1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus E5 Framing Problem

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Cameramaven, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Cameramaven

Cameramaven New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2014
    St. Paul MN
    Barbara Dodge
    Don't know what else to call it. I shoot RAW+LF for everything. The file images for each shot used to match. Suddenly, in the middle of a shoot, the RAW files began to be about 30% wider view, similar to Panorama mode, but without cropping top or bottom. I assumed I had inadvertently caused this in the settings and tried for some time to figure out what I had done. Nothing worked. Finally, I reset everything to Default, removing all my settings. I am still getting two different photographs with every shot - one that I see through the lens (jpeg) and the other, a wide-angle I did not intend (RAW). what caused this? Can it be repaired?
    Thank you for reading.

2. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Are you shooting an aspect ratio other than 4:3? Olympus has this quirk where it shows you your chosen aspect ratio on the screen, but the actual RAW file is still the full 4:3. Metadata indicates your desired cropping, so Lightroom (and probably others) will display the RAW file as 3:2 or 16:9. (When you want to change the cropping in Lightroom, you can then “uncrop” it back to the full 4:3 frame.)

When shooting RAW + JPG with 3:2 or 16:9, when the photo is being reviewed (i.e that 1-2 second preview you get as it’s saved to memory) you’ll see an overlay of your aspect ratio over the 4:3 RAW. It’s quite confusing and can give one the impression that something went wrong.

3. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012
    I'd like to echo Ellsass and ask you to check to see what aspect ratios you are shooting at. This is the only thing that I can think of that can cause what you are describing.

4. Cameramaven

Cameramaven New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2014
    St. Paul MN
    Barbara Dodge
    Question answered in record time

I finally broke down and read the manual and I quote:
    "# Cautions
    • JPEG images are cropped to the selected aspect ratio; RAW images, however, are not
    cropped but are instead saved with information on the selected aspect ratio.
    • When RAW images are played back, the selected aspect ratio is shown by a frame.
    Thank you very much for replies. I am going to like this site very much.
    (insert emoticon for feeling stupid?)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cameramaven

Cameramaven New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2014
    St. Paul MN
    Barbara Dodge
    THANK - I finally read the manual after 2+ years. I buy everything at B&H

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cameramaven

Cameramaven New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2014
    St. Paul MN
    Barbara Dodge
    Exactly. Thank you for the reply. I was beginning to suspect that was the case so read manual.
    I'm liking your "quite confusing" note. There are a lot of details to this little sweetie - I have a friend
    who has been a pro photog since he was 16 and he is afraid of his E-5 :smile:

7. Cameramaven

Cameramaven New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2014
    St. Paul MN
    Barbara Dodge
    Actually, it is cropping in the 4:3 setting as well. Full frame is a 'way larger aspect than what is shown in either eyepiece or screen. When I shoot in RAW only and then click to view result it shows me the cropped area on top of the much larger actual capture. Then if I click "edit" it will give a choice to crop to ratio and save RAW file as shot. It will also let me save and print the larger "panoramic" version. It is like a friend now - little quirks you just have to live with. Plus it allows me to re-adjust borders if I slightly miss a shot:smile:

8. Cameramaven

Cameramaven New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2014
    St. Paul MN
    Barbara Dodge
    OK very last post. Still had problem. Combed through all settings one last time. Digital Tele-Converter was ON - even after wiping all settings and going to default. Odd but not fatal. So, now it is off and M-5 is back to normal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.