1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus EM1 Mark ii price - is something moving?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Saledolce, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    Did you guys notice any change in the price of EM1.ii? I noticed some aggressive offers online (Amazon, plus some grey importers), plus I'm starting to see used bodies arriving on the market. I did a similar search before the G9 availability, and found pretty much nothing. Did you notice something similar?

2. x_holger

x_holger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    Berlin, Germany
    Here in Europe Olympus has reduced the price to 1699 Euros.

Before that there had been an Olympus Winter rebate of 200 Euros on the E-M1 Mk.II

I combined the Winter rebate with the Christmas special of my photo dealer ...... so it was 1498,95 in december.

3. ArizonaMike

ArizonaMike Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 19, 2018
    Arizona, USA
    It is down to $1600 on Amazon here in the US this morning. I wonder how much lower it might go, and why it is dropping now. It is way too early for a Mk III.

4. x_holger

x_holger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    Berlin, Germany
    I guess that Olympus is reacting on the lower list price of the Panasonic G9 (1699 from the start)
    The older E-M1 Mk. I had a list price of 1499 when introduced in 2013/14.

So 1600$/Euro is not unreasonable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Saledolce

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    Ok, one is in flight right now. Will be delivered tomorrow hopefully, it's a used one from Amazon Warehouse I'll check if the description is reliable and eventually send it back.

6. stevedo

stevedo Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2012
    UK
    Steve Douglas
    I'm a little confused. You've ordered something that you're just going to send back? Doesn't make sense to me unless I've misinterpreted what you've written.

7. Saledolce

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    No, that's not the plan.:) 

I picked a used one from Amazon Warehouse Deals. As you probably know, you don't get a loto of details on the camera itself: no pictures, no details like the number of actuations. Amazon simply gives you a ranking on the item quality (as new, very good, good, acceptable).

The one I picked is decribed as "very good". If this is not true, it will go back. If the item is correctly described, I'll be happy to keep it.

8. stevedo

stevedo Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2012
    UK
    Steve Douglas
    ah, makes sense now. Let's hope you get a good one :) 

9. Quadna71

Quadna71 Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2016
    I took advantage of the recent price drop too. I was on the fence for a long time about getting a new body that was weatherproofed and so far only the em-5ii had been my sights..but then I took a huge leap of faith and just went for the em-1ii instead. I was a little concerned about the difference in size compared to my em-10ii, but quickly realized that they are very similar in dimensions considering I have the Oly grip on my em-10ii about 100% of the time.

10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I mean, the camera has been out for over a year now, so I would expect the price to come down some, especially with new competing cameras on the market.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Quadna71

Quadna71 Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2016
    While I agree with this, what makes me think it is only a temporary price is the fact that on the Olympus site the discounted new em-1ii is the same price as the reconditioned em-1ii. If the price was going to stay lower than $2k then wouldn't you think they would bring down the price of the reconditioned bodies?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MFTmaster

MFTmaster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2017
    Michigan
    Rick V
    When they Come down to $1200 U.S. I will buy another one (EM1 MKII)

13. ArizonaMike

Jan 19, 2018
    Arizona, USA
    :) 

My thought was that I might do that as well, but by the time the price drops that far the Mark III will probably be out.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Saledolce

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    My used EM1 took 100 pictures, looks perfectly like new. It's not going back:) 

Now need to understand how to upgrade firmware ...

15. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Go to get Olympus dot com and follow direction under firmware updates. It is easy. Take out your memory cards first!

16. ArizonaMike

Jan 19, 2018
    Arizona, USA
    Yes. By all means, take out the memory cards first. I forgot and it caused me some trouble.

17. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    On Amazon UK the manufacturers warranty is completely excluded / cancelled on Amazon warehouse purchases and they don't provide their own warranty
    You therefore have only 30 days cover ( the return period) although I would expect Amazon to consider a refund or replacement under other consumer laws if the camera failed prematurely
    Something to bear in mind though perhaps ?

18. Saledolce

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    I don't know, I'm in full em1.ii orgasm mode. my brain is offline. Will read more about those "details" in the next days. :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.