1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus EM5 - when is the next model likely?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BlueDevil, Aug 25, 2016.

1. BlueDevil

BlueDevil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Australia
    I know it isn't all that long since the EM5 MKII was released but I'm wondering if anyone has an educated guess on when the next model, presumably a MkIII, could be released? Is there any pattern to how many years there are between releases for various Olympus models that could possibly shed some light on how long before the next model?

TIA.

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    about 2 years from now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BlueDevil

BlueDevil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks, that's a bit disappointing because I'm keen to upgrade my underwater camera gear from an EPL5 to an EM5 but I figure I may as well wait for the new version which will no doubt have a 20mp sensor. Based on current camera size and some housing port issues I reckon the EM5 would be a better choice than the forthcoming new EM1.

Will have to wait and see I guess!

4. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Hopefully next spring but it's more realistic to be 2018. Plenty of time to copy... ehm, create a X-T2 styled articulating screen. :biggrin:

I just hope my beloved E-M5 can hold it together till then...

5. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    If it`s a 3 year new release schedule, it should be released in about 1.5 years.

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If you want a 20mp sensor, you can get a PENF now or en EM1 Mk II here shortly.

7. BlueDevil

BlueDevil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Australia
    Quite right, but I've already got a PEN F but Olympus don't make an underwater housing for it. The EM1 MK II will be interesting but being a bit bigger than the EM5 it requires a housing that is a bit bigger and that adds to weight and bulk when traveling. I may well end up getting the new EM1 but probably not for underwater use.

8. BlueDevil

BlueDevil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Australia
    I'm not familiar with the screen on the X-T2 but I absolutely hate the fully articulating screen on the PEN F and love the tilt screen on my OMD. The tilt screen is fabulous for stealthy street photography whereas the articulating screen on the PEN F is slow and awkward to use for that purpose. I live in hope that they won't put the articulating screen on the new OMD but I fear that it is likely they will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    See slides 6-9, I think this is genius: Faster flagship: Hands-on with the Fujifilm X-T2

10. kud0s69

kud0s69 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2015
    Remember. There is always gonna be a new model around the corner. Welcome to consumerism. Buy the camera for the price that fits your needs :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    i would think they will want to wait until they have some new features or sensor to put in the new model. It seems the new 20MP sensor is not really any better than the old sensor in image quality, so I doubt that alone would be a big selling factor. I wonder how EM5II was selling. the way it was discounted so relatively quickly via Olympus refurbished store, maybe not too well.

12. BlueDevil

BlueDevil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Australia
    That looks excellent. Waist level shooting is important to me and I want to be able to do it without having the screen sticking out the side of the camera. Hope Olympus adopt a similar system and get rid of the silly articulating screen I have to put up with on the PEN F.

• Agree Agree x 1