Olympus EM-5 Mark III news and rumors

JonSnih

Mu-43 Regular
I think we all can agree on that the E-M5III is way overdue already...
It seems that Oly really wants to extend a life-cycle of more serious products to 4 years. The key factor was that majority of users doesnt upgrade so often. I find it sensible. We can expect more substantial upgrades in future releases. So the E-M5.3 will be out this year and the E-M1.3 in late 2020. It sounds good.

Real Name
M@
It seems that Oly really wants to extend a life-cycle of more serious products to 4 years. The key factor was that majority of users doesnt upgrade so often. I find it sensible. We can expect more substantial upgrades in future releases. So the E-M5.3 will be out this year and the E-M1.3 in late 2020. It sounds good.
True, if the 5 Mk III does what I really want it to do, I could see using it actively for 3-4 years. Whatever comes next would have to do something very compelling to make me want to "upgrade". If I weren't into video shooting, I don't think I'd have all that much interest in the MkIII right away.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Olympus could have an extended life cycle and also grab the hearts and minds of new customers if they would actively market, deliver, a become noted as the camera company that provides a continuing stream of new features via firmware upgrades. Plan those upgrades to be about every 6-9 months throughout the 4 year life cycles.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
True, if the 5 Mk III does what I really want it to do, I could see using it actively for 3-4 years. Whatever comes next would have to do something very compelling to make me want to "upgrade". If I weren't into video shooting, I don't think I'd have all that much interest in the MkIII right away.
I've been using E-M5 as my main camera for 8,5 years now. I'm still waiting for a proper upgrade for it... Which means I could easily wait 4 years for the mk4. :p

Real Name
M@
I've been using E-M5 as my main camera for 8,5 years now. I'm still waiting for a proper upgrade for it... Which means I could easily wait 4 years for the mk4. :p
If I hadn't gotten into shooting video, my EM-5 was still a great shooter! I gave it to a friend. I'd stick with the EM-5 MkII if it were just for stills... I'm hoping Olympus says "Panasonic shouldn't have a monopoly on good video/still hybrid cameras with the GH5... let's make the EM-5 MkIII BETTER!"

hoodlum

Mu-43 Veteran
If I hadn't gotten into shooting video, my EM-5 was still a great shooter! I gave it to a friend. I'd stick with the EM-5 MkII if it were just for stills... I'm hoping Olympus says "Panasonic shouldn't have a monopoly on good video/still hybrid cameras with the GH5... let's make the EM-5 MkIII BETTER!"
I think the emphasis on video with the E-M10iii shows us that Olympus is serious about video now. I would expect something even better with the E-M5iii.

The absolutely mega Olympus E-M10 III - Oversampled 4.6K no crop 5 axis IBIS for $500! - EOSHD

The slight GH4-style crop of 2.3x has been with the 16MP sensors for as long as I can remember shooting 4K. Just recently it got a bit worse with the GX9 which has a higher resolution 20MP sensor but still no full-width readout. On that, the crop to 3840 x 2160 is more severe (2.6x). It is a lovely stills camera and I think it shoots very nice looking video for the price, but the E-M10 III has a full-width 4.6K readout in 4K – for less money!!

It is an oversampled 4.6K image, processed in-camera like the GH5 for a very clean and detailed image with no loss of FOV. It also has a very clever solution for Digital IS + Sensor Shift IS. When digital stabilisation is activated, instead of digitally zooming the image coming off the sensor, it switches the sensor back to the standard 2.3x crop mode of 3840 x 2160 from 16MP like the GX85, so the image is just as detailed and sharp with the extra DIS turned on.

This clever crop doesn’t even end there, as there is a dedicated button on top of the camera for 2x your focal length, even in 4K (Total 4x crop vs full frame). This does upscale slightly from about 3K but the image is still nicely detailed with hardly any moire or aliasing. It’s perfect for the wider Super 16mm lenses that vignette on 2x crop Micro Four Thirds.

Besides that, you are turning every prime lens into a zoom in 4K video mode. The Voigtlander 17.5mm F0.95 pictured above, which is 35mm equiv. is great for wide-angle shots on the E-M10 III with no extra crop in 4K. Press the 2x button and it’s now a 70mm equiv. It is like having a 35-70mm F0.95 in 4K! On the GX9 and GX85 you would lose the wide 35mm equiv. field of view. 2.6x compared to 2.3x of the previous GX85, neither are 2.0x Micro 43rds in 4K.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
We probably spend too much time on camera sites, so 3-4 years of reading new camera releases seems like an eternity.

