1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus ee1 Dot Sight What's that all about ?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Robstar1963, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    I am intrigued by the Olympus EE1 Dot Sight
    Could someone very kindly explain the purpose and use of the Sight
    Many thanks
    Regards
    Rob

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well, I think Olympus tell you that when they say: "This externally-mounted dot sight is perfect for super-telephoto photography of wild birds. This accessory assists in framing when photographing far-away subjects."

Long lenses have very narrow fields of view and the longer the lens, the narrower the field of view becomes. That means it can be hard to locate a small distant object that you can see with your naked eye when you put the camera to your eye because your field of view suddenly narrows when you look through the lens and if your target isn't in the field of view straight away, it can be hard to locate it because you have little idea of exactly where the camera is pointing relative to the target. Is what you can see in the viewfinder to the left or right, or above or below the subject? You could be looking at a point only a metre or less away from what you're looking for but it's not in the frame and you have no idea of where it is in relation to the frame. Worse, small movements of the lens can mean big shifts in the area in the viewfinder at long distances so it's easy to move over your subject and not notice it.

The dot sight works like looking along a rifle barrel and placing the sight at the end of the barrel over the target. You can see a much larger area than the viewfinder shows and you can also see where your subject is in relation to where the sight is pointed. That makes actually getting the subject into the frame a lot easier and quicker to do.

If you don't use long lenses and have never found yourself hunting for your subject then you really don't need a dot sight.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    ^^ Great explanation - thank you.

4. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    I bought a cheaper version of reddot sight, SpiderFire4, tp use with my Tokina 300 mirror lens. It's actually pretty useful, I havent used the lens that much so the cheap version does it for me, but the EE1 looks cooler..

Including link to a similiar as I bought; 100% New ! 4 Reticle Sight Scope for DSLR Bird Photos

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  5. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Thanks for the replies
    Thought a thread would both address my curiosity and highlight the product to others
    Regards
    Rob