Olympus EM-5 Mark III news and rumors

I'm not saying that E-M5III is a bad camera. It is a good camera. I think any camera that you can buy today, either used or new, is a good and capable camera. But the E-M5III announcement is really boring.

I purchased the first E-M5 on the day it was launched. I skipped E-M5II and waited for the E-M5III to be released, with pretty much the specs announced today. The specs are almost exactly what I wanted in a E-M5III. But I have been waiting for the E-M5III for almost two years.

If the E-M5III was announced about a year and a half ago, I think it would have been great. Announced a year ago, still would have been very good. Announced today with these specs, is really boring. Boring announcement but still a great camera, and I like the improved weather sealing.

Real Name
Loren
I'm not saying that E-M5III is a bad camera. It is a good camera. I think any camera that you can buy today, either used or new, is a good and capable camera. But the E-M5III announcement is really boring.

I purchased the first E-M5 on the day it was launched. I skipped E-M5II and waited for the E-M5III to be released, with pretty much the specs announced today. The specs are almost exactly what I wanted in a E-M5III. But I have been waiting for the E-M5III for almost two years.

If the E-M5III was announced about a year and a half ago, I think it would have been great. Announced a year ago, still would have been very good. Announced today with these specs, is really boring. Boring announcement but still a great camera, and I like the improved weather sealing.
I don’t think Olympus had a lot of the AF and gyroscope technology (and perhaps others) a year and a half ago. If it were released then, you wouldn’t be getting nearly as good a camera. In any case, if you are coming from an E-M5 (which was my first camera) then this camera will be such a massive enhancement that I can’t see how it could be thought of as boring. It will be night-and-day different. Maybe you just aren’t interested in m4/3 anymore?

I don’t think Olympus had a lot of the AF and gyroscope technology (and perhaps others) a year and a half ago. If it were released then, you wouldn’t be getting nearly as good a camera. In any case, if you are coming from an E-M5 (which was my first camera) then this camera will be such a massive enhancement that I can’t see how it could be thought of as boring. It will be night-and-day different. Maybe you just aren’t interested in m4/3 anymore?
Sorry, but I don't think Olympus has greatly improved AF and gyroscope technology in the new E-M5III over the E-M1II. And I also could not wait and purchased a used E-M1 early this year. E-M1 is pretty good for me, except for the low-light performance which the E-M1II sensor is much better. My regret is that I should have not waited for the E-M5III and should have purchased a new E-M1II about a year and a half ago, when the deal was really good.

Before last Christmas I wanted a new EM5 and that was before the X, but when camera store was saying 'olympus has something big on the horizon but aren't saying what'
Speculation was rife.
I got fed up with waiting and bought EM5II and never regretted, especially when the X arrived.
I had opportunity couple weeks ago to get new EM1 2 but hung out.
Thinking should have snapped up a bargain.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Regular
I don’t mean to offend anyone, but I don‘t think that’s anything to complain about. I think a lot of E-M5 owners may not be seeing how much of a difference this will make, and E-M1 owners are still waiting for the next big thing after the overpriced E-M1X. Today’s release really is a fair upgrade from the E-M5 Mkii in IQ, and a huge leap in AF performance, for both stills and video. Of course it isn’t pushing the boundaries of the Olympus system, but that was never going to happen in the mid-tier OM-D. Of course it was never going to have HHHR, because Olympus‘ own words informed us that it technologically couldn’t. All the speculation to the contrary was just wishful thinking.
The E-M5 mark III is a very good update and clearly demonstrates where is Oly heading now in terms of product differentiation:

- smaller EVF with 60 Hz refresh rate
- 6 FPS (mech. shutter) / 10 FPS (e-shutter)
- 30 FPS with locked AF
- ProCapture limited to 14 pre-shutter frames (30 in total)
- shallower buffer
- only one C mode (the second one was sacrificed in favor of SCN/ART mode?)
- usb 2.0 (charging is available though)
- lower battery life

With the limitations above the OM-D 5 mark III doesn't rival to the E-M1 line now. But I can imagine that we will see things such as 10 FPS with mech. shutter in a future FW update once the E-M1 mark III is introduced. For now the OM-D 5 mark III is Jack of all trades / a capable hybrid camera.

Last edited:
Real Name
Loren
Sorry, but I don't think Olympus has greatly improved AF and gyroscope technology in the new E-M5III over the E-M1II. And I also could not wait and purchased a used E-M1 early this year. E-M1 is pretty good for me, except for the low-light performance which the E-M1II sensor is much better. My regret is that I should have not waited for the E-M5III and should have purchased a new E-M1II about a year and a half ago, when the deal was really good.
I still think you are underestimating this release. Even with an E-M1, I think there is enough here to be of considerable interest. However, there was never a chance it would be substantially better than an E-M1 Mkii. The E-M1X, disappointing in several respects, was really where Olympus should have pushed the envelope. There will eventually be an E-M1 Mkiii, which will no doubt have a lot of pressure to deliver (however high/low one’s expectations might be for it), but the E-M5 Mkiii is not that camera.

FrayAdjacent

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
M@
I'm watching some reviews now... while it seems like an improvement over the MkII, and I'll 99% for sure buy one... it really seems like this is a camera that should have come out 1 to 1.5 years ago.

MicroUSB port? Wut? It's 2000 fookin' NINETEEN. USB C all the things already. Nice that it can recharge the battery over the USB port. Video specs seem pretty nice. The AF-C performance in video definitely doesn't approach Sony levels. I've seen some videos about the new firmware on the E-M1 II, and it's nice. Hopefully the 5 MkIII will be even better.

ibd

Mu-43 Veteran
One shot that stood out for me from Robin's review:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
If you hoped AF in the E-M5 III was going to be better than the E-M1 II then you were destined to be disappointed. I'm glad I have enjoyed the E-M1 II from the middle of 2017 (on sale & with a bonus SD card).

ibd

Mu-43 Veteran
80-250?? I was wondering if it could be the non-pro superzoom 100-400, but the initial focal length looks like a two digit number only and the first number of the maximum focal length is a 2...
It's the 300mm PRO lens according to the video.

It stood out to me because it shows that the grip works well.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I'm watching some reviews now... while it seems like an improvement over the MkII, and I'll 99% for sure buy one... it really seems like this is a camera that should have come out 1 to 1.5 years ago.

MicroUSB port? Wut? It's 2000 fookin' NINETEEN. USB C all the things already. Nice that it can recharge the battery over the USB port. Video specs seem pretty nice. The AF-C performance in video definitely doesn't approach Sony levels. I've seen some videos about the new firmware on the E-M1 II, and it's nice. Hopefully the 5 MkIII will be even better.
I dont get why people have so much to complain about, too high expectations? Becuase its stacks up pretty well to the competitors offerings

Sure Sony AF would have been really nice but lets face it no other competitor are at the same level at moment.
USB-C is something that basically is standard today so Olympus should have included that, but cant see the lack of it being a deal breaker either.

Shall we look at the competitors, i mean its 2000 fookin' NINETEEN ;)

Sony A6400, Fuji XT-3, Canon M6 MarkII and Nikon z50 all lack IBIS

Sony A6400 have a 921,600 screen

Sony A6400 and Nikon z50 have a Maximum shutter speed 1/4000 sec

Sony A6400 have a flash sync of 1/160 sec

Sony A6400 have UHS-I

Sony A6400 and Nikon z50 have Micro USB

Canon M6 markII have no weather sealing

FrayAdjacent

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
M@
Well, Pluttis, what do all of those other cameras do a lot better than this new E-M5 MkIII? Probably TONS. In fact, the XT-3 is superior in ALL regards, excepting that it has no IBIS (from what I recall about it - I'm not googling specs to argue this with you). For what it is, the MkIII is an improvement over the MkII, and probably a very very good one at that... but compared to the rest of the field? Yeah, it does a few things better (having IBIS -which some would argue M4:3 needs because of low light performance, and weather sealing), but all the other stuff it does falls short or matches many others.

For me, this update is "passable". I'll get it simply because I still love the size and form factor, I've already got half a dozen lenses, and stills capability will be more than I'll need. The video and AF are "passable". From a couple of the first impressions videos, it doesn't look like the AF tracking is all that great. It's FAR better than the MkII, which frankly sucks ass, so there's that. I hope there will be some firmware improvement in that area.

I'm just overall not super impressed. It IS a step up from the MkII, but this should have come out a year or two ago... so in that regard, it's a bit underwhelming. Mind that we're nearing 5 years since the MkII came out...

MIND THIS IS MY OPINION. And what do they say about opinions? They're like buttholes - we all have them and they all stink.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Tons? Lets not exaggerate things here...wich are all the other stuff it does falls so short of?

Yes the X-T3 is better, but its also overall better/better spec than all the other models i mentioned, its also the biggest of the cameras and costed $1499(body only) when introduced.

Last edited:

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
Like I said this is a great upgrade from the EM5 mk2 and that's all that camera needed to be to be honest, a step up from the previous model. I'm surprise to see how quick people pass on the AF upgrade here. This is the first small m43 camera with phase detect AF. Not a crippled module but the same algorithm you find in the flagship model (em1-x). It's even BETTER than the em1 mk 2 because you have now customs af mode. This is significant because it's the best AF in m43 system ( olympus phase detect AF is clearly superior to panasonic dfd).

Everyone was angry about the em1x not following the "M43 mantra" (small, light and powerful), they give us exactly this here and still people are pissed.. I can't think of one thing I will not be able to shoot with this camera. Also It's not right to compare this new camera price with old, heavily discounted cameras like the fuji xh1. That's not fair.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Here's my thoughts on the E-M5 III:

It's a great camera. If you look at the specs in a vacuum, it's bloody fantastic. However, because the E-M1 II came out 3 years ago and had/has basically the same specs, people are now disappointed because the E-M5 III simply recycled the guts of the E-M1 II in this camera, and there's not a whole lot of "new" stuff in this camera despite coming out 3 years later.

IMO, there's not a whole lot left that Olympus can do. They're always going to be confined by their sensor (it's the biggest advantage, as well as weakness of the system), so they can never compete with FF cameras in terms of ISO performance. IMO, really the only thing that's left for Olympus to do is:
  • Keep working on improving the AF. This not only relates to Eye AF, but also the AI modes for better subject recognition & tracking
  • Continue to work with computational photography to offer similar results to larger sensor cameras. This could in-camera multi-shot stacking to reduce noise, in-camera fake bokeh to simulate more shallow DoF, etc. The problem is that I doubt Olympus has the resources and expertise in this area like Google and Apple do when it comes to implementing that technology in their cell phones.
The E-M5 III is and will be a great camera. People are simply jumping on it because it is so similar to the 3 year-old E-M1 II, and people were hoping to see a bit more progress in that timeframe is all. If you're coming from an E-M5 II, this is a big upgrade. If you're coming from an E-M1 II, not so much.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom