Olympus EP-1 related question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 369, Jan 21, 2011.

1. 369

369 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Hi all,

Last summer I bought the EP-1 and that was my first real camera. Before that having been toying with P&S. When I bought it i knew the slow af and focus hunting in dimly light situations and I though that later I will but the Panny 20mm but I did not buy that lens and I don't think I will coz i have realized I am not that person who liked to keep changing lens etc.

So now I read about the olympus XZ-1 with f 1.8 and a decent 4x zoom. So I am thinking is it a good idea to get rid of the EP-1 and get the XZ-1 which will fit my needs better and also my wife will be able to use it in indoor party etc.

of course I will wait to see how the reviews are,but what do you guys think?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    As an owner of an E-P1, I've also thought about going down the road of getting something like the new Oly compact or an LX5.

I think it really depends on what you want. If you are wanting more DOF control and dynamic range, keep the PEN. If compactness is more a concern, and you can live without changing lenses, it might be better to get a high end compact camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I have an e-p1 and a Samsung EX1/TL500, which has similar specs to the XZ-1. The f1.8 lens makes a big difference, and a compact with a lens that bright can do a good job in indoor lighting if it's not dim lighting. If it is dim, you might be struggling with a compact - even a very good one. For normal 'bright' indoor lighting I don't think you'd have a problem. That's my experience, anyway.

All the best,

4. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Maybe you should check your EP1 has been updated to the latest firmware ? I remember mine AFed much faster after that. You should at least try that before purchasing anything new.
  5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

For me it is not a question of either/or but both. Buy your wife the XZ-1 :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1