1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

OLYMPUS E-PM2 White with Silver 14-42mm $249 Free Shipping NeweggFlash

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by YGB, Apr 29, 2014.

1. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Interesting that Olympus has the same price on their Reburb. The Newegg deal has the 1 year warranty so I'm assuming it's new condition.

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I like that they, according to Newegg, the E-Pm2 won the DPreview Silver "Reward". Heckuva deal.

3. marcelolopezjr

marcelolopezjr Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2014
    South Florida
    ML
  4. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    DFW, TX
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    Are you referring to the refurbs deal they had? I think $199 is pretty good for new stock.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Uh - white body with silver lens. I'm surprised they're asking as much as $249 for it!! :wink:

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It could be worse. For a while there were some deals on the red model.

8. jere lee

jere lee Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2010
    Are you saying a white one is not as good as black. I thought they worked the same, it's all a matter of opinion about color. In a year you can't give either one away anyway.

9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    Unless Olympus and Panasonic update their sensor this year, if they hold tight at 16mp I think these E-PM2s will hold value. Regardless of price the current Olympus camera line-up is quite mature image-wise and even the lowly E-PM2 can produce professional-caliber photos!

10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-PM2 prices are so low that I don't think it's important whether it'll hold value or not. It's currently the best value in m43 lineup by a mile. I use E-PM2 and E-M10 and the IQ is indistinguishable. E-PM2 is great as a second body provided that your other camera uses same battery, e.g. E-M10:) 
    I can't imagine I need better sensor than what we currently have. Oly should spend their R&D on improving on-sensor PDAF and capturing sports photography market.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    With the E-PM2 using the same battery as the E-M10, it makes it easier to travel with using shared batteries. That's another reason why I jumped on the $199 E-PM2 deal! If Olympus can get it's hybrid focusing to trickle to all it's bodies, I can really see ditching the DSLRs for all but the most intensive shooting scenarios.

12. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I'm of the opinion that any M43 camera with a current generation sensor that has already been discounted significantly from is intro price t'll hold it's value reasonably well until cameras with tangibly better sensors are available - unless it was well over-priced at it's intro like the E-P5.

13. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I thought that too when I bought my PM2 for a steal price of $350 with kit lens! I do think $200 is the low water mark for new Oly's though.

I'm not sure if you've ever tried to sell an older generation camera, but I've tried to sell a PM1, PL3 and GF3, even at the $100 mark, no interest. We're talking a tank of gas cheap. I think once its older tech, no one wants them.

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Actually, last month, I was able to sell a pristine E-PL2 - a bright red one, no less - for the same price for which I purchased it for about 8 months earlier. Basically, my rental cost for the camera for 8 months came out to the paypal fees and cost of shipping. Partly it was because I split the kit, and sold the lens and body for more separately than they would have commanded bundled together. Also, when I bought it, there were several of them being sold, but when I sold it, there were far fewer of them out there - pretty sure it was just an issue of selling it at the right time, when there was NOT a glut of them on the market.

I happened to find someone who wanted a cheap emergency backup body for his E-PL5, and wanted to pay no more than $120 for it - and I was able to get $70 for the 14-42 Mk II kit lens. I had bought the kit as an Oly factory refurb for $189 earlier, and it had fewer than 1000 clicks on it (I pretty quickly had upgraded to a Panasonic G5 and Oly E-PL5 myself).

Personally, if I didn't already have the Panasonic G5 as a second body, I'd jump at an E-PL3 body for anything near as low as $100 to be my backup camera (and in fact, I'd have gladly held onto my E-PL2 if it had been my 2nd Micro 4/3 camera, rather than my 3rd one).

But I agree with you that E-PM1s and GF3s sell for nothing nowadays - like $60-80 for the bodies depending on the condition. But IMHO that's because those cameras are burdened BOTH by old sensors and barely any direct controls.

15. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yeah, I ended up getting an E-PM2 body for about $80 net after selling the lenses on ebay. At that price, I can probably get my money back for several years to come -- used E-PM1 bodies are going for more than that...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.