Olympus EM1MK111 early next year

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Since you mentioned the Sony sensors, here is a screen shot of the presently available camera sensors. https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/e/products/IS/camera/product.html

View attachment 780513

Industrial products here. https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/e/products/IS/industry/product.html
And Security/Surveillance. https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/e/products/IS/security/product.html
The list is incomplete. There are other sensors developed too (such as the new ~47MP 4/3 one that was announced a while ago). And then there's the sensors that are made exclusively to some companies.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
The list is incomplete. There are other sensors developed too (such as the new ~47MP 4/3 one that was announced a while ago). And then there's the sensors that are made exclusively to some companies.
No its there but under industrial pruducts, IMX492 is made for industrial use.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
What are the chances Olympus will do some low hanging video features that even tiny companies like ZCam and Blackmagic can pull off? E.g., spin a minor rev of TruePic VIII with a few PCIe lanes so they can do CF/SDExpress (or heck even just USB attached SCSI), and then dump 4k30 x ORFs to the storage media with the existing processing pipeline... one can dream, right?

Joking aside, I feel Olympus should uprev the PDAF performance ASAP. The EM1mkII with firmware 3.0, feels last generation next to my A7rIII (less responsive, not as sure in low light even when given an aperture advantage, less accurate tracking distant subjects, really bad on adapted glass). And Sony/Fuji each have higher end AF systems on cameras in the same segment or lower (A6400, XT3/XT30). I'd love to be able to use my M43 Pro glass in all action scenarios at the beach with my dogs & family, without having to lead the focus point or accept lower hit rate with certain movements. As it is, it kind of makes more sense to buy the comparable size/price point glass on Sony (IE, 40-150 Pro vs a 70-300, or 300Pro vs 100-400GM) because of the easier to use AF and better image quality, so my M43 glass investment is focused on unique lenses not found in the other systems.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Hmm... Spotted this from the DPreview forum:
According to latest rumors surfaced over the web Olympus E-M10 Mark IV Coming on Aug / Sep 2020 if everything goes in schedule. Prototypes of the to be announced camera spotted with a 20MP sensor and Vari-angle display screen like E-M1 Mark II camera to impress entry level users.
So they ruined the E-M10 series as well. Well, **** off then, Olympus! I'll buy the E-M5III, hate the screen and buy a used E-M10III (for the work I can't do with a swivel screen) when I can find one for 200-250EUR and start hoping Olympus realizes in the next 3 years that there are better solutions than that god awful swivel screen. If they don't, I guess I'll back my bags, move on and buy another brand then.

I wonder what this rumor means for the E-M1III. I'm 100% sure it won't be announced before spring - and wouldn't even bet on the spring release either but who knows. Designing, creating and testing 3 different cameras (E-M5III, E-PL10, E-M10IV) AND the E-M1III at the same time? Hmmm... Do they really have the resources?

Last edited:

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So they ruined the E-M10 series as well. Well, **** off then, Olympus! I'll buy the E-M5III, hate the screen and buy a used E-M10III (for the work I can't do with a swivel screen) when I can find one for 200-250EUR and start hoping Olympus realizes in the next 3 years that there are better solutions than that god awful swivel screen. If they don't, I guess I'll back my bags, move on and buy another brand then.
I don't get the hate for the flip out screens since I personally love it on the E-M1II over the tilt screen from the E-M5.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I don't get the hate for the flip out screens since I personally love it on the E-M1II over the tilt screen from the E-M5.
It's OK. I don't get why anyone would prefer listening to death metal over EDM but some people do. And should be entitled to do so too. Just like I think us tilt preferring people should be allowed to have our tilt screens. :whistling:

EDIT: you can replace the words "listening to death metal" and "EDM" with e.g. "driving SUVs" and "sportswagons" or "eating oranges" and "apples". You get the picture. Even if someone tries to convince someone else the swivel screen is better than other solutions, it's still an opinion and not a fact.

And why I'm so passionate about this issue is that I'm starting to run out of options. "No soup for you!" might some say... Nobody likes to hear that said to you.

Last edited:

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I get it...but what i dont get why anyone would prefer listening to EDM over death metal but some people do :hmmm:;)

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian

I wonder what this rumor means for the E-M1III. I'm 100% sure it won't be announced before spring - and wouldn't even bet on the spring release either but who knows. Designing, creating and testing 3 different cameras (E-M5III, E-PL10, E-M10IV) AND the E-M1III at the same time? Hmmm... Do they really have the resources?
For someone so vocal about rear LCD hinges, you're not doing a good job of voting with your money. You can complain all you want online, but if you keep giving money to Olympus, they'll keep on doing it.

If you want a 20MP compact body with a hinged LCD, why don't you buy a GX9? Or as you said, move to another brand. Fuji, Sony, and Nikon all offer cameras with fantastic sensors and glass, with your beloved hinged rear LCD.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Same. I don't have a strong preference one way or the other, but I liked the swivel screen on my E-M1 II's. I've gotten used to going back to a regular hinged LCD on my Z6 and D500's.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Yes, there is another which I copied from back then.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
It's OK. I don't get why anyone would prefer listening to death metal over EDM but some people do. And should be entitled to do so too. Just like I think us tilt preferring people should be allowed to have our tilt screens. :whistling:

EDIT: you can replace the words "listening to death metal" and "EDM" with e.g. "driving SUVs" and "sportswagons" or "eating oranges" and "apples". You get the picture. Even if someone tries to convince someone else the swivel screen is better than other solutions, it's still an opinion and not a fact.

