1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus EP-1 OR 2 with Panasonic ois lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Elliot, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Elliot

Elliot Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    NORTHERN VIRGINIA USA
    I may have mislead someone the other day, so I need to back up and see if anyone can clarify something for me.

If I am using the subject cameras and put a Panasonic i.e. 14-140 ois lens on them, and that lens has Mega Optical Image Stablilzation, can that lens stabilize on an Olympus EP body?

In other words is it capable of operating independently in its stabilized mode when mounted on the Olympus ep body and the switch on the lens is turned to on?

Thanks.

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    AFAIK, yes, it will work, but turn the sensor stabilization off. They both can't work at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, Dj is correct... either method will work fine in isolation. I would use IBIS for stills, and OIS for video.

Some people prefer the stabilised view for composing (i.e. use OIS) - I prefer to see how well I can hold the camera steady before stabilisation is applied.

Cheers

Brian

4. Elliot

Elliot Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    NORTHERN VIRGINIA USA
    Thanks for the info

Thanks for bringing me up to speed on that.

5. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I have the Panasonic 45-200 zoom which I use with the E-P1. I have played with both lens IS and in-body IS with that lens and cannot conclude that one is better than the other. There really is nothing significant in it.

Also, while I expected the lens based IS to provide a more stable Live View, particularly at the long end of the zoom, I didn't notice any significant improvement there either. Relaxing and taking a deep breath worked better.

I leave the camera IS on and don't use the lens based system as my other lenses don't have built in IS and that's what I am use to working with.