Olympus EM-5 Mark III news and rumors

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Guys, I just unwatched the thread on EM10 Mark III, as the new model is not a compelling reason to upgrade for me. My attention now is moving on to the EM5 Mark III, where I personally expect Olympus to use the 20mpix sensor.

If I'm not wrong, the EM5 mark II is sligthly "older" than the EM10 mark II (6 months), so an update should be due soon. Even considering a slightly longer lifecycle for a more "serious" model, I don't think the announcement can be beyond February 2018.

So, any news in any rumors site we should be aware of?

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I say this as an E-M5 and now recent E-M1II owner: What is that 4mp going to do?
We have a long discussion on that in the EM10-iii thread. In a nutshell, it would give you the best m43 sensor available, the one used by Pana and Olympus on top-of-the-range models. I'm not saying I cannot live or shoot with my 16mp (I love it, actually) I'm just saying that from a product improvement standpoint that's the thing that would make me wish to upgrade.

I think phase detect AF will stay on the EM1 for one more generation, and that's the other big improvement area I can see that would make me wish for an upgrade.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Instead of lusting for a sensor, why don't you get yourself a nice 25mm f/0.95 Voightlander, stop it down to f/2.0 and bathe in the image quality that you don't get from a tiny gain in resolution? Or an Olympus 40-150. There's a lot more you can get from the lenses than the sensor.

Really? PDAF? When I shot with a D200 we used to walk uphill in lava, both ways, while on fire when everything was a gray contrastless fog bank of "flip that switch to manual focus and call it a day through your pentaprism." CDAF on modern M4/3 bodies beats what I used to experience by far. Only reason I have E-M1II right now is I want to drive EF mount lenses on a Speedbooster because I started getting tired of magnifying and focusing on things and felt like I saved up long enough for a refurbed one. And yes, "focus peaking" wasn't a thing for me either.

No seriously, if anyone wants to play "but 4MP more means I have more resolution!" then I'll be happy to blow up images taken with the combo shown to 150-200% when they're playing with 14-42.

I already wrote something about lusting for the E-M1's OSPDAF sensor in another thread (E-M5III speculation). I don't suppose you care about OSPDAF more than you do for sensor performance, do you? Or do you want 20mp more? How about better performance at ISO 6400? Lots of tradeoffs and things to balance for here and often I can't get anyone to give me a real answer as to exactly /what/ they want from the sensor aside from the marketing hype machine stuff.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
E-M5II is already fairly feature rich. The sensor does need better low light performance.
For some shots the sensor will always benefit from better low light performance. Just having ample reserve for your usage doesn't mean it's sufficient for someone else. I guess a similar situation probably applies to MP, 16MP being plenty for most of my shots but there are occasions where 2000MP could be useful if my lenses were up to it :)

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Regarding rumors of the E-M5 III, there have been none. The camera is historically released in February, so I would expect the Mk. III to be available Feb. 2018, and we'll start hearing rumors and leaks towards the end of the year.

Regarding the sensor, I would be surprised if it didn't have a 20MP sensor, probably the same one out of the Pen-F. It'll do 4K just like all the new Olympus cameras, but it'll lack the PDAF pixels that the E-M1 II has. The M5 II launched at $1,100, but the new sensor in the M5 III will drive that price up a bit. I'm guess it'll launch at either $1,200 or $1,300, positioning itself squarely between the M10 III and M1 II.

To be perfectly honest though, I'm not really sure how much can actually be "upgraded" with the M5 III. I mean sure, it'll have 4K and the new sensor, but the new sensor doesn't bring ground-breaking performance. High ISO will continue to be somewhat of an issue, and that's just something we have to live with given the sensor size coupled with people's insatiable lust for MOAR MEGAPICKLES PLZZZZ. As MP count goes up, so too does pixel density, and high ISO suffers (or at least it doesn't improve).

Seriously, outside of 4K and the marginal improvements gained with the 20MP sensor, what "improvements" are going to be made with the M5 III? I struggle to really think of any, because the camera is already so packed full of features. We saw this with the E-M10 III announcement, where there wasn't really anything "new" added other than 4K video.

