Shootout Olympus EM1 Mark II Versus Nikon D500 - Shooting Ice Hockey

• Thread starter Deleted member 20897
  • Start date

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
just myself. I'm a Canucks fan.
Ah ok. That explains a lot. There is relatively no restriction for internal press and CP, some restrictions for freelance and lots of restrictions for fans. And I think you can guess as to why? :)

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Vancouver Canucks is very restrictive on lens length. LA Kings is probably worse. Photographing a band like U2 from close up is on my bucket list.
Staples Center has a strict policy:
Non-professional, non-flash still photography is permitted at most events (disposable, digital, or 35mm cameras with no interchangeable or telephoto lens). However, for some events, at the request of the artist/performer/team, cameras of any type may be prohibited. Video recording devices, audio recording devices, Go Pro cameras, monopods, tripods, selfie sticks, and cameras with telephoto or interchangeable lenses (professional photography equipment) are not permitted inside STAPLES Center at any time. Video recording on any device and/or flash photography is prohibited at all times. This policy will be strictly enforced and management reserves the right to deny any electronic device at their discretion.
Guest Services A-Z | STAPLES Center

They used to allow lenses under a couple inches, and had recently changed to this policy when I went to a Lakers game... I mounted the 9mm BCL on my E-M1 and put it and the 40-150R in my wife's purse. Security saw it but allowed it anyways.

Real Name
Mel
We will have a first for us when we photograph our minor league hockey team on 2/1/19. There are no restrictions on cameras and lenses and we will be allowed on the ice at game end to shoot the players who will stay around for autographs and photos. I have only been to one NHL game at the Dallas American Center but we were in one of the boxes with drinks, food, and other amenities. I went to another local minor league event years ago and was prepared for the cold inside the arena. From my first experience to the Dallas event, the changes for safety has been very great with much more netting. There was a horrible accident years ago when a 2-year-old was hit with a puck while being with his dad who was drinking and not paying attention with the kid behind the goal. Immediate changes were made to have netting instead of the low glass. Looking forward to the event although I am not that up on hockey.

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hey did they remove the flash from the ceiling? I'm watching the game at the moment (because MTL, my hometown, are playing against them) and didn't notice them at all. Usually they're quite obvious on tv..

Ken I've handled (fondled! LOL) a D500 with a Nikon tele and it was so sweet.
What tele (zoom?) do you use on birds?
It certainly had me pondering that combo for birds only and EM5 for all other. Not sure how long that would last.
But size and weight is important as I realise I'm getting old and older LOL

pvasc

New to Mu-43
Interesting, not sure why the tc either. The M1 Mk2 has its limits, if I recall 10fps max if you want C-AF to capture every frame. Just did this, had pro-capture low set to 10fps and it never missed a shot, or it missed all of them. I think out of 10 sequences it missed 2 and that was my fault. I pushed the limits by using all 121 points to see if the camera would stay on the aircraft, more than once it jumped to a high contrast ground object like runway signs or hangers. Against the sky it worked okay but would lock on clouds. Point here is use smaller group of targets...9 or 25.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Interesting, not sure why the tc either. The M1 Mk2 has its limits, if I recall 10fps max if you want C-AF to capture every frame. Just did this, had pro-capture low set to 10fps and it never missed a shot, or it missed all of them. I think out of 10 sequences it missed 2 and that was my fault. I pushed the limits by using all 121 points to see if the camera would stay on the aircraft, more than once it jumped to a high contrast ground object like runway signs or hangers. Against the sky it worked okay but would lock on clouds. Point here is use smaller group of targets...9 or 25.
Try the e-shutter.
You can go up to 18fps, with C-AF.

Agree, about the smaller groups. I think the AF will work faster when it has less AF points to scan for focus.

Real Name
Ken
Ken I've handled (fondled! LOL) a D500 with a Nikon tele and it was so sweet.
What tele (zoom?) do you use on birds?
It certainly had me pondering that combo for birds only and EM5 for all other. Not sure how long that would last.
But size and weight is important as I realise I'm getting old and older LOL
Richard---with my d500 I use a 70-200 f/4, and a 300 f/4pf. Both these lens are compact and light---no problem handling. Like I said I love my Oly gear but for tracking and holding focus the Oly just can't cut it.

Ken

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
Richard---with my d500 I use a 70-200 f/4, and a 300 f/4pf. Both these lens are compact and light---no problem handling. Like I said I love my Oly gear but for tracking and holding focus the Oly just can't cut it.

Ken
Agreed. Have been participated on equestrian photo competition, my Nikon D300s is far more reliable. I'm using 70-200mm F2.8 by the way.

Thanks Ken & Reza
I've a feeling it was a 70-200 I tried.
On the D500 how does that equate in EM1 terms? What equivalent length please?
My Panasonic 100-400mm really is as much as I'd desire, but even at 300 still satisfies a lot of my needs.
The resolution of the D500 photos I've seen are so good and that autofocus!

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks Ken & Reza
I've a feeling it was a 70-200 I tried.
On the D500 how does that equate in EM1 terms? What equivalent length please?
My Panasonic 100-400mm really is as much as I'd desire, but even at 300 still satisfies a lot of my needs.
The resolution of the D500 photos I've seen are so good and that autofocus!
70-200 on DX x1.5x crop is approx equiv to 105-300 on FX
From FX to m4/3. With a 2x crop m4/3 equivalent is 52-150.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom