1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus EM 5II - EVF

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave Reynell, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Dave Reynell

Dave Reynell Guest

Just a quick question : I am about to (finally) upgrade from my G1 to either the new Panasonic G7, or the Olympus EM 5II (or is it 11, or "2"). The Olympus has a head in front at the moment as (a) it is beautifully built, and more importantly (b) it has IBIS.

4K video offered by the G7 is wonderful for video enthusiasts but, to me, in body stabilisation is more important.

However, a good EVF is an absolute "must" and having taken a peep through the EVF's of the Panasonic GX7 and an earlier version of the Olympus OMD's I found these a bit disappointing, notably the EVF of the GX7 (not as big and bright as the finder on my G1).

Can anyone comment. Who has used the latest Olympus EM version and earlier Panasonic G's ?

Since I shall be purchasing the camera in Andorra (Europe) I will not be able to power it up before handing over my hard-earned cash ! How fortunate my American MU colleagues are.

Dave

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    E-M5ii's EVF is superb. Same as on the E-M1. I doubt there's better on the market today.Can't comme t on the G7. I think it's better than the GX7, but whether it's as good as the E-M5ii, I don't know.

3. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    I owned the E-M1 (same as the E-M5ii now) and the GX7 at the same time and they weren't even close. E-M1 was bigger with high resolution and very good refresh rate. The GX7 EVF felt very cramped, small, and (I felt) suffered from color tearing that was distracting. I got used to those things though b/c the camera itself was awesome to use. The only improvement I see in the E-M5ii over the E-M1 EVF is that the frame rate does not drop when peaking is enabled for MF.

4. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I haven't seen through the EVF on the E-M5 MkII, but I owned a MkI until very recently. I just got a G7 and the EVF in it is almost identical to the GH4 to me, bright, clear, and easy to see focus in. Very much superior IMO to that on the E-M5. In addition the feel and ergonomics of the G7 work better for me, I have medium size hands and the E-M5 felt small and cramped to me (although in many ways I liked and enjoyed using it).

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Top notch

6. profgregorio

profgregorio Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Manila, Philippines
    I have a G7 and I have handled the OMD EM5 II, the original OMD EM5 and the GX7. To my eyes, the EVFs of the G7 and the EM5II are very close in terms of resolution and are far superior to those of the GX7 and the EM5I.

7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    The E-M5 II has one of the best EVFs on the market along with the E-M1, Fuji X-T1, Leica Q and Sony A7R II to a name just a few.

When the original E-M5 came out, I loved everything about it except for two things (one of which was the EVF) which stopped me from buying one at that time until the E-M1 came out.

8. Dave Reynell

Dave Reynell Guest

Agreed about the ergonomics of the G7, the best that I have held. My old G1 isn't too shoddy either and I've used it with a wrist-strap (got rid of the neck strap) for several years - so convenient. The G7's grip, despite the better build of the OM, may well clinch the deal.

9. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I had the Panasonic GX7 and now have the Olympus E-M5II. The EVF on the M5II is in another world from the GX7. My E-M10 EVF is better than the GX7 was (bigger and brighter), and the M5II is at least a couple steps up from the M10