Olympus EM-5 Mark III news and rumors

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
could this be a sign of no more future for the E-M10 ?
I can't see anything at all to give that impression.

It's still very, very important for Olympus to sell $600-800 cameras. Especially in Japan.

$1200 body only is far too expensive to have as the first "serious" camera in their line-up.

Witness Nikon's introduction of the utterly anonymous Z50 (a camera that couldn't differentiate itself from any mirrorless camera announced in the last 5 years), all just to hit the $800-900 price point with a "new" camera for their new Z mount.

John DiLeonardo

Mu-43 Regular
I’ve got to be honest, I have hands the size of bear paws. The EM5-II works for me with a grip but I much prefer the ergonomics of my old EM-1 MKI. I’ll give it a spin but I think there’s an EM1 MKII in my near future.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Honestly, it's pretty clear it was just a pragmatic decision. The BLS-50 battery is more modern than the BLN-1, and the newest BLH-1 battery from the E-M1 II is clearly physically too large to fit into any compact for factors.
Wouldn't surprise me, but what makes the BLS-50 more modern? I would have argued they should have made everything with the BLN-1 instead :) If the answer is to make smaller devices... I'm going with a hard disagree with that decision, heh.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Wouldn't surprise me, but what makes the BLS-50 more modern? I would have argued they should have made everything with the BLN-1 instead :) If the answer is to make smaller devices... I'm going with a hard disagree with that decision, heh.
I really don’t know if the BLS-50 is more modern, but anecdotally, my E-M10 II seems to get more life from its BLS-50 than my Pen F gets from its BLN-1. I pretty much use them interchangeably, so shooting is similar.
I don’t anticipate the battery life to be an issue, at all.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I really don’t know if the BLS-50 is more modern, but anecdotally, my E-M10 II seems to get more life from its BLS-50 than my Pen F gets from its BLN-1. I pretty much use them interchangeably, so shooting is similar.
I don’t anticipate the battery life to be an issue, at all.
The BLS-50 replaced the BLS-5, but whether there was any design change I don't know.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
It's worth noting that the true watt-hour capacity of the BLS-50 is only 9.5% less than the older, larger BLN-1 in the E-M5 II.

Definitely not worth losing any sleep over. Probably not worth even mentioning in the first place.
CIPA rating is down 50 pictures so that's completely the WRONG direction. Isn't tech supposed to evolve and not step backwards? :hmmm:

Anyway... Lots of disappointments (swivel screen with no X-T3 design, smaller battery, playback-button in a really awkward position, no ProCapture, USB2.0 only etc.). But despite those (and especially the swivel screen which makes me already wanna smash the camera with a sledgehammer) I can't wait to get my hands on the camera. I will preorder one as soon as the stores have it in their websites. The screen though means I will have to buy an E-M10 as my macro / 2nd camera (instead of getting 2 E-M5s like I now do). At least they will share the same battery so once I've gotten rid of my E-M5s I will only have one type of batteries.

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
CIPA rating is down 50 pictures
I see on the olympus site that the CIPA rating for the Mk2 was 310, and the spec on the rumor site has the mark3 as 310 as well. And 750 shots with quick sleep on, which, I don't think I ever saw 750, but with quick sleep it could definitely go over 450.

I think it's going to be a nice upgrade from the E-M5.2, despite the screen but I don't believe we've seen all the specs yet. Come to think of it.. does it have hires mode?

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
CIPA rating is down 50 pictures so that's completely the WRONG direction. Isn't tech supposed to evolve and not step backwards? :hmmm:

Anyway... Lots of disappointments (swivel screen with no X-T3 design, smaller battery, playback-button in a really awkward position, no ProCapture, USB2.0 only etc.). But despite those (and especially the swivel screen which makes me already wanna smash the camera with a sledgehammer) I can't wait to get my hands on the camera. I will preorder one as soon as the stores have it in their websites. The screen though means I will have to buy an E-M10 as my macro / 2nd camera (instead of getting 2 E-M5s like I now do). At least they will share the same battery so once I've gotten rid of my E-M5s I will only have one type of batteries.
The layout of the buttons are similar to the E-M1 II. People have asked for a lighter weight E-M1 II while some wish for a lighter weight E-M1X at a 1/4 of the price too, but now it is a 'lighter weight' version of the E-M1 II there are complaints. It's a bit hard to please everybody.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I see on the olympus site that the CIPA rating for the Mk2 was 310, and the spec on the rumor site has the mark3 as 310 as well. And 750 shots with quick sleep on, which, I don't think I ever saw 750, but with quick sleep it could definitely go over 450.

I think it's going to be a nice upgrade from the E-M5.2, despite the screen but I don't believe we've seen all the specs yet. Come to think of it.. does it have hires mode?
It has HiRes, but don't know if it is actually HHHR though.
"Miscellaneous: artistic filters, HDR, timelapse, B-exposure with continuous visualization, Raw editing, focus peaking, Live Composite, focus stacking, high resolution "

Why?????
There still needs to be an entry level model (with an EVF) & why the E-M10 III was inroduced.
I see this segment diminishing that much as to make setting up & keeping a production line for it too costly vs making something else with the production resources - unless it shares plenty many parts with the E-PL10 but at least over here, as a major photographic store informed me, practically nobody is interested in the PENs any more, they just buy flagship phones

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It has HiRes, but don't know if it is actually HHHR though.
"Miscellaneous: artistic filters, HDR, timelapse, B-exposure with continuous visualization, Raw editing, focus peaking, Live Composite, focus stacking, high resolution "
The “focus stacking” was previously only available in the E-M1 II/X as well. HHHR may be a bit of a stretch for a single processor though.

Last edited:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
The BLS-50 replaced the BLS-5, but whether there was any design change I don't know.
The BLS-50 has a higher capacity than the BLS-5, but it can use the same charger.

Between the original BLS-1 and the BLS-5, there was a design change to add another contact and to allow the charger to shutdoff (instead of trickle charging when the battery was full). The BCS-5 charger also replaced the BCS-1 charger.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
It's just a newer chemistry, so they are able to pack slightly more energy density into the same physical space.

Someone can correct me on the timeline if I get it wrong, but the BLN-1 dates back at least to the E-M5 (2012), whereas the BLS-5 was in the E-M10 (2014), and the BLS-50 that we are discussing was the updated replacement for the BLS-5 that arrived in the E-M10 II (2015).

Granted, the BLS-50 only has 2.2% more energy than the BLS-5, and still has 9.5% less than the older, bigger BLN-1, but I imagine that part of the standardization process is settling on using the same battery chemistry across the board. My guess is that the BLH-1 in the E-M1 II is more likely to be built around the newer cells of the BLS-50, just based on when they were released.

For what it's worth, I could be wrong about all of this, I'm just making some assumptions and trying to think like a product designer, since it's what I do. I work for a small enough outfit that I also need to think about supply chain management when making development decisions.

Last edited:

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm convinced that the 12-100 is one of two system-buying lenses in m43, the other being the 9-18 (there is no UWA anywhere else anywhere vaguely as small as the 9-18 is when collapsed)
For me it's the Laowa 7.5 and the Panny 12-32 :)
I loved my 9-18 but don't use it anymore.
The 12-100 is excellent but clearly not for me (I prefer to use small and light lenses... with compact bodies...)

mawz

Mu-43 Regular
The BLS-50 actually arrived with the E-PL7 some 6 months after the E-M10 in mid-2014

mawz

Mu-43 Regular
For me it's the Laowa 7.5 and the Panny 12-32 :)
I loved my 9-18 but don't use it anymore.
The 12-100 is excellent but clearly not for me (I prefer to use small and light lenses... with compact bodies...)
I don't consider the Laowa a system-buyer since they make a direct equivalent in several APS-C mounts (their 9mm)

The 12-32's a very good lens, but again, not appreciably different from Sony's 16-50 pancake, everybody in APS-C mirrorless has a compact 24-xx equivalent zoom. Sure the 12-32 is the smallest of the lot, but it's a matter of degree. A GX85 or E-PL9 and those lenses can be pretty much directly matched by a Canon, Sony or Fuji system.

the 9-18 is unmatched in terms of a reasonable quality UWA at its weight and collapsed size. I literally bought back into m43 just for that lens, no other system had a real equivalent at that size/mass budget. the downsides are the lack of sealing and the fact it's not that wide by modern standards.

The 12-100 while large in and of itself, is extremely small when you consider the comparable kit (fixed aperture lens with maximal optical quality covering 24 through 200mm equivalence) in any other system. First off that would be a 2 lens kit the moment you look at fixed aperture instead of variable, secondly your typical 70-200/4 or equivalent would likely weigh as much as the 12-100, which weights only around 100g more than Nikon's 16-80E (a 24-120 equivalent). it's a specialty lens, but if you need what it's selling, there's nothing else like it. it also costs on par with a good 70-200/4, so there's some budget relief there too.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom