Olympus E-pm2 or Sony RX100 or...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by elandel, Jul 2, 2013.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi all. I was looking for a compact-pocketable (or nearly pocketable camera) with excellent IQ and thought it could be interesting buying a Sony RX100, but then I said to myself: "What about an Oly E-pm2?" Also considering that I have a good Oly m4/3 system, then the Sony RZ100 M2 was announced but reviews are not all so good in terms of IQ at low ISO due to its new backlit sensor.

Well now I'm thinking about the original RX100 - first type or E-pm2; have you suggestions.
    I need it for taking with me on everyday use, also this summer when I'm going on holiday to my usuall seaside place.

So it has to be light, excellent IQ, easy to carry in a small bag where I put all my things -glasses, money etc.

Can you help me choose? Is the size very different between RX100 and E-pm2?

I already have E-pl5 but will trade in for E-P5.

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I personally checked and tried a lot of cameras before I got my second body, I ended up with the E-PM2. My criteria was for it to be very small and have the same IQ as the E-M5, easy usability in manual mode.

Well the E-PM2 fits the criteria very well. It's very small and I find the controls very very intuitive, all the important settings are within easy reach if configured properly.

Same IQ as your E-PL5 and for me very pocketable even with the 17mm f/1.8. Also, you got your m43 lenses already so another m43 makes more sense.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The RX100 is about the same size as the E-PM2 sans lens. So if you only add the 14/2.5 or 20/1.7 it's not so bad. But any of the kit lenses (except the PZ) really kill the size in comparison.

So, if your're happy shooting 28 or 40mm FL equivalent it's easy to choose the better IQ of the E-PM2. But, if you want a handy zoom range in a totally pocketable camera then the RX100 wins out, imo. IQ isn't that far behind either, plus you get better video and some of Sony's other tricks (panorama, HDR, low light mode).

4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    You got it. Thats what's making decisions difficult for me: pocketable with better zoom range and not so different IQ or better versatility of E-PM2? I really can't decide. The new RX100 M2 is too pricey for a compact but is also more versatile with hotshoe etc. But puttung a EVF on it is another 450 Euros really crazy for me.

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Other options ..
    Nikon cool pix A
    Ricoh
    Sigma Dp2Merill

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Is the E-MP2 much smaller than E-pl5? I just can't find ome in a shop to compare size.

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks but I want the most pocketable and pricewise the RX100 I can find used at 350 euro so I don't want to spend much more. Have already too much gear.:biggrin:
    My wife will kill me....

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's what exactly I want ...:wink::wink::wink: I will get ur all MFT gear as ur forum friend :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. Lol
    Cheers

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Where have you been reading that? I know there was that one about the lower DR at low ISO but every other review I've seen of the RX100M2 with actual pictures have concluded that the new BSI sensor is better.

I consider the Sony sensor in the OMD and now in the PM2 to have brought M43 up to near NEX sensor performance. I use my RX100 far more than my NEX simply because it is so pocketable. The best camera you have is the camera you have with you. I find the RX100 to be close enough to replace my NEX in 90% of situations. While a PM2 may only be a little bit bigger than a RX100 with the 14mm lens, that little bit would make it unpocketable. I consider the RX100 to be at the limits of pocketability. A lot has to do with form factor as well as size. My Q is tiny, but that classic body + lens shape is awkward in terms of pocketablity. Also, with just a 14mm lens you will only have one wide focal length as oppose to a zoom. If you add even the PZ zoom, then the package becomes much bigger.

10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Actually, the Olympus 14-42 lenses don't really kill the size comparison.

11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'm reading posts about a bit smugged jpg with RX100 M", but really don't know if it's all forum hipe or real stuff. In any case its really way too expensive for me so I think it might be better buying a RX100. How is your user experience with it? I mean if you go in dim light places like Churches or very lit like beach?

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Smart:rofl:
    But with compact size I can tell my wife it was very cheap.:rolleyes:
    With E-mp2 I can say its the E-pl5:wink:

13. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    The RX100 is really pocketable, the E-PM2 is not much smaller than the E-PL5, only a bit thinner

14. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    check out this site for good size comparisons:

LINK

15. Rinaldo

Rinaldo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
  16. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    If she does, can you put me down for your lenses ... :wink:

I am thinking of an e-pm 2 as a second body to my e-m5 so thanks for starting this thread, I will sell my starter E-pl1, kit lens and 12-50 to make some space, and with the offer of a free 17mm 2.8 with the e-pm2 it is very cheap. Can anyone think of anything wrong with my logic ... ?

17. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    I think they do. They are almost 2" long (unless I am missing a smaller one). Adding that makes it very tough to put in a jeans or shorts pocket. For me, honestly, even adding a pancake like the 14/2.5 may be too much.

Someone else said the RX100 is about max size to be pocketable. I might agree with that if I tried to take an E-PM2 + 14/2.5 in and out of my pants pocket all day.

18. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I love my RX100. It is a slippery little thing though. Definitely get something like a leather skin for it. I have no problems with it in churches. More than able to handle the lighting in there. More problems on the beach though. I wish it did have a faster shutter speed or a built in ND filter. Even at the smallest aperature and the fastest speed, I find that I'm overexposed out in the bright day light at times. Some people carry around ND filter and hold it in front of the lens.

Since you brought up churches, mandatory church picture. Taken with a RX100 of course.

church.

19. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    The E-PM2 with the Panasonic 14-42 PZ pancake is a sweet compact kit. And if you have some other m4/3 glass, it makes a pretty versatile portable package.

20. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I think all this discussion points to the fact that Olympus (or Panasonic) needs to make a compact 4/3 fixed lens camera with a lens that retracts into the body when not in use.

If they can't do a good zoom lens, then at least a fixed wide angle like on the GR or Coolpix A.