Olympus E5 Framing Problem

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Cameramaven, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Cameramaven

Cameramaven New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2014
    St. Paul MN
    Barbara Dodge
    Don't know what else to call it. I shoot RAW+LF for everything. The file images for each shot used to match. Suddenly, in the middle of a shoot, the RAW files began to be about 30% wider view, similar to Panorama mode, but without cropping top or bottom. I assumed I had inadvertently caused this in the settings and tried for some time to figure out what I had done. Nothing worked. Finally, I reset everything to Default, removing all my settings. I am still getting two different photographs with every shot - one that I see through the lens (jpeg) and the other, a wide-angle I did not intend (RAW). what caused this? Can it be repaired?
    Thank you for reading.

2. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Are you shooting an aspect ratio other than 4:3? Olympus has this quirk where it shows you your chosen aspect ratio on the screen, but the actual RAW file is still the full 4:3. Metadata indicates your desired cropping, so Lightroom (and probably others) will display the RAW file as 3:2 or 16:9. (When you want to change the cropping in Lightroom, you can then “uncrop” it back to the full 4:3 frame.)

When shooting RAW + JPG with 3:2 or 16:9, when the photo is being reviewed (i.e that 1-2 second preview you get as it’s saved to memory) you’ll see an overlay of your aspect ratio over the 4:3 RAW. It’s quite confusing and can give one the impression that something went wrong.

3. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012
    I'd like to echo Ellsass and ask you to check to see what aspect ratios you are shooting at. This is the only thing that I can think of that can cause what you are describing.

4. Cameramaven

Cameramaven New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2014
    St. Paul MN
    Barbara Dodge
    Question answered in record time

I finally broke down and read the manual and I quote:
    "# Cautions
    • JPEG images are cropped to the selected aspect ratio; RAW images, however, are not
    cropped but are instead saved with information on the selected aspect ratio.
    • When RAW images are played back, the selected aspect ratio is shown by a frame.
    Thank you very much for replies. I am going to like this site very much.
    (insert emoticon for feeling stupid?)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cameramaven

Cameramaven New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2014
    St. Paul MN
    Barbara Dodge
    THANK - I finally read the manual after 2+ years. I buy everything at B&H

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cameramaven

Cameramaven New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2014
    St. Paul MN
    Barbara Dodge
    Exactly. Thank you for the reply. I was beginning to suspect that was the case so read manual.
    I'm liking your "quite confusing" note. There are a lot of details to this little sweetie - I have a friend
    who has been a pro photog since he was 16 and he is afraid of his E-5 :smile:

7. Cameramaven

Cameramaven New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2014
    St. Paul MN
    Barbara Dodge
    Actually, it is cropping in the 4:3 setting as well. Full frame is a 'way larger aspect than what is shown in either eyepiece or screen. When I shoot in RAW only and then click to view result it shows me the cropped area on top of the much larger actual capture. Then if I click "edit" it will give a choice to crop to ratio and save RAW file as shot. It will also let me save and print the larger "panoramic" version. It is like a friend now - little quirks you just have to live with. Plus it allows me to re-adjust borders if I slightly miss a shot:smile:

8. Cameramaven

Cameramaven New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2014
    St. Paul MN
    Barbara Dodge
    OK very last post. Still had problem. Combed through all settings one last time. Digital Tele-Converter was ON - even after wiping all settings and going to default. Odd but not fatal. So, now it is off and M-5 is back to normal.