Olympus EP-3 for dental photography

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sashu1, Sep 10, 2011.

1. sashu1

sashu1 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 10, 2011
    Melbourne Australia

I am an orthodontist and have used Canon Macro set up for clinical photography for years. I am experimenting with a m4/3 set up for clinical macro photography and my kit consists of:

Olympus 4/3 to m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus 50 mm f2 macro (4/3)
    Olympus Ringflash adapter
    Olympus Ring Flash

Will be posting results shortly. Any one has experience with this set up?
  2. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

The 4/3 lenses on m43 camera bodies can be slow to focus. They can exhibit "hunting" in and out many times to catch the focus, if focus is caught at all.

You might also consider the Panasonic-Leica 45mm f2.8 lens. Being native m43, it should auto-focus quite quickly. I would guess the Pana-Leica is smaller than the 4/3 lens with adapter. The Pana-Leica has a minimum focus distance of about 150mm (~ 6 inches) versus about 10 for the Oly 50mm.

The only potential draw-back is aperture - f2.8 on the 45mm versus f2.0 on the 50mm, a bit less light. However, with your dental overhead lamp (or the Oly macro LED setup that plugs in the hot-shoe), I would think light should not be an issue.

I have heard wonderful things about the lens, so another potential drawback is you finding yourself taking too many non-dental photos with it. :smile:

Best of luck with the 50mm, it may do just fine for your application. So many of us wish Oly had simply taken those optics and converted them to a native m43 format.
  3. sashu1

sashu1 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 10, 2011
    Melbourne Australia
    Thanks CarlB,

The lens focuses quite quickly, and is very sharp. The Panasonic-Leica is also a great lens and I nearly bought it but they did not have it in stock. So fare happy with the set up. Posted some photos in a different thread.
  4. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Glad to hear the 50mm has quick focus on the E-P3. I have the 35mm Oly 4/3 macro, also sharp. The 35mm lens is slow on the E-PL1, but I suppose I should give it a shot on the E-P3 ...
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think you've got a great set to work with. I saw some of your samples in the other E-PL2 thread, and they look great. :thumbup:

The light is the most important, and you've got a good ringflash that mounts on the Zuiko 50mm. You can't mount that light setup on the Leica 45mm macro. The sharpness and resolving power of the Four-Thirds glass is unparalleled, too.
  6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There is another thread of dental photos ... I can't stomach the look of it to find it for you.
  7. sashu1

sashu1 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 10, 2011
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Rob,

Yes I saw those photos - pretty gruesome. I know we love looking at the gums and teeth and surgery procedures, but most people just see teeth in a sea of red meat. Hence will not post anything that may make people uncomfortable.