1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-PM2 kit - $400 price tag

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by dhazeghi, Sep 13, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    According to 43rumors.com, the E-PM successor will be priced at 400 dollars (and Euros), whereas the E-PL5 will be 600.

On the one hand, that's an awesome price (the E-PM1 was introduced at $500). On the other, it has me wondering how much of an upgrade it will be. In particular, will it have the E-M5 sensor, or simply a bunch of minor tweaks? Perhaps only the E-PL5 will see a sensor upgrade? Less than a week until we know for sure...

DH

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The lower prices may reflect the inexpensive lens being packaged with the bodies.

3. dwkdnvr

dwkdnvr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Denver
    It will be interesting to see if these prices hold up, and if so with what lenses - the PM2 is awfully cheap if it has the upgraded sensor even if that's the price with the 15mm lens. I'm really hoping the PL5 is available with something other than the 14-42 since I already have it - I'd take body-only, or 15mm cap, or bundled with a prime of some sort in preference to another copy of the 14-42.

I'm certainly feeling at the moment like the PL5 will be my next camera, although I'm still not entirely sure I'm ok in the long run without an EVF.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The lower price might also be to be more competitive. There are several new mirrorless systems out or coming soon that the PENs have to deal with. Personally I have always thought all m4/3 cameras were a bit overpriced, not as bad as the Nikon 1s are but still a bit higher than what they should be.

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    They only need to do 1 thing - replace the sensor, and I'll pre-order it at that price immediately! Especially if the new, ahem, lens/body cap is included.

6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Wow, that would be a great price. I really like the PM1 except for two things: (a) its sensor, which is dramatically worse than the OM-D's (although it can still take good pictures); and (b) its IBIS, which is for all intents and purposes worthless. Give it the OM-D sensor and fix the IBIS without making it bigger and I'd almost favor it over the heavier, bulkier OM-D. Almost.

I'd definitely favor it over the GX1, which is a great camera but noticeably larger than the E-PM1.

7. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    I leave mine on mode 3 for IBIS and have no issues at all....

8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    My only 'issue' is that it doesn't work!

(And I know what working IS is like . . . I had it on my E-PL1, have it with the Panny 14-45mm lens, and have it in spades with the OM-D.:smile:)

9. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    43rumors is reporting it with the 16 megapixel sensor and touchscreen. As long as the VF-2 still works, I can access the SCP in a halfways sensible manner via the touchscreen, and I can map focus zoom assist to a button, they've got my money.

10. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I'm skeptical about this price, I think $400 is too low.

But I'd love to be proven wrong.

11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The E-M5 16 megapixel sensor and touchscreen on the E-PM2 for $400! That thing will sell like hotcakes!

12. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    If it does indeed have the improved sensor, fixed IBIS, and touchscreen for $400 and still comes with a lens, it's a day 1 buy for me.

13. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    43 Rumors posted this image . The frame around the edges makes it look THIN! Nice touch with the grip. Also, the E-PL5's grip is swappable, like the EP3, and the mode dial is on the shutter button side, so maaaybe it does have a pop-up flash.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    $400 kit with lens including E-M5 sensor is a great deal depending on which lens is included. Then again this is where the E-PMx series should have been IMO.

E-PMx - $400
    E-PLx - $600
    E-Px - $800
    E-M5 - $1000

The whole series was $100 too dear last year. Now we have a hole at $800 with the E-Px gone missing, but at least the other two PENs have a more sensible price.

15. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Based on the photos, I'm guessing that the E-PM2 is going to feel more cheaply made than the E-PM1. That front panel is very reminiscent of the E-PL1, as is the 'frame around the edges' Blastop referred to. I never had any problem with the build quality of my E-PL1, but the E-PM1 definitely felt nicer to me. That said, if Olympus is indeed paring back from the E-PM1, that might be part of the reasoning behind a proposed lower price.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Maybe the "lens" will be the 15.

17. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Prices look good, looks like Olympus is being competitive with the other mirrorless manufacturers

18. dwkdnvr

dwkdnvr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Denver
    Interesting that the updated rumors quote the price in Euros and then convert the USD price from there. This would put the pricing at $520/$780 which is obviously a noticeable jump from $399/$599. It will definitely be interesting to see how the US pricing plays out - a PL5 kit at $599 is very attractive compared to the OM-D, whereas at $780 the OM-D body only at $1k starts to look like a possibility if you don't need the kit lens.

Also curious as to the actual differences between the PL and PM. One has to think there's more to it than just an additional dial - can't see that being worth €200 by itself.

19. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    No way the earlier rumor pricing was correct. Your updated pricing of US780 for the PL5 is probably more correct given the current exchange rate from Euro to US$. Which then begs the question of how much more we can stretch for the E-m5. I think I'd get an E-M5 if they're within $300. Unless the PL5 had an extra control dial and 5point IBIS.

20. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Pricing in the U.S. is never based on straight currency exchange. In fact it's more often a 1-to-1 relationship, as in if it's 600 Euros then it's $600 in the U.S. I'll go out on a limb and say the E-PL5 will definitely not cost $780.

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if the E-PM2 and E-PL5 come in at $500 and $700 just like they did last year.

Extra dial (mode dial?), probably a programmable Fn. button, flip screen, removable grip, uh... anything else? Maybe they've made it thick enough to include a pop-up flash? I would pay $200 extra for those features I think. Maybe.