any other pre-sets or camera calibrations.

Please note there are a lot of white clouds in the sky and the RHS of the image is darker than the rest - did you have a filter on?

5. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
  6. mosheva

mosheva New to Mu-43

Mar 17, 2014
    Hi,
    Thanks that looks much nicer.
    I did not had any filter on. I think I missing something at the configuration of the camera...

so what steps should I take when I fixing the colors? and what is RHS?

TNX!

7. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Sorry,

RHS is short for "Right Hand Side".

The reason I asked about a filter is the image shows a bit of "flare" this reduces the contrast (and therefore colour levels too) which can be caused by low cost filters or dust on the lens elements - in this case from the reflections of the sun in the left hand side of the image.

In development mode if you start at the top of all settings all I did (this was a quick fix not a long detailed analysis).

Exposure - moved the slider to the left so the histogram was more central.
    Contrast - moved the slider to the right so that the ends of the histogram were closer to ends of the chart.

Slight crop to put the horizon level.

Increased the blue slider slightly..

Changed the camera calibration to vivid and exported it.

You could do a lot more but I was just doing a quick play to find out if there was some detail to recover ( there is).

The first two steps (exposure/ contrast) made the biggest difference so I would suggest you try this first and then try each setting/slider to see how it affects the image. The good thing about Lightroom is you can play with these as long as you like and it will not change the original file and if you decide you don't like it you can go back step by step or start again.

8. will_f

will_f Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2013
    I've also found that if your sky is a little blown out, moving the blue luminance slider down a bit helps.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    What are your camera settings (Gradation? Picture Mode? Saturation? Contrast?)? The LR presets are not perfect, but there should not be a big difference in exposure.

10. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Somewhat similar corrections are possible in Olympus Viewer 3, with some adjustments to Exposure/WB and an aggressive application of the Tone Curve:

mosheva_P2101809.

Edit: Although you don't see it in the screenshot, I also changed the picture mode to "Vivid".