Olympus EM-5 Mark III news and rumors

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
The Canon M6-mk2 uses an add on EVF, not an integrated EVF. UGH
It's primary mode of operation is the rear screen, like a P&S camera.
That design seems like something aimed at the cell phone crowd.

That was the same reason that turned me off from the Nikon 1, V3. Nikon removed the integrated EVF of the V2.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
The Sigma primes do look pretty nice. I'd halfway considered the 16mm on u4:3, but it is a bit big. I want a wide fast prime for a trip next year. The Panasonic 15mm or the Oly 17mm are the top I'm considering.

Yup, I'm definitely way more excited about the 30mm / 56mm for M43. I actually had the 16mm on Sony for about 2 weeks, it has really good rendering and balances well on a bigger body. I think it would be good on my GH5 because the 15mm and 17mm are awkwardly small, and the focus ring has better damping IMO than either of those. But that lens is just comically proportioned on most of the M43 bodies.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
The Canon M6-mk2 uses an add on EVF

Looks like they still haven't brought back the tilt EVF. I was just about to make fun of its resolution, but then I noticed that it is a 2.36M OLED. That's actually pretty good, though the 0.63x magnification isn't great for aging eyes...

Real Name
M@
The Canon M6-mk2 uses an add on EVF, not an integrated EVF. UGH
It's primary mode of operation is the rear screen, like a P&S camera.
That design seems like something aimed at the cell phone crowd.

That was the same reason that turned me off from the Nikon 1, V3. Nikon removed the integrated EVF of the V2.

I was hoping they'd do an M50 MkII, not an M6 MkII.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Looks like they still haven't brought back the tilt EVF. I was just about to make fun of its resolution, but then I noticed that it is a 2.36M OLED. That's actually pretty good, though the 0.63x magnification isn't great for aging eyes...

I auditioned the E-M5 III yesterday at my local dealer. I’m 75, and wear glasses and the new OLED EVF was great, brighter than the one in my E-M1 II, and easy to see the whole screen.

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
I auditioned the E-M5 III yesterday at my local dealer. I’m 75, and wear glasses and the new OLED EVF was great, brighter than the one in my E-M1 II, and easy to see the whole screen.

Nice to hear, how did the build feel?

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
The problem is that people want Olympus to pull out all the stops and then sell the camera for $1000. I just don't think that's economically viable for them right now. Photography is a hobby business for them but they can't lose too much money. Investors/board members have already pushed for them to stop making cameras. They had that accounting scandal which indicates they are not exactly an efficient business machine. Nikon is far more invested in camera making and some of the decisions about the Z50 are at least as bad as any made on the EM5III. I'm certainly not defending them but this is their reality. I think it's pretty telling that their mu43 partner has invested heavily in a FF system. Mu43 has a certain part of the shrinking ILC market and it's just not going to get bigger. If you are not willing to live with shortcomings and/or quirkiness, then mu43 may not be the system for you. OTOH, the new EM5III is a fine image-taking system and I suspect those who buy it will be happy with it. As a long time Pentax user, I admit I may be more willing to put up with these kind of things.

Last edited:

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Just curious. Do you think the magnification got lower for eye relief reasons? You noted that it worked well with eyeglasses and that you could see the whole screen.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just curious. Do you think the magnification got lower for eye relief reasons? You noted that it worked well with eyeglasses and that you could see the whole screen.

I actually never considered why/how, just that it was fine for me, and reminded me of my Pen F.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nice to hear, how did the build feel?
If I had not been told it was a composite body and not metal, I doubt I would have known the difference. Lens mount was a bit stiff, but this was a "sample" preproduction unit and I was the very first person to put an SD card into it. It felt satisfyingly "chunky".

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
The problem is that people want Olympus to pull out all the stops and then sell the camera for $1000. I just don't think that's economically viable for them right now. Photography is a hobby business for them but they can't lose too much money. Investors/board members have already pushed for them to stop making cameras. They had that accounting scandal which indicates they are not exactly an efficient business machine. Nikon is far more invested in camera making and some of the decisions about the Z50 are at least as bad as any made on the EM5III. I'm certainly not defending them but this is their reality. I think it's pretty telling that their mu43 partner has invested heavily in a FF system. Mu43 has a certain part of the shrinking ILC market and it's just not going to get bigger. If you are not willing to live with shortcomings and/or quirkiness, then mu43 may not be the system for you. OTOH, the new EM5III is a fine image-taking system and I suspect those who buy it will be happy with it. As a long time Pentax user, I admit I may be more willing to put up with these kind of things.

I wanted them to either pull out the stops, or sell the camera for $1000

They did neither.

A new E-M5III that's just a cut-down E-M1.2 with some E-M10III bits (basically what we got) just can't justify being $1199.

A new E-M5III that was as big a step up as the previous models were could justify that. If there had been a couple big showy items in this release (like evolving the computational capabilities even further than the E-M1X did), I'd accept the launch price.

What we got was a VERY solid update with nothing showy and a couple losses in capability (smaller EVF, no support for an external battery grip). That's a $999 camera not a $1199 camera. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent $999 camera, but that's still not a viable $1199 camera.

And to make matters worse, launch at too high a price limits initial sales, especially when there's competing launches at this product level. Olympus cannot continue to launch slightly more camera for significantly more money when the whole crop sensor market is being pushed at both ends. They're still pricing as if it's 2013 and there's only one FF mirrorless camera and it sucks (original A7). That strategy burned them on the E-M1.2 and E-M1X launches and is going to do so again.

Saledolce

Mu-43 All-Pro
Em5.iii looks good enough as an upgrade from em5/em10 in the different marks. Not sure how many would "downgrade" from em1.ii, or better whats the price that would make this "move to the smaller body" meaningful.

Saledolce

Mu-43 All-Pro
That's a $999 camera not a $1199 camera. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent $999 camera, but that's still not a viable $1199 camera.

The street price will adjust quickly, as usual. Just don't buy it at day1 and you'll be fine.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
The street price will adjust quickly, as usual. Just don't buy it at day1 and you'll be fine.

I will be, but how many will look at the price and buy elsewhere, especially if upgrading from a E-M10 of some variety with a kit lens or two. The same price as an E-M5III nets you a X-T30 with Fuji's outstanding 18-55 f2.8-4 or a 35/2 WR or the 15-45 and enough price difference to pay for most of a 50-230.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
Em5.iii looks good enough as an upgrade from em5/em10 in the different marks. Not sure how many would "downgrade" from em1.ii, or better whats the price that would make this "move to the smaller body" meaningful.

The target market will mostly be upgraders from an older body. I expect few E-M1.2 users to even look here. But anybody running an E-m10 of any version or an original E-M5 are getting a huge upgrade, and it's an upgrade in most respects from the now 4 year old E-M5II or the 6 year old E-M1.

The hardest sell will be E-M5II users who don't use AF-C, because they gain the least from the update on paper.

Real Name
M@
The hardest sell will be E-M5II users who don't use AF-C, because they gain the least from the update on paper.

Agreed. I'm an E-M5II user, but I DO use AF-C, and that's one big thing that is really lacking, so the MkIII will be an upgrade for me. If I didn't need or use AF-C, I'd be more than happy with the MkII.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
The same price as an E-M5III nets you a X-T30 with Fuji's outstanding 18-55 f2.8-4 or a 35/2 WR or the 15-45 and enough price difference to pay for most of a 50-230.
I would have to agree.
I was at my local store yesterday to see if they new when they would get the mark 3, and as usual the Fuji cabinet had the most people around it. They tell me for mirrorless Fuji is one of their best sellers for the younger crowd with Sony slightly more popular for the older people looking for better image quality.
Fuji seems to be very well priced for what you get these days. When/if they XT3 line gets IBIS I think it may put pressure on the some sections of the Mu-43 market.

They still sell more DSLR's overall though.

They unfortunately had no idea when they would receive the Mark 3. I am looking forward to at least having a look at it as it ticks most of my boxes apart for the grip and dual card slots, something that I could do without.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
Agreed. I'm an E-M5II user, but I DO use AF-C, and that's one big thing that is really lacking, so the MkIII will be an upgrade for me. If I didn't need or use AF-C, I'd be more than happy with the MkII.

If you use AF-C, the only issue with the E-M5III is price, that same cost should get you a used E-M1.2 with very little trouble and isn't far off where an E-M1.2 is now

But it's definitely a no-brainer as an upgrade if you care about AF-C (and I should note, I do)

Latest threads

Top Bottom