1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus employee allegedly steals $336K in camera gear, sells it on eBay

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by b_rubenstein, May 17, 2016.

1. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm not condoning his actions, but I guess he'll get banged to rights for this whilst the board level crooks who stripped Olympus of millions just got early retirement.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Damn, he's a fellow Penn State'r, farther tarnishing our image...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    He seemed to have a decent job position, makes me wonder why he'd resort to grand theft?

6. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Yeah. Just like the Silk Road dude. Hard being a PSU alum these days.

7. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I guess with such an expansive alumni base, there are bound to be a few bad apples here and there...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I think that is reasonable in itself. In the bigger picture, these things only add to people's perception of the university which has been impacted by the university's handling of the Sandusky episode. And speaking of expansive, my little street in CA has 4 PSU alums.

According to this story, his eBay username was "colt45psu".

9. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Someone was "selling" Olympus 150mm F2 lenses on Amazon for like $800 awhile ago and had two listed under different names and of course both with very similar names and no sales history. They would get taken down and relisted periodically. Also had a 7-14 F4 listed on there and got some phony email phishing offers spoofing like it came from amazon.

10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Enough is never enough for some people.

What is stupid is that he would have probably made the $336,000 honestly in the time it will take him to deal with his criminal mess while making nothing.

11. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Wait, how do I become an Olympus "Visionary" and get free gear?

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    1. Buy a bunch of expensive Olympus gear
    2. Take pictures with said Olympus gear
    3. ?
    4. Profit
    That's obviously a joke (kinda). From what I've heard, you must ONLY shoot with Olympus equipment, and obviously be quite good. Beyond that, I don't know. I do know there are some visionaries who are on the site here though that you could contact.

• Like Like x 1
  13. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Forget it. Nobody tells me what gear to photograph my cats with! ;)

• Funny Funny x 8
  14. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Lots of people misread the risk/reward equation in both business and crime. Some people get greedy, and some never even run the probabilities before plunging into something. "There's no cure for stupid."

15. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I don't know, of course, but all the usual vices taken to the extreme, quickly come to mind. Then again, some awfully smart guys are just dumb, and go about their criminal activity in the dumbest way possible.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Shoot! I've done everything but point 4! I could SO do that job! I consider myself excellent at point #3.

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Obviously an idiot for thinking it would not be found out.

What surprises me is the amount of gear given to Oly visionaries. 300k? Through just one guy? Those visionaries better persuade a significant amount of people to buy Oly gear. Still, Oly must have been worried about Sony and their Artisan program...

18. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That he stole that much doesn't mean Olympus were supposed to give that much. Maybe as a marketing guy with some authority he inflated the budget for promotional goods so he could siphon it off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    If there are 100 Visionaries then that's $3k per, which amounts to a nice body and 2-3 good lenses. So it's not a lot per photog. But @Ramsey@Ramsey has a point - I've never seen them myself.

20. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm sure the figures quoted are based on full MSRP, too.

• Agree Agree x 1