1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus EM10 Wfi Drops Connections Constantly ! ! !

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by broncophil, Mar 13, 2014.

1. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    I got the EM10 strictly for the wifi function, since there was no easy way to do it with the EM5 ( ok ok, getting the 25 1.8 for $299 and the 9-18 for $499 helped in the decision )

I have messed with the wifi 4 times so far and when transferring images or shooting through my phone, it keeps on losing connection with phone.. it doesnt hold for more than a couple minutes..

Any suggetions.

2. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Fortunately, I have not yet had any issues with my E-M10 Wi-Fi dropping and I've been using it constantly for several weeks. That, I know, does not help you, but I share it only as point of reference. Interested to hear if others are having issues and will certainly report if my experience changes, broncophil.

3. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    I have played with mine for a while and have not had any connections dropping. I tried walking away from the camera, and going into a different room without direct line of sight. I have noticed that the range with direct line of is about 30ft. After that, it starts to become unresponsive.

The only problem that I have had, and it happened only once, is that the camera was stuck in the starting wifi screen. The camera was unresponsive and I had to remove the battery to reset it.

4. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I had a similar problem last night, leungw.

5. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    So I guess the hanging issue is more common that I thought. Hopefully they would fix it in future firmware release.

I really like being able to control the power zoom from the remote app. I just wish I have a tripod that could turn the camera left and right remotely. :biggrin:

6. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    i uninstalled the app, and reinstalled. it works about 50% of the time now.. but after about 10-15 minutes i will have to restart for it to work again

7. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    I wonder if the hardware makes a difference. I have an iPhone 5.

8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have only used it a few times, all without issues. Well, actually, I do have issues with Olympus Wi-Fi and it has nothing to do with connectivity. I wish that it transferred full sized pictures (and RAW). At least for me, the Wi-Fi app only is good for quick pics to email or to post or to use it as a wireless remote.

9. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Fwiw, there's someone on the Panasonic forum complaining about the same thing with GX7's when using an HTC device. Other GX7 folks have solved the problem by renewing their DHCP leases.

10. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Leungw, I have an iPhone 5 and iPad 3rd gen both with newest OS update (7.1) and have no problem with connectivity or performance besides the one time my iPad froze up while app was running.

11. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    To the hardware question: I am using an iPhone 5, iPad Air & iOS 7.1.

12. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    U r right.. prob hardware. Im using android htc one.. and i have noticed that apple apps work better in general. And i have not had an iphone since the 4s

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

13. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    It might have to do with your phone wifi settings. I'm using a Galaxy S4 and didn't had any issues at all. Just make sure that the wifi of your phone doesn't go into standby and that it doesn't automatically switch between wifi networks. Otherwise it might switch from the E-M10 to your home wifi if its signal is stronger or thinks it has a higher priority.

14. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have an E-M10 and an iPhone 4 and a couple of times now my camera has frozen when using the WiFi. I have had trouble with the Olympus Image Share finding the camera. The iPhone WiFi is connected to the camera, but Olympus Image Share can't find the camera.I've also tried to re-scan the scan image, and when using Olympus Image Share it refuses to focus on the scan image. When I turn the WiFi off by hitting the menu button, the camera freezes, and the screen won't shut off when I turn the camera off. The only solution I have found is to remove the battery.

But I am able to connect correctly and use the phone as a remote when it wants to behave. I have also used the WiFi with an iPad 3 and I haven't had any problems with that connection.

13251366484_b9ab3d654d_b.
    WiFi by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

15. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
  16. emmecinque

emmecinque Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    If the camera keeps the WiFi radio on all the time, can't you expect your camera battery to drain pretty quickly?

17. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Yes... Be prepared for colossal battery drain when fiddling with the Wifi feature. Even my E-M1 drains much more quickly when I use the WiFi to remote-shoot with it.

Regarding re-scanning the Wifi, Apple iPhones can be kind-of tricky with this. The bar-code scan creates a wifi profile on your iPhone it uses to store connection settings. However, I found that repeatedly scanning and that barcode begins to clobber whatever Apple stores on the phone. You have to delete the profile first (under the Wifi network menu on the phone) before you rescan.

Also, when you connect to the phone, you should go into the iPhone wifi menu after you have started the wireless service on the E-M10 and wait for it to see the camera in the list of available networks. If it doesn't take it up and connect on its own, just tap it and it should connect. Once you are connected THEN run the OI.Share app. The OI.Share App doesn't do anything to find your camera - it can't reliably control the Apple Wifi stack itself.

When you're done using OI.Share, don't use the function to turn off the camera at the bottom. Close the app (and kill it) then disconnect from the camera. Your camera should go back to normal.

• Like Like x 1
  18. emmecinque

emmecinque Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    The Eye-Fi "Mobi" cards explicitly try to minimize battery drain by keeping the radio off unless there are pictures to transfer. It's a fairly rickety system, and it works better on Android than it does on iOS because Android provides hooks so that the Eye-Fi app can force the device to drop any other wireless connection (like to your own home wifi gateway) and connect to the camera whenever it detects the camera radio. It works well when you're out and about (even with iOS) because probably the only wifi you get is that of the card/camera. Another weird effect of connecting a mobile device to the camera is that while connected, you can't do things like check email or Facebook because the mobile device thinks the camera is "The Internet".

19. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    No, it is not an issue if you are just uploading 50 - 250 pics at a time. It is quick and there is no need to keep Wi-Fi on, it may shut itself off as well. What is the real battery drain, is the GPS tracking. And, the battery drain is on the smart phone and not the camera.