Olympus EM-1 Problem with AF

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dennis Mansour, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Dennis Mansour

Dennis Mansour Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    I just purchases this camera and the 12-40 f2.8 lens. I had the AF working but now I have MF on the LCD screen and can't change it to AF S I read about pressing the AF button on the top left of the camera and move the rear dial . It does not change it. Can you suggest anything?
    Thank you, NEWBEE with OLY
  2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Do you have the manual/autofocus ring on the 12-40 set to auto (forward)?
  3. Surfing Monkey

Surfing Monkey New to Mu-43

Jun 27, 2015
    On the Lens barrel, you can pull the focus ring back to switch to MF. Just slide it back and your camera will be back to AF.
  4. Dennis Mansour

Dennis Mansour Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    Awesome. It works now. Great Forum. Is there a better way to learn to use this camera? The manual is not that good. I just switched from DSLR to this. I hope I made the right move. I feel I did but reading and reviewing this camera and lenses. I do weddings ( not many anymore) and groups and Portraits.
    Any help on settings etc. is Greatly appreciated. Thank you all
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Biofos.com has a decent setup guide, and a link to a spreadsheet for recording your settings.

There are also a couple books, but none I've seen have very good reviews.

6. Jay Miller

Jay Miller New to Mu-43

Jun 28, 2015
    One good book by Darrell Young, Mastering the OM-D E-M1. Very good book by a man who clearly is an Olympus owner/user. Check reviews. I have 2 books and this one is the keeper.
  7. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    Dennis, don't feel bad. I have done exactly the same thing. It had been a while since I had shot and that darn ring completely left my frontal lobe!