1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus EP-1 related question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 369, Jan 21, 2011.

1. 369

369 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Hi all,

Last summer I bought the EP-1 and that was my first real camera. Before that having been toying with P&S. When I bought it i knew the slow af and focus hunting in dimly light situations and I though that later I will but the Panny 20mm but I did not buy that lens and I don't think I will coz i have realized I am not that person who liked to keep changing lens etc.

So now I read about the olympus XZ-1 with f 1.8 and a decent 4x zoom. So I am thinking is it a good idea to get rid of the EP-1 and get the XZ-1 which will fit my needs better and also my wife will be able to use it in indoor party etc.

of course I will wait to see how the reviews are,but what do you guys think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    As an owner of an E-P1, I've also thought about going down the road of getting something like the new Oly compact or an LX5.

I think it really depends on what you want. If you are wanting more DOF control and dynamic range, keep the PEN. If compactness is more a concern, and you can live without changing lenses, it might be better to get a high end compact camera.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I have an e-p1 and a Samsung EX1/TL500, which has similar specs to the XZ-1. The f1.8 lens makes a big difference, and a compact with a lens that bright can do a good job in indoor lighting if it's not dim lighting. If it is dim, you might be struggling with a compact - even a very good one. For normal 'bright' indoor lighting I don't think you'd have a problem. That's my experience, anyway.

All the best,

Colin

4. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Maybe you should check your EP1 has been updated to the latest firmware ? I remember mine AFed much faster after that. You should at least try that before purchasing anything new.

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

For me it is not a question of either/or but both. Buy your wife the XZ-1 :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.