Just like how back in the film days there wasn't a huge drive to upgrade the body with each new release, I'm wondering if we're not running in to that now with Olympus, where the current bodies are so good that many people will not have the desire to upgrade when the latest model is released. I know that as an owner of the latest & greatest E-M1 II, my E-M5 II is still a joy to use, and I don't have any real desire to get ride of it and get something "better'.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I say this as an E-M5 and now recent E-M1II owner: What is that 4mp going to do?
Not much, but that's the sensor it's going to get. I don't get the impression the OP was expressing lust as much as stating his belief about the 20 MP sensor as a starting point for discussing the EM5III. If someone has an EM5II, then it's an interesting question as to what new features would make the mark III worth an upgrade. For me, I find the CDAF of the EM5 II fast enough and didn't see much difference sensor-wise when I tried the Pen F. Just to note, I'm pretty happy with the light 1.7-1.8 primes for the shooting I do now. I'm not sure I want some of the heavier fast zooms and primes that are coming out now. I am curious about some of these MF lenses, however, although it's been a while since I did MF. I would be tempted by some WR versions to go with my WR camera body.

Last edited:

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Regarding rumors of the E-M5 III, there have been none. The camera is historically released in February, so I would expect the Mk. III to be available Feb. 2018, and we'll start hearing rumors and leaks towards the end of the year.

Regarding the sensor, I would be surprised if it didn't have a 20MP sensor, probably the same one out of the Pen-F. It'll do 4K just like all the new Olympus cameras, but it'll lack the PDAF pixels that the E-M1 II has. The M5 II launched at $1,100, but the new sensor in the M5 III will drive that price up a bit. I'm guess it'll launch at either $1,200 or $1,300, positioning itself squarely between the M10 III and M1 II.

To be perfectly honest though, I'm not really sure how much can actually be "upgraded" with the M5 III. I mean sure, it'll have 4K and the new sensor, but the new sensor doesn't bring ground-breaking performance. High ISO will continue to be somewhat of an issue, and that's just something we have to live with given the sensor size coupled with people's insatiable lust for MOAR MEGAPICKLES PLZZZZ. As MP count goes up, so too does pixel density, and high ISO suffers (or at least it doesn't improve).

Seriously, outside of 4K and the marginal improvements gained with the 20MP sensor, what "improvements" are going to be made with the M5 III? I struggle to really think of any, because the camera is already so packed full of features. We saw this with the E-M10 III announcement, where there wasn't really anything "new" added other than 4K video.

Just like how back in the film days there wasn't a huge drive to upgrade the body with each new release, I'm wondering if we're not running in to that now with Olympus, where the current bodies are so good that many people will not have the desire to upgrade when the latest model is released. I know that as an owner of the latest & greatest E-M1 II, my E-M5 II is still a joy to use, and I don't have any real desire to get ride of it and get something "better'.
They'll get hammered if it is not pre-Christmas 2017. It is a non-compete model right now.

PDAF is a tough call. If they up the price point, they need it. If competing Sony and Fuji and Canon models have it, they will need it too.

The Law of Diminishing Returns is definitely kicking in with the camera industry.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
They'll get hammered if it is not pre-Christmas 2017. It is a non-compete model right now.

PDAF is a tough call. If they up the price point, they need it. If competing Sony and Fuji and Canon models have it, they will need it too.
How many people are buying $1,300 cameras as Christmas presents? Honestly, how many? I could see where your $500-600 DSLR's you get at Walmart or Costco could be a gift, but $1,300 is one hell of a stretch. My best guess is that cameras that expensive aren't being given as a gift unless a.) your gift giver is extremely wealthy, and b.) you've explicitly said you want that camera model. We're not privy to the marketing and demographic data Olympus has, but my bet would be that users who are going to spend $1,300 on a camera will do so regardless of the month it is launch in, so long as it has the features they're looking for.

Regarding PDAF, they don't "need" it. While true that other competitors have it (X-T20, a6300), the "next tier up" models still have advantages over those models. That's not really the case with Olympus cameras. Keeping PDAF out of the E-M5 III could be one way that Olympus maintains differentiation from the E-M1 II, because honestly, if the E-M5 II gets the E-M1's sensor and focusing system, why would people pay more for the E-M1 II? Instead, Olympus would have a tiered product model that would look like this:
  • Entry Level: 16MP sensor (E-M10 III, E-PL8)
  • Mid Level: 20MP sensor, no PDAF (E-M5 III, Pen-F)
  • Top Level: 20MP sensor w/ PDAF (E-M1 II)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom