Olympus EM-5 Mark III news and rumors

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Does that mean about $1500 usd? Dissapointing...
Probably the same number in USD. That's the typical number. They'll suck some money out of the early adopters and then drop it. Maybe Black Friday?
Edit: Kit price with 14-150. The US is supposed to get the body only option. That should knock off a few hundred bucks at least.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
Am I the only one still peeved that the power switch is on the left? I like to turn it on and raise the camera with the same hand. This is the first photo I've see with an angle on the grip. Looks like enough get your fingers in at a slant so you don't need a grip like on the pen-f. That's something...

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Does that mean about $1500 usd? Dissapointing...
When kitted with a 14-150mm II that sells separately for $600, that's not a terrible deal.

Leads me to believe that they'll be selling it for $1199 body only.

Lower would have been better, but it's much nicer than paying the $1499 that the E-M1 II still goes for even when it's on sale.

Neil Harris

Mu-43 Regular
Well, our British friends can preorder it:
https://www.43rumors.com/leaked-you-can-already-preorder-the-new-olympus-e-m5iii-at-amazon-uk/
1355 pounds. I was hoping it would be lighter.
From the expanded details image it looks like the rear screen is articulating rather than tilting.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Am I the only one still peeved that the power switch is on the left? I like to turn it on and raise the camera with the same hand. This is the first photo I've see with an angle on the grip. Looks like enough get your fingers in at a slant so you don't need a grip like on the pen-f. That's something...
That was a DUMB decision by someone at Olympus to do a retro copy of the power switch of the OM1.
The left deck was and still is a dumb place to put the power switch, as it requires an extra deliberate movement of the hand to power on/off. Because your left and right hands are not anywhere near the power switch, as you hold the camera.
Putting the power switch coaxial with the shutter, as on the Nikon and Canon dSLRs, makes a LOT more egronomic sense.
As a result, I tend to leave the Olympus powered on during an event/shoot, rather than power down within an event/shoot, as I do with my Nikon.

The only worse place for the power switch is as on the Minolta SRT-101.
A thumb dial on the bottom of the camera, that you had to push with your thumb and turn.
That was another "turn on, and leave on," meter.

Neil Harris

Mu-43 Regular
The port covers on the right-side suggest (top to bottom): microphone, USB-C (not certain about this one), and HDMI.
71kmVp8g3RL._SL1500_.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
That was a DUMB decision by someone at Olympus to do a retro copy of the power switch of the OM1.
The left deck was and still is a dumb place to put the power switch, as it requires an extra deliberate movement of the hand to power on/off. Because your left and right hands are not anywhere near the power switch, as you hold the camera.
Putting the power switch coaxial with the shutter, as on the Nikon and Canon dSLRs, makes a LOT more egronomic sense.
As a result, I tend to leave the Olympus powered on during an event/shoot, rather than power down within an event/shoot, as I do with my Nikon.

The only worse place for the power switch is as on the Minolta SRT-101.
A thumb dial on the bottom of the camera, that you had to push with your thumb and turn.
That was another "turn on, and leave on," meter.
The em-5 mark 1 is also rather bad, being in the bottom right corner. The frustrating part is that it looks like there's a cut out right under the shutter button where the power switch should be.

The port covers on the right-side suggest (top to bottom): microphone, USB-C (not certain about this one), and HDMI.
View attachment 779387
The bottom flap says usb - hdmi, but I can't make out that second flap. Usb c would be great.

Neil Harris

Mu-43 Regular
The em-5 mark 1 is also rather bad, being in the bottom right corner. The frustrating part is that it looks like there's a cut out right under the shutter button where the power switch should be.

The bottom flap says usb - hdmi, but I can't make out that second flap. Usb c would be great.
Yes, the bottom says USB / HDMI. I was guessing about the 2nd one; the symbol looks like a short rounded rod!

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
I recently bought an EM1X (after it came down considerably in price) and disliked the power button in the collar position on the left top side
I set the two position lever to act as Power Switch which is far better as I can switch on with right hand as I pick up the camera - much better - you will probably be able to do the same thing on the EM5/3

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Priced a bit high but not that bad considering its with a fairly nice kit lens plus we dont know the actual spec yet.

Is there any direct comparable APS-C camera with IBIS, same build quality and spec with similar kit lens that is priced much lower?

Sony A6600 with kit lens 18-135 is around 1800 usd.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom