Olympus EM-5 Mark III news and rumors

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
Looks MUCH better in black. The plastic top, in silver, is a big no-no IMO. S

Is it really plastic? Thought it was built with a top and bottom plate in metal. Personally i think the silver looks good, same look as the other models in silver with top and bottom plate in metal.

Last edited:

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
The 1-2 lever can become a nice ON-OFF switch and that's great but I don't know why olympus insist with the Playback button on the bottom right. It's hard to reach especially on smaller bodies. I would put it next to the Menu" button in place of the Info funtion so you can easily use it while using the viewfinder (very important for action shoot/quick chimping).
Eh... And I thought the power button on the left side was bad... I love that I can quickly review my photos with one hand after taking a photo and then return to shooting with just using my right hand. The "new" playback button position means you have to use both hands (or stretch your right thumb in supernatural ways) to see if the settings need adjusting before continuing shooting. That's just awful! Why on earth would you want the playback-button there? Does Olympus only listen to engineers when they design these products? Based on some decisions it's hard to believe they'd ask opinions of people who actually use the camera...

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Eh... And I thought the power button on the left side was bad... I love that I can quickly review my photos with one hand after taking a photo and then return to shooting with just using my right hand. The "new" playback button position means you have to use both hands (or stretch your right thumb in supernatural ways) to see if the settings need adjusting before continuing shooting. That's just awful! Why on earth would you want the playback-button there? Does Olympus only listen to engineers when they design these products? Based on some decisions it's hard to believe they'd ask opinions of people who actually use the camera...

I have no idea why some think the playback button is in a weird place. It is in the exact same place as my E-M1 II, my Pen F and my E-M10 II. So it has been an Olympus design “standard” for some time now. Same with the upper left power switch... “standard” on all the same models above, and also on the E-M5 II and the E-M1. So, these placements are certainly not new to anyone that has actually bought any new Olympus OMD in the last 6 years.

Last edited:

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It feels like people are nitpicking now that the specs are more or less out and there was less disappointment to be had than expected. The thread is 54 pages strong already, let's keep going!

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Looks like specs are not just "more or less", but completely, out: https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-e-m5-mark-iii-detailed-specifications-leaked

What I find interesting / noteworthy:
- 1080p at 100 fps slow-mo! Somewhat weird choice of framerate IMHO (120 would be expected), but still cool
- Comes with custom AF targets (seems same as E-M1X, not in the E-M1 II)
- 10 fps bursts with C-AF, no ProCap modes
- "B-exposure with continuous visualization" sounds like another feature already in the E-M1X, but I forgot its name at the moment
- Not sure if OLED viewfinder is the same as the PEN-F's or not

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
It feels like people are nitpicking now that the specs are more or less out and there was less disappointment to be had than expected. The thread is 54 pages strong already, let's keep going!
the bottom line is how many customers will emerge through those 54 pages and in all modesty, it does not look promising enough for Oly unless there are some extra tricks to be included in the semi-official price we now have on the table - I am not tempted enough as is to not look at the competition instead of keep investing my little money in the system over the next years, even more so with the longer model life cycle. I need either a better price or more tricks included, mostly computational enhanced (not blurry mess) bokeh, 1-2 stops max.

Last edited:

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
I have no idea why some think the playback button is in a weird place. It is in the exact same place as my E-M1 II, my Pen F and my E-M10 II. So it has been an Olympus design “standard” for some time now. Same with the upper left power switch... “standard” on all the same models above, and also on the E-M5 II and the E-M1. So, these placements are certainly not new to anyone that has actually bought any new Olympus OMD in the last 6 years.
I'm definetly not new to Olympus and yes it's like that on my Pen-f and EM1 too but that doesn't make it right.. Like PAKE stated you have to do some weird thumb movement to reach that button, at least in my case. It's less a problem on my EM1 mk2 because the body is bigger but on small bodies like my PEN-F I can definetly feel it. Now I shoot ton of action/sports pictures and need quick preview capability ( so I use that button a lot), maybe you don't shoot action and that's fine but that doesn't make my feedback wrong. Same thing with the ON-OFF button on the top left. It's a standard now but that's clearly not the best place to put it on a camera IMO. Again that can be seen as nitpicking but when you shoot fast-paced scenes that make a BIG difference.

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
You can program that button, And assign preview to other buttons.
And assign other functions to the preview button.
Put preview just about anywhere you want (on the camera that is ? )
I'm referring to EM5-2 on mine

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
Is it really plastic? Thought it was built with a top and bottom plate in metal. Personally i think the silver looks good, same look as the other models in silver with top and bottom plate in metal.
Humm maybe I'm wrong on this one but It's rumoured to be have more plactics bits and the low position of the eyelet (?) is like they had to put it there to anchor it in the magnesium body.. That being said maybe your right because @ 414 gr ( with a smaller batterie) it's very close to my 430gr PEN-F so maybe it's not plasticky after all.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The "new" playback button position means you have to use both hands (or stretch your right thumb in supernatural ways) to see if the settings need adjusting before continuing shooting. That's just awful! Why on earth would you want the playback-button there?
It's already there on E-M10 mkII and E-M5 mkII.
I just hope all these buttons can be customized because there's no "fn" indication on any of them.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Looks like specs are not just "more or less", but completely, out: https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-e-m5-mark-iii-detailed-specifications-leaked
Fine for me on the specs... now I'm just waiting for the manual to be leaked, to get a idea of how deep we can customize it, which is a key point for me.
I hope that Oly didn't listen too much the "menus are too complicated" complaints, because you end up with simpler menus with less customization, like on the E-M10 mkIII.

nomadjohn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John
And USB 2.0. likely means no in-camera charging. Decade old tech at that price is a problem given superior USB-C is widespread.

I would be sorely disappointed if Olympus chooses to not include USB charging on all new camera models. Having said that many cameras using a micro B connector do support USB charging. UBS-C is a connector style, just like A, B, mini B, and micro B. USB 2.0 is version of the USB standard specifying data rate and the like. I don't see how stating that the camera supports only USB 2.0 data transfer actually prevents charging in any way.

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
And USB 2.0. likely means no in-camera charging. Decade old tech at that price is a problem given superior USB-C is widespread.

Well nor the recently released Sony A6600 and Nikon Z50 have USB-C, Canon M6 MarkII have USB 2.0 but Type-C connector.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom