1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-PM2 question/14-42 question as well.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by maflynn, May 24, 2013.

1. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    Ugh, I'm vacillating back on forth on this - its driving me up a wall.

Here's the situation.
    First, I've been largely unhappy with the OMD 12-50 kit lens (I own 20 and 45mm primes), my primes are great but in a number of situations its not feasible to use them. That is, I cannot easily swap lenses with out possibly comprising the camera, or situation (think changing lenses in disneyworld).

So I'm like well maybe get one of the 14-42 (or possibly the panny 14-45). The price for new lenses is in the 250 to 300+ range (I'm hesitant to get used but they're in the neighborhood of 100 - 150 for the oly 14-42). Kind of pricey to get a lens that I already have covered (but admittedly I'm not happy with the size of the 12-50). For a little more money I can buy a PM2 with the 14-42 lens. The smaller form factor of the camera has advantages in some situations but I'm spending 400+ for a camera that will see light usage. I can see using PM2 for informal family outings and as a backup to my OMD when I take that out on vacation or other instances.

Am I crazy to be thinking of replacing my 12-50? Its an ok, lens but its a bit larger then I prefer and its not the best lens on the long end of the spectrum. yet it does a decent job and spending money on the lens that I already have the focal length covered doesn't seem to wise

Then there's spending in excess of 400 for the lens and a camera body that will split duity with the OMD.

Thoughts/opinions on my incoherent ramblines

2. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    everyone has different lenses that work for their needs. sounds like your 12-50 may not be meeting yours.

i'm very happy with the E-PM2 and the kit lens, although i do plan to be adding more lenses in the not-too-distant future. btw, lots of people on this board and other camera boards have 2 cameras - it's not unusual at all.

3. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    I've owned two DSLR bodies back in the day as well, its just hard to drop $4xx :redface:

The 12-50 isn't bad per say though I'm unhappy with the physical size and its performance outside of the 40mm range in a number of situations.

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Why would you be hesitant to buy a used 14-42 Oly lens? Most of the members here simply buy the kit and never use the lens (Not sure why anyone would buy the body only, ever, when the kit lens is usually included for another $50), and $100 should be the top amt to pay for one anyway. If I had one I'd sell it to you for $100 in a heartbeat, they just aren't worth that much! If you need a second body by all means go for the e-pm2 kit, but if you don't, just buy a used one from an established member.

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I bought my E-M5 body only, as I kept the 14-42IIR when I sold my E-PM1 body. I prefer to shoot primes and now own the 17/1.8 and 45/1.8. I won't change lenses in certain venues or under certain conditions. I often shoot with both bodies, each with one of the primes mounted, or sometimes one with the 17/1.8 and the other with my seldom used 40-150R. I've thought many times about selling my 14-42IIR because it seldom gets used and duplicates a range I've got well covered, as I also own the 14/2.5 pancake.

But I keep hanging onto it! I've seen new or lightly used ones from kits sell for as low as $75, and every once in a while, I only want to take one body and one lens ... and know I'm likely to need more than one focal length. It takes nice pictures, especially in good light.

If you'd like a second body such as the E-PM2, go for a kit. But if you really only want the E-M5 you already own, pick up a 14-42IIR used. Ask to see photos taken with the lens. Ask the seller if their lens is a good copy. If I get an answer like, "I'm no pixel peeper," I move on. Just make sure you use PayPal and pay with a credit card in case you happen to buy a rare dud and the seller refuses to take the lens back, saying something like "there's a risk to buying used." The chances of this happening to you are slim, and no one wants to have to file a PayPal dispute. But it'll protect you in a case like this. .... And this has only happened to me once in over 12 years of buying and selling used.

My $2 worth. :biggrin:

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    To me the solution is obvious. Buy the E-PM2 body and mount the Lumix 20mm/1.7 on it, then mount the m.Zuiko 45mm/1.8 on the E-M5. You like the quality (and I would wager the speed) of the primes, but you don't like swapping lenses... plus you already own the primes in question! That is the only sensible solution - downgrading to slow, soft kit zooms is not the answer. Your only issue with the primes is the lens swapping so the solution to that problem is a second body, not abandonment of the primes you love. Your problem is swapping lenses, and there is a standard method for addressing that issue which does not require any downgrade. This is the way we deal with primes in a fast-paced environment.

You will also gain all the other advantages of both a second and compact body. You will have a back-up when necessary, and when you really want to travel light (ie, you can now have a camera on you during non-photographic excursions) you can mount the pancake on the Mini and just take that. In situations where not only swapping lenses is inconvenient but also swapping camera settings, you can have one camera set to different settings as well. It's like having zoom for camera settings and not just focal length. The advantages of a two-body system are huge, especially when they're both mounted with small unobtrusive primes like the 20mm and 45mm. If you get used to a dual-body system then your E-PM2 won't see "light usage". It'll come out with you every time you bring out the E-M5, and may even come out alone in lighter situations. My compact "secondary" cameras end up seeing more usage than my larger "primary" cameras because they are always there to back-up the primary, plus serve other uses on top of that.

Another slow kit zoom on the other hand, won't do anything more for you at all! You'll only be going backwards by leaving your primes in the bag. Plus with your second body you can totally eliminate your zoom lens, which provides you with more space for that second body (and the Mini is quite a small addition in space). And you will be extending the life of your bodies by spreading your usage between them. You will soon find that your optics are the key to your camera system and your bodies are merely accessories to support that glass. So use that accessory to get the most of your best glass.

I would seriously consider also picking up an EVF for the E-PM2 though, if that can be fit into the budget. Any one will do, including the cheapest VF-3.

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^
    Yes, having that second body is fantastic for all the reasons Ned describes. I also own the VF-3 and am very happy with it, too. :smile:

8. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    I went to my local camera shop and got to play with a PM2 and fell in love with the size and action. That store didn't have the black one in stock but one of its other stores does, so I'll be looking to pick up this bad boy.

I couldn't believe how small it was, its just what I was looking for. They also mentioned they'll be running a promotion in a few weeks to bring the price down and he'll be willing to refund me the difference when that occurs.

Thanks for everyone's posts, and insights :)