Olympus EM1 is a well made MFT camera :)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I know I know ... I am not an Olympus ******:smile:I had opportunity to handle new EM1 at a digital show today . I am very impressed . It's much more sturdy and perfect size . The on camera grip is what OMd should have before . I also handled it with HLD7 . I am going back tomorrow again will post some videos and pics with 4/3 lenses . My Fuji charger betrayed me as it didn't charge the batteries:mad: I will take OMD with me and shoot some videos and pics .But it's. a beautiful and sturdy machine .I loved it .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yes!!! agreed hehe I think the feel is very good. Sturdy and solid. Buttons are nice and tactile. Everything seems well thought out. EVF is awesome!!

Have you tried it with 4/3 lenses? it can focus fairly fast too :smile:

3. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi Bhupinder
    The E-M5 was better as it was as it gave users the choice of grip or no grip for choice of handling with bigger lenses / hands and without the grip easier pocketability
    It is better that there is a choice of the two different styles
    I still prefer the E-M5 for this reason
    Choice and 'different strokes for different folks' is always a bonus !
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  4. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Does the grip really affect pocketability? I would think that any lens would stick out as much as the grip, so as long as it has a lens on it, the grip wouldn't make any difference. I know that you could, as someone said in another thread, keep the lens in another pocket, but I just don't see myself taking the lens on and off every time I take the camera out. I know that for me, a grip like the one built into my G5 makes holding the camera much more secure and comfortable.

5. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    That might be my thread, and yes the grip does affect pocketability ;)

6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Your Fuji charger didnt charge the batteries? Sounds very familiar to me.

The battery charger is the thing I hate the most about the OMD. For a start you cant charge usb. But it is the way that the battery light goes on if you are charging and then goes 'off' when it is fully charged. If the charger doesnt charge - a loose wall connection or batter not in right - the light is also 'off' so you think it is fully charged when it isnt.

Even worse when you put it back in the camera in usually shows 'fully charged' immediately even if it is owned 'partly charged' only to then go to battery empty' within in a minute.

I suspect that the Fuji works in much the same way! Anyhow Bhupi, if you get a chance tomorrow, checkout the battery charger and see if it has improved.

• Like Like x 2
  7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Best m4/3 camera? Not if you shoot video it isn't. Not if you don't want an EVF it isn't. Not if you want truly small it isn't.

Looks like a great camera. Just not the best for everyone.

Gordon

• Like Like x 2
  8. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Put a 14mm Panasonic Pancake on the E-M5 and it is pocketable albeit a large pocket is required
    When I am out and about with my 4 year old daughter this makes the world of difference to the versatility of the camera

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bhupinder2002

Fuji is quite loose, there is a gap between which u need to flll with something .
    cheers

10. Bhupinder2002

Yes Rob..but EM1 will need cargo pants which Olympus should offer free :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

11. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I don't even find my E-PM1 pocketable. That was a major disappointment for me when I first bought it. I originally got into u4/3 to supplement my APS-C Canon. I was considering a u4/3 and the higher end Canon P&S like the S100 and G15. I ruled out the G15 because it was definitely not pocketable for me and then decided to give the E-PM1 a shot. Funny, I have since sold all my Canon gear and bought a G5 and three lenses. And I still don't have a camera that fits in one of my pockets :rolleyes:

12. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    You must have some large pockets, because I certainly wouldn't dare try and put a EM5 in my pocket and try to walk comfortably.

My solution to this (and I have a 6 month old and a lot of baby stuff to carry around) was to get one of those DSPTCH camera straps and wear my E-M5 sling style. Nice, light weight, keeps the camera always accessible but out of the way when I don't want it to be.

13. Bhupinder2002

I didnt say its best for everyone Gordon .. from construction , features and able to use 4/3 lenes sets it apart from other MFT offerings at this point and that is a remarkable feat .Whats wrong with EVF ?If u dont want it fine .. Stick a large earing on horseshoe thingy and see thro it ..easly DIY OVF :wink:

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    To me, it almost doesn't matter how good it is, it seems to have lost the mission of what Micro 4/3 is all about, in terms of it's size and weight. It may be the best M4/3 camera in the same sense that a Nikon F5 was the best 35mm film camera. Perhaps on performance, but by becoming such a big heavy behemoth of a camera, it was certainly too big and heavy for me to want to use it (BTW, I have the same issue with the GH3). If I wanted a camera that was big and bulky without any performance compromises, I wouldn't have sold my Nikons, I'd have just gotten a D7100. - which BTW doesn't cost any more than an E-M1.

One thing I am hopeful of is that we might start seeing some price erosion on the E-P5 getting it with a VF-4 down to the level of a GX7

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bhupinder2002

I had the same impression before handling it . It has the same size as OMD with L shape grip but better ergonimics . I am going to the show tomorrow again will take an OMD with me ..I will bring various pics with different lenses .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

16. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Stop wearing skinny jeans and t-shirt!!

:biggrin:

E-PM2 with 14mm 2.5 definitely fits in a jacket pocket.

17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    "The BEST?" Why not "The KING?"

This thread, like the Fuji Flu thread and the OMD is "THE KING" thread and so many others seems bent on creating controversy and a big "stir" for the purpose of dancing around in circles to debate and defend the stir. The term "drama queen" comes to mind. As does the term "crippled." :rolleyes: I guess some folks just thrive on the drama of it all and the debate.

But isn't is absurd to continually select the latest model of the day then dramatically crown it superior to every other option?

Clearly no model is superior to other options, generally speaking. Such proclamations serve simply to stir up controversy, debate, and drama.

For those who thrive on such, I guess that's fine. But the modus operandi of repeatedly proclaiming successive new models as "the best" or "the king" in thread titles is intentionally provocative and seems immature and tiresome to me.

• Like Like x 10
  18. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    I try to shy away from saying something is the best etc.

As someone mentioned, what's best for me isn't what's best for you.

I wanted to get away from the DSLR body style for my "walk around" camera...so OM-D body definitely doesn't work for me.

E-P6 can't come fast enough... not because I want it... I'm waiting for E-P5 price to drop.

• Like Like x 1
  19. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    What sticks out and makes em5 not comfortablr and often stuck in the pocket is not as much grip part 1, but an awkward non slick viewfinder bump which in its shape makes placing em5 inside any pocket even with 14mm a challenge. Especially taking it out as it gets stuck and the rubber viewfinder thingy often gets dislodged. Other mirrorless cameras with evfs on the side without such bump are much easier and slicker to put in one's pocket (sonys, fujis Panasonic gx7 to some extent) the truth is em5 was kind of uncomfortable without the grip with almost all lenses other than perhaps 14 and 20. So build in grip of em1 is a welcome feature for me, a a long as it is a comfortable one and not too narrow.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  20. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    It's nice to see that the E-M1 is only 70g/2.5oz heavier than the E-M5. I'm not so bothered by large GH3 type bodies, but for me, the weight savings are at the top of the list of important features.

• Like Like x 1