And why I'm so passionate about this issue is that I'm starting to run out of options. "No soup for you!" might some say... Nobody likes to hear that said to you.
I get your frustration. I like the articulating screen for a number of situations but also, if generally only using the camera in landscape position then the tilt screen is more convenient.

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
I'd argue strongly against that all day long. New features when moving from the M1.1 to the M1.2 include:
  • 20MP sensor, which offered significant low-light, hi-ISO performance over the sensor used in the M1.1
  • At the time, hands-down the best electronic shutter on the market (only beaten even today by Sony's A9)
  • Hi-res mode (not on the M1.1, and a huge improvement from that on the M5.2)
  • Pro Capture mode
  • 60fps when shooting with a fixed focal point
  • 4K video
  • Massive battery life improvement
  • UHS-II support for faster data transfer and thus improved buffer performance
The M1.2 was a huge upgrade from the M1.1 in nearly every area.
yeah, you’re right, and that became evident after I’d used the Mk2 for a bit. I should have qualified that “it appeared to be incremental” rather than stating it as strongly as I did. My first impressions of the mk2 were a little underwhelming. It felt almost identical in the hand. The EVF was only a marginal improvement. The screen was unchanged(?). Still shots, despite the improved shutter, felt like a very familiar experience.

It was only after I’d used it for a bit and started exploring some of the high speed features that the improvements became more apparent.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
yeah, you’re right, and that became evident after I’d used the Mk2 for a bit. I should have qualified that “it appeared to be incremental” rather than stating it as strongly as I did. My first impressions of the mk2 were a little underwhelming. It felt almost identical in the hand. The EVF was only a marginal improvement. The screen was unchanged(?). Still shots, despite the improved shutter, felt like a very familiar experience.

It was only after I’d used it for a bit and started exploring some of the high speed features that the improvements became more apparent.
I think that's a more fair assessment. At first blush, it was a more polished E-M1. However, once you really shot with it and dug through the menu and settings, it's evident that the E-M1 II was a big upgrade, and is still a very relevant camera in 2019.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
For someone so vocal about rear LCD hinges, you're not doing a good job of voting with your money. You can complain all you want online, but if you keep giving money to Olympus, they'll keep on doing it.

If you want a 20MP compact body with a hinged LCD, why don't you buy a GX9? Or as you said, move to another brand. Fuji, Sony, and Nikon all offer cameras with fantastic sensors and glass, with your beloved hinged rear LCD.
I suspect that Olympus did the calculations, and the swivel screens were more popular and didn't want to make multiple copies, also for economic reasons.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Also, if you make a tilt screen camera, every reviewing site gives you a "con" for not having a swivel screen. Reviewers seem to be almost universal is preferring swivel to tilt only. (Not sure why, BTW) Intro level cameras often go to folks who don't really know what they will like and have no tilt/swivel preference. They read reviews and "see" that swivel is better. I expect this is a big influence on Olympus, and not unreasonably so given that their job is to sell cameras and make the most money.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
Also, if you make a tilt screen camera, every reviewing site gives you a "con" for not having a swivel screen. Reviewers seem to be almost universal is preferring swivel to tilt only. (Not sure why, BTW)
I think it is because so many reviews now are by YouTube channels, and there is an inherent bias towards certain video features. There are definitely stills oriented channels that try to argue for tilt screen, but its a minority.

I am waiting for the perfect origami mechanism to show up, that combines both articulating and tilt without being massive or janky.

Or maybe modular cameras will become a thing... yeah right...

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I suspect that Olympus did the calculations, and the swivel screens were more popular and didn't want to make multiple copies, also for economic reasons.
And videography prefers side swivel to tilt only. Video capabilities are now a major design influence.

Best of both worlds with the FF Panasonic S1H mirrorless FF.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I think it is because so many reviews now are by YouTube channels, and there is an inherent bias towards certain video features. There are definitely stills oriented channels that try to argue for tilt screen, but its a minority.

I am waiting for the perfect origami mechanism to show up, that combines both articulating and tilt without being massive or janky.

Or maybe modular cameras will become a thing... yeah right...
Yes, but if you’re REALLY serious about vlogging, then you’ve got an external LCD that’s hot shoe mounted along with a shotgun mic for better audio, all being stabilized on a hand-held gimbal while you ride your electric skateboard through traffic.

If you’re not doing that, are you really even a YouTuber at all?

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
Yes, there is another which I copied from back then.

View attachment 780631
Not clear whether this sensor can be used out of the box for photography, IE it could be video only and have exclusively 10 bit readout / 10 bit DR. They might have cheated on those pixels to get so many packed in there; I don't know if surveillance requires pixels to remain the same quality across generations in the same format like photography demands.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom