1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus EM-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by microfourthirdsnut, Mar 11, 2014.

1. microfourthirdsnut

microfourthirdsnut Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2012
    I sold my GX7 wonderful camera to get the EM-1 but there seams to be a lot of threads talking about this and that not working on the EM-1 How many of you have had trouble and would you buy it again. I know I should not worry my old EM-5 was a gem when I had it and there should be no reason to think that I will get a bad EM1..
    Just need some encouraging words to help me pull the trigger on the EM-1..

Cheers

2. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Not having any issues with mine...I'm coming from an EPM2 and E-5. It's a fabulous camera, especially when paired with some of the higher end m4/3 lenses.

3. Petrus61

Petrus61 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    London
    I had an EM5 - moved to EM1 and had no problems at all - really like it - 75mm a gem, 42.5m arrived a couple of weeks ago - go for it....

4. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    went from EM5 to EM1 and no regrets!

5. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I didn't plan to get one esp after getting gx7, but I didn't want to miss the refurb deal at Olympus. So far I have no problems in 1.5 weeks and af works w/ Oly 50-200 (non SWD) w/ 2x TC & Bigma lenses, so I might get more bird photos:) I had all Olympus E-P1,2,3, EPL5, EM5, then gx7,gm1... It is big w/ smaller lenses but the grip works w/ bigger lenses. I used a third party grip w/ em5 also.

6. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I love them both but when in a hurry and really don't want to miss a shot,the EM-1 is better. It just handles faster. EVF much bigger and better. Conducive to quick shots in the sun.. GX-7 lets light in at top.. Center focus migrates around on the screen a lot more. Easier to correct this fast on EM1. Quickly get to super screen and check and change settings fast.To me it is just more intuitive. A real pixel grabber in that if you put your subject in the focus box it ignores background lines. See picture. Good-12.

• Like Like x 3
  7. it'sAlvin

it'sAlvin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2014
    Bay Area CA
    Alvin
    So far so good with mine!

8. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    Good here too!

9. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    1st one had a faulty power switch
    2nd one had the back dial skipping issue and shutter shock
    3rd one had shutter shock

Sorry to interrupt the parade of praise. Wish I could have found one that worked properly. In every other way the E-M1 is a phenomenal camera.

10. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    can report the same thing... love it more than my E-M5 especially its customizability. Even thus I use the new 12-40 and 35-100 f/2.8 a lot now. No problems to report yet. Will be put through its paces once I'm back in KLL

11. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    people tend to report and dwell on the negative - it's kind of natural
    I bought the E-M1 and have had one issue - the skipping rear dial - it does not disable the camera - there are many ways to work around it. In any case I just sent it it to get fixed and I have every reason to believe Olympus will stand by it's product.

I would buy it again in a second - I am even considering buying a second body for an upcoming trip, if I can't get the first one back in time - I like it that much.

We are living in such a great time photographically, every few months we see improvements in the products. I look forward seeing the OM-D EM-2 when it comes

12. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    No problems with my EM1. Love it.

13. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Mine may have it too. I don't know how to tell. How do you tell if it has "shutter shock"

14. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    the Oly 12-40 had two mounts break out of all the lens out there ! the sky was falling all of a sudden all forum folks were some kinda lens expert or plastics expert etc..
    yet when a true lens guy came on said no worries other cameras have this and again it was 2 lens that were bad
    somehow group mob mentality made them all bad and not safe to buy

I guess shutter shock exists on some cameras and could exist on the E-M1 ? I know I am not perfect get a blurry shot once in a while but only a few seem to be able to create it and a couple of those I wonder if they are creating it by coming up with it once in a while ? flip a coin and guess you will get it correct sometimes does not mean the theory of a certain pattern exists

if shutter shock was a issue with how many are out there we would be seeing a lot more people complaining is the way I look at it :) get a E-M1 and enjoy it

15. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    The ones I tested showed it consistently around 1/200. The range was something like 1/80 to 1/250. 1/320 immediately clears up compared to 1/250 and 1/400 is tack sharp.

Take test shots in portrait and landscape of a static object with a lot of horizontal and vertical detail. A printed grid is a good target. If you're getting significant blurring or even line-doubling at 1/200 compared to 1/400, you might have shutter shock. Use shorter lenses to rule out camera shake as much as possible, i.e. lenses where the 1/focal reciprocal rule for hand-holding should typically allow for shots free of camera shake such as 17mm, 25mm, 45mm, etc.

If you have another camera that doesn't exhibit the issue around 1/200 you can also take comparison shots with that camera just to see how sharp 1/200 should be with proper equipment and your regular hand-holding technique. The difference should be obvious if your E-M1 exhibits the problem.

FYI the reason I even went looking for this is because on my 2nd camera I noticed softness in a lot of shots that I didn't think should have been soft. I thought at first it was motion blur, camera shake, etc., but as I kept seeing it I decided to do some controlled testing and sadly concluded that it was a camera problem. Your thought process might be similar. I wish you the best in your testing.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Galengwath

Galengwath Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2013
    I haven't had any issues with mine, despite several months of heavy usage. None of the lockup or skipping dial problems that some have reported, and certainly no shutter shock. Any camera model will have it's exceptions to the rule, but I think you're going to be quite happy with the E-M1 once you go ahead and get it!

17. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    The wife got EM-1 with 12-40mm today for her birthday. When she compared the size and weigh to her 5D3 with 24-105mm, she smiled and asked when I was ordering a set for myself. Happy wife = happy life. :big grin:

MFT here we come......:eek:

• Like Like x 3
  18. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Can you adopt me please? I like the presents in your house!!!!

19. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Sorry, we are too old to adopt. :wink:

Since the wife twisted my arm, I did order my own set today.

We now have a ton of Canon equipment to clean, inventory, and get sold!

• Like Like x 1