Meantime my E-M5 II files haven't degraded one bit. Why did I even buy it in the first place, if it was so unsatisfactory?

Real Name
M@
Well, getting a new camera, or the latest generation doesn't have to be about some sort of deficiency (real or perceived) in one's current camera, now does it?

As I mentioned, if I hadn't gotten into shooting video, the 5 MkII would remain perfectly fine for me. The video shooting capabilities, while they are 'decent' or 'acceptable' aren't that great, and if they improve in the MkIII, then I'd have a good reason to upgrade.

Sadly if they don't improve, I may end up looking at jumping ship... maybe Fuji APS-C or Sony Full Frame... I'd rather stick with the EM-5 line.

Enrique G

New to Mu-43
So, referring to the original post where the fellow OM-D user said "I don't think the announcement [of E-M5 III] can be beyond February 2018." How about it's February 2019 already?
I love my (mostly) Olympus MFT system but four (4) years and counting is at a minimum complete neglect and disregard for the E-M5 one users.
If I don't see some sort of announcement by mid-March I am ditching MFT and going for an A7 III with the 24-70 (or 24-105) f/4 and the 20mm f/2.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
So, referring to the original post where the fellow OM-D user said "I don't think the announcement [of E-M5 III] can be beyond February 2018." How about it's February 2019 already?
I love my (mostly) Olympus MFT system but four (4) years and counting is at a minimum complete neglect and disregard for the E-M5 one users.
If I don't see some sort of announcement by mid-March I am ditching MFT and going for an A7 III with the 24-70 (or 24-105) f/4 and the 20mm f/2.
What exactly are you looking for from the E-M5III? I would argue it sounds like it might not meet your needs anyway, unfortunately. If bulk isn't a strong factor, run with the A7 if you find a good deal on it, don't wait for announcements.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Out of curiosity, what is it that you are hoping to get from the E-M5 III that you can't get from an E-M1 II? It's obviously not the form factor, because the A7 III and 24-105mm is a much bigger kit than what you would currently be using.

stevedo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
Beyond overdue. They are losing customers as we write. I will be the next one if I don't hear about an E-M5 Mark III by mid-March. Simple as that.
You joined the forum today just to let us know that? Looks like you might not be around here for very much longer.

What exactly do you think you'll get from a Mark III, assuming Olympus ever brings one to market.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Out of curiosity, what is it that you are hoping to get from the E-M5 III that you can't get from an E-M1 II? It's obviously not the form factor, because the A7 III and 24-105mm is a much bigger kit than what you would currently be using.
This is a good point, since I pretty much expect the E-M5 III to be an E-M1 II shoved in an E-M5 II's body, with a few minor tweaks here and there.

Like you said, form factor shouldn't be an issue if someone is considering an A7 III

DaveEP

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It seems that Oly really wants to extend a life-cycle of more serious products to 4 years. The key factor was that majority of users doesnt upgrade so often.
I have yet to wear out a camera, EVER. I've always updated due to gear lust that has thankfully completely subsided now.

While the newer bodies have a couple of nice extra features here and there, no individual feature or indeed collection of features are sufficiently compelling for me to discard what I have and buy new.

Digital camera technology is now relatively mature and it's going to take my existing body breaking before I'm likely to muster enough enthusiasm to walk in to a store and buy a new one. I'm just talking photos instead of lusting after more gear.

THIS is why camera makers are in, or are going to be in such trouble and they need to slow the cycle down and make the incremental features more compelling.

Real Name
Loren
I hope that’s all it is. I think a lot of people would accept a slower release cycle. It’s the lack of information causing uncertainty in the future of the system that is causing people to start looking elsewhere.

Enrique G

New to Mu-43
In essence:
I joined today because I wanted to share and agree to others concern about the E-M5 line. I actually replied the welcome email stating that to the site owner. I did come by here before and this site helped me decide into MFT.
I don't expect an E-M1 II in an E-M5 III body, however I want to see evolutionary improvements to what we currently have.
I'm not comfortable with what seems to be a 4 1/2 year cycle now for the E-M5 line, as simple as that. Is there anything wrong with wanting better resolution, lower noise or better dynamic range, however small these may be? If so, what are camera manufacturers going to sell, repair and cleaning service?
I have nothing but praise for everything Olympus except for the (until today at least) abandonment of the E-M5 line.
4 1/2 years is too much.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom