Olympus EM-5 Mark III news and rumors

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
There may be some Trump tariff on it, as my source says that an estimated 30% of the raw components are sourced from China. That tariff will most likely be built into the price.
I don't want to get political here but I don't think he is helping US citizens here. All new cameras may suffer similar tariffs, so there might be less camera sales overall.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Olympus sold their factory in China and moved production to Vietnam. Last year.
http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1133758.shtml
True, but I have been told that since a percentage of the raw components in the E-M5 III are sourced from China, some amount of tariff will be added. I am not versed in these matters so maybe someone else can confirm this... or set me straight.

FrayAdjacent

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
M@
I'm starting to get excited! Only a week until the announcement. I'm seeing a few things I like as far as the body goes. (separate doors covering the various ports is good, I don't like have a big long door/cover hanging there when I plug a mic into my 5mkII)

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm starting to think that I would be very surprised if this camera's AF is not nerfed vs the E-M1 Mark II. To put all those features in would set the bar impossibly high for the next gen E-M1. I don't think they can maintain burst speeds with higher MP, so there's no ground to be gained on that front. What else is left? Pro Capture?

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
What I don't like is the C button... which means it probably won't be possible to affect user modes to all the other useless mode dial settings (p, auto, scn, art, video). (useless for me)
You will have to choose between all the custom modes by using buttons after choosing the right dial setting... I hate it this way of working.

An advanced camera as the E-M5 mkII should have at least 3 directly accessible C modes...
When choose Olympus a few years ago because of the possibilities of customization possibilities which were very good... the customization of the mode dial was really something I loved.

For me it's a decision to force to upgrade, like: "if you want more directly accessible custom mode then by an E-M1"... which is really stupid because I won't buy an E-M1 as I want a compact body.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
From the expanded details image it looks like the rear screen is articulating rather than tilting.
View attachment 779385
To put it mildly: I F*NG HATE the screen already! I guess I'll just have to one buy an E-M10 then for shooting pets and macro... FFS

(<HINT> Hey Olympus! LOOK AT THE FUJI X-T3!!! </HINT>)

Last edited:

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
We are all diffrent, i personally prefer articulating screen to titling...guess it depends on how and to what you use the screen for.

Real Name
Richard
Much preferred the tilting screen on my EM1MK1........some of the time.

The articulatling screen on my MK2 is fine, for landscape, right up until I want to mount the camera on an L-bracket and then it's just in the way and I can't fully fold it out to set the orientation. It just sticks out at an odd angle.

However, it's better for portrait on the L-bracket, especially when my camera is at low level (at eye level there is no need to fold it out), the odd angle now being rather useful because I can actually see the screen. They can't win really :)

I've considered treating myself to a Smallrig cage with a monitor mounted on top - but it's not really necessary - just an extension of my GAS.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
Well according to 43rumors, Amazon UK temporarily had an order page online and it listed some specs. The one spec that I cared about is it now has an OLED viewfinder. Yeah! :)

This has always been my hot-button issue. I need to wear polarized sunglasses when I'm outdoors in daylight (due to migraines), and the TFT viewfinders used in the E-m5 mark I/II, E-m1 mark I/II, and E-m1x were problematical. On all of them except for the E-m5 mark II, about 1/2 of the image would be distorted when I shot in landscape orientation. I could usually frame the shot and let the camera auto focus do its job, but it was annoying. The E-m5 mark II on the other hand was completely opaque in landscape orientation.

So three years ago I bought a G85 because it had the OLED viewfinder. But I find since I've used Olympus since 2002, I really don't like some of the choices Panasonic made. I find highlights in white areas more often burned out on the G85, and the JPG noise processing tends to be a lot worse than Olympus at higher ISOs. Last year, I bought an E-m10 mark II (which has an OLED viewfinder) to use in sunny weather, but rain does happen.

If this is true, I suspect the new E-m5 mark III might be my new camera of choice.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Guys, I just unwatched the thread on EM10 Mark III, as the new model is not a compelling reason to upgrade for me. My attention now is moving on to the EM5 Mark III, where I personally expect Olympus to use the 20mpix sensor.

If I'm not wrong, the EM5 mark II is sligthly "older" than the EM10 mark II (6 months), so an update should be due soon. Even considering a slightly longer lifecycle for a more "serious" model, I don't think the announcement can be beyond February 2018.

So, any news in any rumors site we should be aware of?
Hey, you were only 20 months off! :roflmao:

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
Looks a little like the rear dial also has a button on top, though I suppose it might be a weight reduction measure.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
Globally the photos seems fine, except for the only one C mode.
Lots of buttons (customizable I hope), the 1-2 lever, mode dial with a button on it to hold the position, etc..

The only odd thing is the position of the left lug.

I've been waiting for this for a long time, I also looked at the competition and that's really the type of camera I wanted... seems like an easy buy for me, whatever the price.

I would have prefered a tilting screen but I've given up on this with Oly...

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
Looks MUCH better in black. The plastic top, in silver, is a big no-no IMO. Still don't like the horizontal lines on the top cover though. The 1-2 lever can become a nice ON-OFF switch and that's great but I don't know why olympus insist with the Playback button on the bottom right. It's hard to reach especially on smaller bodies. I would put it next to the Menu" button in place of the Info funtion so you can easily use it while using the viewfinder (very important for action shoot/quick chimping).
That being said, the most important thing is that this camera will bring PDAF ( if true) in the smaller form factor cameras in m43, and that's big. Oly should have done that with the PEN-F years ago, even without wheather sealing. A new line of small Wheather sealed Prime Lenses would be perfect...

Finally, photorumors.com published the additional product photos of the camera.
So far the OM-D 5 mark III looks like a dream camera I always wanted the second iteration to be - and it was not. It is a massive evolution of the original mark I. Now I am lost for the E-M1 line (the mark I actually). But... never say never.
It looks nice for me to upgrade from my very modest E-M10ii based lens arsenal, in a few months if and only if the brand new model price lands at 1K euros maximum. If I have to source many more bucks then I loose much interest in it since I should also invest to better weather sealed glass as well to take advantage of the higher performance so the total investment is just too much for me to start the endeavor with this new body.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
The plastic top, in silver, is a big no-no IMO.
I'd still buy, unfortunately. I just really like the two tone look, heh.

Also, this grip looks way less prominent than originally though, lol. If it's big enough of a jump... I may succumb and sell the PEN-F to complete the E-M5 lineup. Though, dammit.. keep forgetting the battery change :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom